3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk hunt in UT  (Read 526 times)

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk hunt in UT
« on: August 23, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
This past Sat was the opener for UT elk and deer. Unfortunately I do not have a deer tag for UT this year so I was after elk. My bro in law talked my Dad and I to come to southern UT and hunt elk. My Dad has very bad clots in his leg and lungs and we almost lost him a couple times a year or so ago, so I am enjoying being in the outdoors with him more and more. Even if that means less "hunting"

We set up a can to shoot at in camp and got ready for Sat by touching up broadheads and reminissing about the past, when there were actually deer in UT  :)
Sat morn we head up a trail that is supposed to hold elk. We saw a lot of sign on the trail and a great wallow. It was an easy walk for Dad so we decided to set up a blind for the evening hunt.

On the way back to cam,p we came across a great meadow to stump shoot in.

With no elk seen in the morning, we discussed where to hunt that evening. I knew my old man wanted me around and suggested I set a tree stand by his blind. I thought why not and we spent the evening watching the wallow.
Well nothing came in that night, but it was great to spend time with Dad.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk hunt in UT
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
We didn't hunt on Sun. A personal choice, but were ready to hit it hard on Mon. My Dad suggested I put on some miles and find some elk to hunt. So he dropped me off and headed back up the trail we hunted Sat. I worked my way up the mountain then side hilled around then cut a trail that took me back to camp. I still hunted the whole way, about 5 miles and saw zip. Man what a bummer! It was beautiful though.

" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
So we debated on what to do on Mon night. We decides to hit another trail further up the mountain. I was determined to find some elk, I really wanted to hunt them with Dad, but I needed to find them first. On the way in we hit a meadow and I could see a fresh rub from 400 yards away. It was one of the neatest i have seen. There were still strips of velvet hanging from it and on the groung.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by steadman:
... I am enjoying being in the outdoors with him more and more. Even if that means less "hunting"...
 ...I knew my old man wanted me around and suggested I set a tree stand by his blind. I thought why not and we spent the evening watching the wallow.
Well nothing came in that night, but it was great to spend time with Dad.
Your heads on straight. You will be thankful later you "made the time"

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
Waiting for more.... :)

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
:campfire:
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
From there started one of the longest afternoons I've had in a long time. I hiked down and then around and back up through some of the thickest stuff I've ever hunted. I didn't even cut a track! This is where my bro in law saw hundreds of elk last year. What a change. All in all I covered over 10 miles still hunting that day. Needless to say I was drained. When I got back to the truck, my bro in law informed me to call my wife ASAP! That's never good. We found a place with coverage and basically I did a late drive home last night. that cut the trip short by 2 days. My dreams of breaking my 23 year streak are slowly fading as I don't know if I will get back out. But this just illustrates to take evry moment in the outdoors you can, you never know when the time might get cut short.

I am reminded of what my son's footabll coach told all the kids before the season," Boys you better love the work and effort you put in everyday, because games are short." I couldn't agree more. We have to love the work, sweat and tears we put into hunting (especially elk hunting  :)  because those times with the game is short. Good luck everyone!!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
Just great to be out in that country...thanks for taking us along. Keep that big boy that thrashed that tree around until Sept.1!!!! haha
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
Ryan

Great pics my friend, glad you were able to spend a few days hunting with your dad even if the time was cut short.  Hope all is well on the home front and best wishes.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
Ryan, great pics and story. Thanks for sharing! Those lessons we learn and the work it takes to do the things we love are so very important. Glad you got to spend some time with your pop. There will be other elk seasons and it will be that much more sweet when it happens   :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
Good story!  :thumbsup:
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Ryan, I enjoyed it!
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
Really enjoyed your pics and story.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
Beautiful country there! Thanks for taking us along!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
Thanks Ryan.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
Time with your dad in beautiful country sounds like a very successful hunt!

I sure hope all is OK at home. Take care Ryan and thanks for sharing.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
Thanks guys! How'd the gator hunt go Terry?

Offline Old Chief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
Thank you for a great story and pictures

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
Great story Ryan! Now cap if off with some elk for the freezer! That's so great that you have your dad to hunt with, I wish I did. See you in November!
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
Amen brother.  

P.S.  LOVE that backward ballcap    ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©