3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Only Magazine...  (Read 441 times)

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
The Only Magazine...
« on: August 23, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »
I got my latest issue of Trad bowhunter magazine in the mail yesterday. Obviously I had to look at it right away, but I noticed something a bit different. When I get other magazines, the first thing I do is look at the stories to see what if there is anything good to read. However, when I get my TBM, I look at all of the ads throughout the entire magazine before I even glance at the stories. Something about seeing the new bows, seeing new pictures of old bows, arrows, gear, etc. However, I can't stand ads in the other magazines. TBM is the only one...

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Only Magazine...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 07:40:00 AM »
Quite interesting, in the way mags are read. I do a glance thru for the adds then read the articles from the back to the front go figure....  :saywhat:
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
That's odd. I'm the same way about TB. On the other hand I HATE all the ads in the other sporting mags.

I'm sure it is the recurve bows that draw my attention.  

I don't subscribe to TB and I don't buy every issue I see. If the articles aren't my cup of tea I leave it for the next browser.

I like traditional hunting stories. I like features about recurve bow builders. I don't care for articles about archery crafting. My favorite hunting subjects are sheep, moose, & goats .... stuff I can barely imagine hunting.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
Been a subscriber for a long time, 12-13 years now.  It's one of the only magazines I read the entire thing, cover to cover, the others are Bugle and Dirt Rag (a mtn. biking mag.).  I don't particularly like mainstream periodicals, too much fluff.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
TBM and PBS are about the only mags I read these days.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
What months is this issue? What is on cover? I cannot remember what months my last one was and am desperate for a new one.

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
Hope it is time for a new one. I am more than ready.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
I agree. I love TBM
James Kerr

Offline donnyjack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
I'm with you Indiana Bowman TBM and PBS.  I've let the rest of them go !!

DJ
Love Life, Bowhunt, Flyfish, and Play a Martin Guitar                        :thumbsup:

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
Glance through on receipt at the adds. Then read the articles in no particular order. If it strikes me right away I read it.

Joe

Offline hammer08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
That's funny, I do the exact same thing! It's the only magazine that I will read cover to cover as well.

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
I do that with Trad Archer's World.....with TBM, I look at the index of articles first.

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »

I used to be in the outdoor press, and I never forget that I'm paying for the information I'm reading. There's a lot of copy in TBM that I just don't think is very valuable. On the other hand, I really like the letter from the editor, the interviews (s/b more), the bow reviews GFA's column, basically all the standing columns, but the features can be a little fluffy. There should be some geek feed on carbon arrow consistency standards, string material tests, etc. etc. The kind of stuff that is difficult to pull off. Me & Joe stories can be very good but there just aren't that many Robert Ruarks out there any more. I'm just saying that there is a difference between what I like to read and what I think is valuable enough copy to pay for.

For example, last issue had a coverline feature about budget 3D targets, basically quaker oats boxes and liquid laundry detergent containers filled with Great Stuff foam and set up on little legs. I'm not criticizing the piece; I'm just saying that it's not up to the level of information that you pay for. My first reaction when I saw the photo spread was, "I'm paying for THAT? Are you kidding me?"

I'm mean look around this site or any of the other trad forums. It's free and as far as I'm concerned it is way more valuable than anything I pay for on paper. That's why I became a contributor here: the information is relevant, actionable and valuable because it benefits me directly and right now. Just Rob's arrow video alone is worth the $20 contributor price, not to mention Terry's shot clock. Then there is the shooting video feedback... on and on. I just can't help comparing information I'm paying for against information I'm not paying for.

I do like the ads. Advertising is better on paper than on-line, but websites are better than paper ads. I've bookmarked just about every sponsor on TG and there aren't that many in TBM that aren't also on here.

If I have to pay for information, I want the kind of information I can't get for free. I used to run an outdoor publication that sold for $49 a year, so I know what kind of information that is. And so do you.

And that is information that is specific that directly deals with WHERE I'm going to be hunting and what I'm going to be hunting. I know that is a touchy subject, but all I'm saying is that is the kind of information that is worth money. That's not the only kind of information that's worth paying for, but it's the most obvious.

The vertical magazines (in any genre) tend to take their paying audiences for granted -- my opinion -- and TBM is no different.

I read it, too, every issue, but I wish they were a little more diligent in getting out of the way of the Internet freight train that is clobbering the horizontal magazines (and their writers.) I want TBM to survive and thrive. I do strongly support them and have read it long before I switched over to trad.

So there.

Sorry if that was too "inside baseball"
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
I think all of the archery addvertisers should change the photos every month and also some of the discriptions of there product! I now skip them because I have looked at them for so many months. Ken
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
PaddyMac, it is funny you mention the letters to the editor as I always complain that it takes up valuable article space. If I want that kind of stuff I just head to the internet  :D . Different strokes for different folks. Love TBM though!    :thumbsup:

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
TBM is definetly my favorite magazine but the first thing I look at is the readers pics. I always look to see if any tradgangers have made it in.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 05:40:00 PM »
I go back to front too,thought I was the only weird one but guess not huh Mike?
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
Holy inside baseball Paddy!  I concur and bacame a contributor to this site for the exact same reason.    :thumbsup:  

Spot on,

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
Ive been with TBM since the Premier issue, only magazine I get.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by LV2HUNT:
What months is this issue? What is on cover? I cannot remember what months my last one was and am desperate for a new one.
I got it on Monday. It has a picture of Ishi shooting a bow on the front of it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©