3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what brace height is faster  (Read 616 times)

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
what brace height is faster
« on: August 23, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
I know it's not speed but shot placement, that kills   :archer2:    BUT I was wondering what is faster a low brace height or a higher?
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what brace height is faster
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
Lower brace heigth would mean a longer powerstroke, so I would think it would be faster than a higher brace heigth on the sam bow.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
Low.  Simple physics on this one.  More travel time on the string equals more energy released into the arrow and more speed.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
Low, to a certain point, if too low you also rob the bow of speed. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
Help a fellow out....if lower brace means faster speed i.e. longer power stroke, then why does higher brace weaken arrow dynamic spine? Do I just have it backwards?
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
morrison dakota carbon foam 62" 50 @28

BH 6 3/4 186fps,

Bh 7 1/2 193fps

just some of my own experimenting
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
Help a fellow out....if lower brace means faster speed i.e. longer power stroke, then why does higher brace weaken arrow dynamic spine? Do I just have it backwards?
You have it right.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »
Good diagram.

Thanks.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
A too low BH can result in a very quick trip to the emergency room.  Well, not really, but if you shoot a low BH bow with poor form, it will eat your forearm and/or wrist alive.

I shot an ET Williams Carbon Spyder with the recommended 5-3/4" BH without an armguard.  The resultant impact of the string with my forearm was a purple patch of skin that was about 4" long, 1" wide and around 1/4" high!  OUCH!    :(    :eek:    :scared:

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by WildmanSC:
A too low BH can result in a very quick trip to the emergency room.  Well, not really, but if you shoot a low BH bow with poor form, it will eat your forearm and/or wrist alive....
never happen if you know how to grip the bow.  i never use an armguard, and i shoot longbows with 5-3/4" to 6-1/2" brace heights,
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Red4arm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
changing the brace height on the same bow by twisting the string will not give an accurate speed comparison, due to the poundage at the same draw length would be higher with the higher brace height.
I believe this is the result smoking feathers had.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
L82Hunt....Appreciate the diagram
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
Yeah but Rob, you have "skinny" wrist !!  {he he} ..... Seriously, I always go as high as I can for comfort and quiet, speed Im not concerned about, but to answer your question, lower ...

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by L82HUNT:

Originally posted by Bud B.:
You have it right.
    [/b]
I don't know who came up with this drawing stating that a higher brace weakens the spine. but it's a false statement.....

Yup... you got it backwards BLD...

the lower brace height weakens the spine a bit due to a longer power stroke. it also increases performance to a certain point, like Shawn pointed out.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 06:29:00 AM »
So, differing opinions....

From Stu's calc:

5. Fine tuning tips:
Once the arrow dynamic matches the requirement of the bow (approx within 2#) then fine tuning can be
accomplished in a couple ways:
a. Brace Height:
- If the arrow is slightly weak (lower dynamic spine) for what the bow needs, then lower the brace
height.
- If the arrow is slightly stiff (higher dynamic spine) for what the bow needs, then raise the brace
height.

Others?

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 07:18:00 AM »
Lowering Brace will make an arrow act stiffer... also slightly lowers the draw weight at a specific draw length… can increase the arrow speed because of a longer power stroke but excessive lowering may result in a loss of speed as well.

Raising the Brace will make an arrow act weaker.. also slightly increases the draw weight at a specific draw length. Can result in a loss in arrow speed due to a shorter power stroke but in certain conditions can result ibn increased speed because of a higher draw weight..

Mathematically the graph posted above is correct for a bow which is cut less than center shot.

All bow/arrow combinations have a sweet spot/brace height where the speed will be the highest/most efficient power stroke… this will vary from bow to bow and from arrow weight to arrow weight. The best way to see this is with a chronograph and experimentation…
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
Thanks Javi. Best answer I've read so far.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:

Originally posted by WildmanSC:
A too low BH can result in a very quick trip to the emergency room.  Well, not really, but if you shoot a low BH bow with poor form, it will eat your forearm and/or wrist alive....
never happen if you know how to grip the bow.  i never use an armguard, and i shoot longbows with 5-3/4" to 6-1/2" brace heights, [/b]
Well Rob I'd like to see you shoot a Brown Recluce like the one Wildman is talkin' about.  They're killers at that BH.  I ended up raising mine to over 7", closer to 7 1/2", and ended up with a nice quiet bow to shoot.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
Rob, please correct me if I am wrong. From shooting a lot, I have noticed a couple of things that happen to me when I shoot the wrong way, especially with a recurve bow.

1- The higher the draw weight and lighter the arrow, the more abrupt the recoil on the bow arm, and the tighter one must hold the bow to avoid left to right movement of the bow, and better the form must be.

2- When I hit my arm guard, I am doing something wrong with my form regardless if I make a good shot or not.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 02:51:00 AM »
What i'd like someone to explain to me is .....

If more energy is going into an arrow shaft due to a longer power stroke, and the arrow speed increases, the string is putting more force on the arrow shaft itself...that is a given...

So how can an arrow spine show stiffer from a lower brace height when more force is being applied to the shaft?

This doesn't make sense at all....   :dunno:    :dunno:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©