3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Question  (Read 129 times)

Offline MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bow Question
« on: August 22, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
I was wondering about something the other day.  If I have a bow that is say 55# @ 28"  and I draw 27", is there any realistic difference between that and having a custom bow built specifically for  say 52# @ 27"? Assuming all else being equal - (same bowyer, same design, same materials) is there any reason to do it other than just because I want to?

Am I missing anything, other than the 27" may stack sooner?  I am not all that performance driven - just curious more than anything.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Question
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
Im not a bowyer but i beleave there would be no difference. Now if there was a large difference in draw length say bow marked at 28" and you draw 25 or 32 you might be getting out of the sweet spot of the draw curve for that bow but a 1" difference should not see any difference. Like i said im not a bowyer and i may be compleatly wrong.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
The only difference that I would anticipate is that the custom bow will perform better only if it costs you a fortune.   lol

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
If you are not performance driven, it will not make much difference in most cases. production bows are built to withstand extreme draw lengths, and guys with shorter draw lengths do not get the performance that can be obtained with a longer draw. 2" of power stroke makes a big difference on your arrow trajectory.  

Having a bow built to perform it's best at your draw length and weight, with the grip shape matched to your exact specifications and shooting style, can, and will improve your shooting skill a lot.

of course a custom bow is a bit more expensive. but a lot of guys out there think it's worth their investment.   Kirk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©