3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Magyar sport horse bow / Mongolian bow ??? Please help  (Read 324 times)

Offline Wayde Burke

• Trad Bowhunter
Magyar sport horse bow / Mongolian bow ??? Please help
« on: August 23, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
Hey i was looking at a horse bow and couldnt find one for a decent price, does anyone know of a person who makes them or sells them for a decent price? All of the bows ive found were around $400-$500 and thats a bit much. I'm specifically looking for a #40-#45 at a 28" draw.
Thnx

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Magyar sport horse bow / Mongolian bow ??? Please help
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
If you are interested in learning to shoot a horsebow with a thumbring, don't start with a hoesebow.  Get one of the fiberglass kids bows and practice with it, it will take some time to build up a callus on your thumb so you can shoot your normal weight.  That said, look at the 3-Rivers Korean horsebow.  Bill

Offline Capt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
For a starter bow I think the Kaya Korean from 3Rivers would be a good start.  Fast and no hand shock.  Not the easiest bow to shoot nor the prettiest but excellent for a start into the Asian bow world.

Offline smilinicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
Magyar were Hungarians, not asian. Good luck finding your bow.

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
Unless you draw more than 29-30", stay away from the mongolian bows/hungarian bows.Slow as molasses. The grozer bio-composites beeing the exception, but they're a re not available over the counter in the US. Especially stay away from the ones with leather-wrapped limbs and long fat wood siyahs. Get yourself a Kaya and check korean traditional archery on y**tu**. The korean thumbring doesn't need a callus or anything to work properly, beside good fit. Also check out the thumb glove from greattree archery, importers of the kaya korean bow.
You may also ask for a Wind Fighter.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
tecum-tha, I only draw 28 and I would not call my Hungarian horse bow slow by any means.

Mine is an all wood composite and is only wrapped at the joints near the tip and the riser.

God bless,Mudd

PS: It might be a bit slower than my Korean bow(prototype, carbon limbs covered with birch bark.)
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Pope Co.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
I'm interested in hearing "why" you guys have horse bows. I don't mean that in a condescending way. I am genuinely curious.

I love archery and I love riding. And a few times I have practiced from the saddle. It is a real cool feeling doing two traditional things at one time. Working on the "desensitizing process" so Ole Hooter would stand still while I practiced was cool to.

I was able to use my 64 inch recurve. When I said, "I have practiced from horseback", we were just standing still. I would one day like to get to the level of cantoring and shooting at the same time. Maybe one day.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
Easy answer!

They will fling an arrow and I love shooting.

Something different that I'd never tried until I got these two.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Capt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
As far as why do you have a "horsebow" that is like asking why someone shoots a longbow?  Quite simply it is the style of bow, and the the style of shooting I like (thumb draw).  I do not shoot from horse back, but because the Asian style bows are in general shorter so they make a great hunting weapon.

It is not everyone's cup of tea but that is what makes the world go around.

On another note no the Magyars were not Asian however the bow they used originated in the Eurasian steppe and the so called "Magyar" bow we see today is actually the same bow used throughout Central Asia.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
I like horsebows too! I own a 48 lbs Grozer Magyar and it is very fassst! (mine has leather-wrappes limbs and long fat wood siyahs and yes, it smokes an arrow) I like it because you have to shoot it very fast, just draw and let go. It helps me with training my instinctive skills. Those bows really put a smile on your face! Once you are used to them, they shoot pretty accurate too.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
I shot one of the Mongolian bows about a month ago and I could not believe the amount of shock that it gave off.  Hurt my whole arm up to my shoulder.

I can say I did it, and doubt I will ever do it again.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
Mike, you're correct. A direct result of too heavy siyahs and a direct contact with your hand to the "no mass" riser.
In the US there are no bio-composites. The newer Grozer bio-composite models are closer to the original dimensions and are thus better performers. The older and cheaper magyar models are upsized from the original designs, to allow for greater drawlength using the Kassai shooting style. And Kassai bows are not known for their speed. If they seem fast it is because they shoot very lightweight arrows.
None of the Magyars is even on par with a reflex longbow using 10 grain/lbs arrows.
The statement, that you have to shoot them fast is pure BS, sorry dutchman. Every traditional bow can be shot slow or fast.
Now, I shoot a Hwarang Korean bow as my main hunting bow, pulling it 25.5-26" and have between 58# and 60# draw weight. My average arrow speed is 180-185 fps with a 10 grain/lbs arrow. The next best performer in my bow collection is my Morrison Dakota with 172 fps (same parameters).You can also tune the grip with the korean design.
By the way, magyars are sold locally in hungary for about $150. In some southern german 3D shoot, there is a horsebow class. Not once did an hungarian bow win this class. It is either a Saluki or a Korean bow. Go figure....

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
Here in Europe we seldom see Salukis or Korean bows. Believe me, I live here! At almost every tournament there is a special class for Horsebows. The Grozer bows mostly win. A friend of mine shoots an Hungarian bow and mostly ends in the tournaments as high as our best longbowers. I am really sorry to read that you find my own experience BS! Why are you so rude? I never saw Horsebowshooters aim long, they just draw the bow and release. I saw tons of Lb/recurveshooters who aim much longer. But ofcourse you can shoot it as fast as an horsebow, but most don't.  The arrows I use are 10 gpp and my Grozer exceeds easily the 180 fps. Thats faster then most longbows. Except for my Peregrine that is.
I agree that the Grozer Bio-composites are better. The extra III composite bows even shoot better.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
By the way, if you want a bio composite, you can order it directly on the Grozer site! Just like I do.
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
Believe me, I was born and lived there 34 years.
The Wing Fighter sells like "fresh" bread in a hunger zone. That Grozer bows win, may be true for the Netherlands, but is not the case in Southern Germany. I shoot traditional for 20 years and know what I do and what I can recommend. Do you know, why Blacky never got a bow from Grozer for testing? If they were this good, he would have sent some long ago. I also e-mailed him directly to discuss performance of his creations, compared to other composite bow designs. I never even got an answer, besides that he said: The values can not be reached with his designs.
This is the same useless discussion as on FC and FA, the german forums. If you get 180 fps with 28" draw, then this is below average, when I get that with a 25.5 draw.
If you shoot as good as a longbow depends on the shoot and the obstacles you're facing. In tight situations the Hwarang will outperfom the longbows, because they can be held correctly in nearly all situations. In open shot situations, longer distances, the longbow has accuracy advantages due to the lower string angle.
If you read statements about fast horsebows, the arrow weight is usually a joke, or the draw length is far beyond 28". In all "horsebow" test in the TB, not once there was a scientific performance test of the featured horsebows.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
I own and test horsebows myself with a good buddy which shoots mainly horsebows and is into traditonal archery for over 50 years now. He owns owns apr. 25 of them so I think he knows what he is talking about. I assume you don't own horsebows therefore I think this discussion has no use. I think there are a lot of brands Blacky didn't get.
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Mechslasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
I own three horse bows, one true magyar composite horn bow.  None have any hand shock at all.  They are all I hunt with simply because I like short bows.  James Parker makes all my bows.  In fact, I have three more on order.  If the horse bow is made correctly, the physics in the construction make hand shock impossible.  Shoot me a pm if you need more info.
"There is beauty and magic in a drawn bow."

Cade (SC)

Offline Capt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
I own several "horsebows" and a true Magyar Composite by Grozer.  The bows with the longer siyahs LOVE a heavy hunting arrow.  In fact they were designed to throw a heavy war arrow.  The true "Magyar" or Steppe bow had long siyahs, long handle and a short working limb these provides speed, no hand shock and a silent bow.

Also bowyers like Grozer and Kassai have come light years ahead from their all resin bows of 10 years ago.  I would put my Kassai Laminate bow up against any "Western" longbow or recurve. James Parker also makes unbelievable bows at a great price.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©