3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your hunting ground.  (Read 243 times)

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
Your hunting ground.
« on: August 23, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
The blue line outlines what I have access to. The red dot is stand location and the yellow line is the major trail.

We have been in the last 2 areas for years my dad started hunting the spots back in the '70's. the first picture is my somewhat newly acquired grounds where I have seen quite a few deer the past couple years there. Just excited for this coming season. What are your setups?
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your hunting ground.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
I never like to set up close to the edge of a woods. Deer seem to be more wary when approaching woods or leaving woods.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
Well first off, I am not sure of the acreage but I would have a lot more stands than you have! I hunt several properties and even on ones that are 5-6 acres I have sevral stands. One 132 acre piece has 33 treestands on it.  I would set up a few more at least if I were you. Shawn
Shawn

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
X2 what Shawn said. I don't like to hunt a stand much more than 2-3 times a season

doug77

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
There isn't a lot of acreage. and the last picture there are more hunters in the area and we are limited to the south part of the property. These are just stands, this doesn't include the multiple places for a natural blind.  :)
55# Kodiak Mag

->>>-------->

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
Prolly crazy but not knowing your wind direction I`ll guess. On the top pic I would come in near the top blue line and go in the woods where the little inlet? is and hunt near the trail.I don`t hunt bit field areas but do hunt islands in the swamp kinda the same way. Most of the time there is a whole lot more going on in the middle of the island than the end. Not apples to apples I know but good luck.RC

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
I would move it into the woods more and closer to the trail intersections.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
There is no stand location in the spot RC. It is a pretty thin woods and low areas where it floods. From my stand I have a shot to the field where they follow the outside edge and the trail is about 15 yds from my stand in the woods. Those are the most heavily used areas. The second pic we hunt the fence row because they travel that from a creek bottom to the south which is out of the picture and take that north through the woods or along it right by  our stand. The stand in the 2nd pic on the lower right is a newer stand but sits off the field allowing a shot and a trai on the inside of the woods at 20 yds. There is a motorcross race every year and the trail follows the east side of that woods and angles to the corner of the adjacent property to the lower right. This is a major highway after hundreds of dirt bikes run it. The third pic is a stand set about 60 yds off a thicket. This has been a stand sight for 30+ years. We choose the edge of fields because it offers you more light when shooting time is getting close to expire or begin. The extra light on the edge of the field is really nice at dawn/dusk. Trust me these stands have produced year after year. At least the bottom 2. Gonna hunt the top stand more this year.
55# Kodiak Mag

->>>-------->

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
In Nevada we find water.  From there we find what's using it. There we watch for activity. Spot and stalk. Our seasons are draw and are short-couple of weeks. I surely do miss living in OK or VA or NC. But then a 28 incher shows up......
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 06:51:00 AM »
those look like some areas i hunted in brownstown and reddington....good luck id try to move in closer to the thicker woods especialy closer to the rut..
i like biscuits

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 07:13:00 AM »
As I was slowly studying your pictures, I was thinking that looks an awful lot like the woodlots and fields of Indiana. LOL

I agree with Shawn. I have a 25-acre farm and a tree stand or blind for every 2-½ acre.

In the first picture, I think I would also have a setup at the other end of the trail.

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 07:23:00 AM »
Black lol you know as good as me that there is limited hunting ground here. In the 2nd picture we dont put stands in the woods because it is thick in the middle and the deer bed there plus being on the outside od the woods on opposite corners my father will hunt one stand and I will hunt the other. We have that area on "lockdown" without spooking the deer bedded there. The bottom one is my least favorite place to hunt there are 4 more hunters in that blue area...we have the best spot of all of them because it borders they heavy property to the south. I really hate how the farmer lets so many people hunt there. And on the top one I am in a dispute with an amish farmer who owns 30 acres and has all the land surrounding the area I hunt all to himself. There isn't much room for me to move also, the wind and sun played a major role in where I placed that stand. I really don't like the land in N Indiana.  :(
55# Kodiak Mag

->>>-------->

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 07:48:00 AM »
KodiakMag, I'm not sure where abouts you are in N. Indiana, but I really enjoy bowhunting up in Mongo.

Pigeon River Fish & Wildlife Area, about 40 miles north of Ft. Wayne, is dedicated to providing quality hunting and fishing opportunities while maintaining 11,605 acres of land, 529 acres of lakes and impoundments and 17 miles of river.

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
I'm in Elkhart County.
55# Kodiak Mag

->>>-------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©