3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: South Bama Hog Hunt  (Read 352 times)

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
South Bama Hog Hunt
« on: August 23, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
Just wondering if there is any intrest in a small group getting together for some hog hunting?It will be on corp of engineers land by the river.

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: South Bama Hog Hunt
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
Sure, when and where?  Bill

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
What river and when?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
Close to the Claiborne lock and damn is what i was thinking.Thatsnot far outside of Monroeville.I have never hunted it before but i did scout it out once and there is a lot of hog sign.I will go over there and see if i can pick up some permits forms. I can go about any time so ill leave it up to you guys on a date.I know its still hot but im ready to get in the woods,lol. I live just a few miles off the 77 exit (Brewton/Repton) off interstate 65.

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
That would be the Alabama river.

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 11:31:00 PM »
Sounds good.  When?
Have hunted Claiborne, and several of the Corps. areas in that part of the state.  Issiac Creek campgrounds are nice.
Johnny/JAG
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 01:17:00 AM »
Jag, issiac creek is a great place to set up camp.Like i said, i can go any time so whenever you guys want to go we will go for it.The woods around Issiac creek are hilly for this part of the country but more open. Closer to the dam there is a lot more palmetto from what i remember.How do you like to unt pigs?I usually just ease along till i find some fresh rootin witch doesnt take long to find most times and then follow it till i see some pigs.In the palmettos a lot of times i end up right in the middle of a pack of them before i see them, that can get wild,lol.

Offline jarcher38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 01:47:00 AM »
Guys I would like to join on the hunt, I do most of my hunting in monroeville. And have hunted core land at claborn many times. As long as I can get off work I will plan on coming. Just need to know when y'all would like to go. There ain't nothing to getting the permits to hunt if it's the same as it used to be.

-Joey

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
Joey, it would be a pleasure to have you along.Maybe we can meet somewhere this weekend and plan this out a bit and figure out a good date?
I am haveing an interesting start of the day here this morning, my timber wolf brought a little fawn to the house.My son found her guarding it in the front yard.I have it sitting here in my bedroom,lol. I have no idea where the wolf brought it from so i dont know where to take it back to.

Offline hnt2mch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
hmmm aint never got me a hog before i may be interested if the group aint got to big yet depending on when ya'll are talkin bout goin
don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns....

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
hnt2, it wont be a real big group.When you want to go?

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
I am going to try and run over to Issac creek tommorrow and check things out and take a few pics to post on here.I will get info on permits too.

Offline swampmaster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
i might be interested depending on the dates. where is monroeville?

jim

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 11:43:00 PM »
If you are comeing on interstate 65 you get off on the Atmore exit (hwy21)and i think it is around 20 miles to monroeville.

Offline rjackson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 12:11:00 AM »
let us know about dates.Im up for it.

Randy

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 03:05:00 AM »
Sounds like fun to me, let us know a date.
John

Offline hnt2mch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
kit ya'll go ahead and figure your date out i have a funny schedule.but i wouldnt mind a crack at a hog!
don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns....

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
What i am thinking is whoever wants to,,lets make a one day trip the first sat in sept,the 3rd. We will scout it out and hunt a lil bit too.Then we can set a later date or dates, and all set up at Issac creek camp grounds and have a full fledge hunt and a cook out.This will make it easier to set up a good hunt for those that have to drive a good ways.Hopefully we will have some cooler weather in sept and that will make for better camping and fewer snakes in the woods.If this works out good i hope we can make this a reguler get together.As far as i am concerned it will be kid friendly too, so if you want bring your youngins.I have a teen that bowhunts too.
I can easy see this may be a good way for us to get into some hogs, get to know each other and maybe even turn into a group where we can also set up a 3D shoot once in a while too.
my email is  [email protected]    Matt

Offline Scrub_buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
If its not 95 degrees, I might be interested in that as well.

Had a continuing ed seminar last week where the Bio from Lowndes WMA talked about thier pig problem. He said they are 'eat up with em' and his pics were impressive in numbers!  He said they are tough to hunt in the day time with a gun .. I assume bows would be doubly tough?  Maybe the Corp pigs are not so smart?

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »
Scrub, they are plenty smart.They tend to lay up durring the heat of the day,best early in the morning or late evening. The exception is if it starts raining.The good thing about a light rain is you can walk quiet too. Hogs cant see near as good as a deer,cant hear as well either, but their nose is twice as good as a deer.I usually just walk around till i find fresh rootings and then follow a few steps and look,,a few steps and look some more.If you see the rootings have all of a sudden stopped,,thats a good sign they know you are around.Often i will get right in the middle of half a dozen in the palmettos before i see them.Sometimes if you see that you have spooked them you can look around and take a guess witch way they went and sort of head them off.Unless you spook them real bad,,they dont take off like deer do but usually just sort of go over the ridge to get a lil bit away from you.They are masters of being able to run thru thick brush without makeing any noise at all.You will see them running everywhere but not hear the first twig crack, just like a ghost.Because their eye sight is not that good,,you can raise your bow even when they are real close, and get a shot off, much easier than a deer.If their butt is to you they wont see you at all,,they cant look over their shoulder like a deer can.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©