3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TS1+ and heavy poundage bows.  (Read 391 times)

Offline NativeArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
TS1+ and heavy poundage bows.
« on: July 03, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »
just a string question for the "Gang", recently picked up some TS1+ and have made a few strings, mostly for average poundage bows,(45-55). I have made a few for one buddy of mine who shoots a 72# Martin Bushmaster longbow, he has been having problems with stretch / creep, not sure of the term. he sets up the bow shoots a few days then brace will drop about 1/2 inch. he will reset. be good for a while then drop again. just a note after I make a string I stretch them on a jig like the one from Chad's video. with a scale in place and put over 200lbs on them, but he is still having issues with dropping brace. just wondering if any one has encounters any problems with the TS1 material. thanks in advance... matty
"how many bows do you need".my wife
Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you , as I gave the green plant. Genesis 9:3

Offline Voodoofire1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TS1+ and heavy poundage bows.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »
Yep, I'm shooting 76#'s,14 strand, and having the same problem, works great on lighter bows figure I'll just order a 8125 string or two from Chad.
True happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 07:22:00 AM »
I haven't tried TS-1 (I only use BCY materials), but I have heard quite a bit about that problem.

For future referance, stretch is elasticity--like a rubber band--remove tension (unstring the bow) and it recovers.  Creep is permenant.

Chad

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 08:15:00 AM »
I have the same problem with my bow, 72# @28 longbow

Offline NativeArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
thanks all and thanks for clearing up the definitions LBR ... matty
"how many bows do you need".my wife
Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you , as I gave the green plant. Genesis 9:3

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 10:17:00 AM »
In my experience you will have problem with most string materials at this poundage. My 75# longbow stretches all of them, 8125 seems to stretch least amount. Best bet is to unstring heavy bows after each use.
hunt it

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 11:52:00 PM »
When I used to shoot heavy bows,72-80#, I used 450+ on all of them. Put a new string on, let it sit on the bow sturng for a day,retwisting to brace everyonce in a while. After that no more creep or streach. I unstrung after every shooting session. I shoot 60-64# now and still streach in a new string the same way and never have a prob after the streach in period, even with B50.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 10:54:00 AM »
I have had the same problem with every string material I've used and bows over the 60#@27" mark. I leave my glass bows strung almost all the time (I try to shoot them each a few times a week) and usually adjust my brace before each shooting session.

TS1 might creep a bit more than 8125, the two materials I have the most experience with. But not enough to keep me from using TS1 as my primary string material. My bows under 60@27 don't seem to creep half as much, if at all with TS1 or the other materials. Your mileage may vary...
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 11:01:00 AM »
That's one of the drawbacks to lower strand count strings (any material)--leave your bow strung, they tend to stretch/creep more, especially as the weight goes up.

I use 14 strands of Dynaflight '97 on my bow ([email protected], 60@28) and seldom unstring it.  It will creep some, especially this time of year when the temps are high and I'm outside with it, but very little.

Matty, back to your original post, I don't think it's anything you are doing--it's just the nature of the material.

Chad

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
Hmnnn....glad you posted this. My 55lb kadiak has ts1 and it stretches almost like dacron.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
I have used the TS-1 on a few different bows.I like how it shoots and how the bow behaves with it and it seems quieter than other high performance materials.It does stretch for awhile on the bows and you need to monitor that and keep twisting the string up till it breaks in so to speak and also keep the bow strung during this process.
   One thing I think i would have done different in knowing about the elasticity of this string is order the string about a half inch or maybe an inch shorter so you dont end up putting a bunch of twist in it which can cause some creep.
   I have been using a 16 strand,4 bundle which might mitigate this issue to a degree over a low strand count but still get quite a bit of stretch initially nonetheless.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©