3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your Favorite Bowhunt?  (Read 307 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Your Favorite Bowhunt?
« on: August 24, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
Figured I would start this and see whats here when I get back from what could be "my favorite Bowhunt" I'm leaving for CO in less than 6 hours for a first ever elk hunt.

I'll get this started:

The one that sticks out in my mind:

I was 16 and my buddy and I skipped out of school early to get a jump on a 4 day weekend during a late Oct. weekend and Rut.

we went to his camp wed night, humped corn through the swamp to his feeders and went back to the cabin for a night of Cigars and Cribbage.

The first day we went back near a swamp and I was able to watch my buddy mess up on a pair of bucks by dropping his release.

The next day brought an all day sit, I saw five bucks. 3 in range in the middle of the day and missed a 3 point over his back and learned an important lesson about bending at the waist.

Later, I looked both ways before I climbed down to take a leak only to look up mid way down the ladder to see a six point staring me down at approximately 15 yards down a shooting lane.  

20 minutes later my buddies little brother came to visit. he was sitting at the base of my tree and a nice fork came walking in only to have me accidentally knock my glove off the seat and spook it off. learned a lesson about leaving things laying around.

Just before dark I saw a large buck sneaking cross an opening 50 yards out.

Don't know why but I look back at this hunt and cherish the camaraderie and lessons learned through great experiences. Also the fact that us "kids" were out there hunting and having a good time.

Many other hunts stick out but this is one of my fav's.

What was your favorite bow hunt?     :dunno:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your Favorite Bowhunt?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
All the ones I see something moving,Really gets the heart a pumping.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
Bear hunt 1994. Shot a bear at 12 yards and she died within 9 yards of stand. Roaring and tearing down saplings for a few seconds then, plop, fell over dead. Windstorm flatbow, cedar arrows, Magnus broadhead. What a rush.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
New Mexico Elk and I muffed the shot...  but the best hunt I was ever on. I don't think my heart ever pumped that hard before.
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline MOstate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
My favorite bowhunt was the first hunt with my recurve. I had just given my compound to my brother for a early graduation gift.

New Year's Eve
My brother Eric, my dad, and I went to the property we have permission to hunt early that morning and set up. I saw a gobbler in the morning, got down and scouted a bit and found a really promising spot in a near a cedar tree. I set up that afternoon and the wind is blowing from behind to in front of me. I radio my dad to ask him where I should go instead when a doe, 4pt, and 8pt trot out in front of me at 20-25yrds. I was too astonished to do anything but radio my dad and tell him i was staying put. and hour later, i had a small yearling come through and was close, i put my book down, tilt my bow up, and start to put tension on the string. My mind was racing thinking, "My first hunt and I'm about to get a shot off!"...till the wind switched and she took off. 5 min before dark, my brother radios me and tells me, "DEER DOWN!" I go over to where he was, only 100yrds away, i asked him why he was so close and re responds, "cause you were seein deer...oh, i put all three pins on him and they all lined up on a kill shot...so i shot".."how close?"..."bout me to you (3yrds)" we get up to his deer and he goes, "ive always wanted to do this, 'HES BIGGER THAN I THOUGHT!'" hahaha his spike turned out to be a forkhorn

Because of this memory, which we both highly cherish, we've grown closer. It really is true when people say hunting is not about the kill, but rather the memories around it.
Fred Bear Grizzly #55
"so, have you gotten anything with your bow without sights?" - Grandma

Offline SwampWarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 12:38:00 AM »
I was sitting roughly 80 yards behind my buddies grandmothers place one late October evening. It was about an hour and half from dusk when I started using the "can" call. The first few sets of bleats fell on deaf ears. The last set I did found its mark but I didn't bother grabbing my compound off of the hanger since nothing had come in from the previous attempts.
 I heard a grunt from between the house and my location 14' up in a ladder stand. I started to grab my bow when a huge buck stepped out at 10-15 yards eye level with me on the ridge. He caught my movement and we stared at eachother for what seemed like a Minnesota winter when he did a perfect 180* in place and trotted off in a big 40 yard circle of me and I never saw him again. that is a memory that will never leave me.
(there is a story of a wolf that trotted by at 20 yards that is a close second but not nearly as cool having a staring contest with a 160" buck)
60" Moab 55@28"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 03:05:00 AM »
My first bowhunt in Wyoming, 1981 near Lost Cabin.

Accompnying me were two of my younger brothers.

It was exciting to hunt dramatically different country. I brought a Baker climbing tree stand not realizing trees were far more rare than mule deer in this region. Learned to make ground blinds.

I have video of 276 mule deer in one alfalfa field we hunted around -- about 25% were antlered. It was hard to believe country that didn't look like it could hide a deer hid hundreds!

We camped and hunted 18 days. I killed a 145 Mulie on the 3rd day with a Bear Razorhead. He went 60 yards and gave it up.

I learned to take a bath in 5 gallons of trout stream water (COLD). I learned my brothers can stand going without but I can't.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
14 miles in by horse in the Eagle Cap Wilderness here in Oregon. Met a man who I hunted with that became a great friend. Infact we are heading to Utah to tag team some bull elk in 3 days!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
Hopefully the Bear hunt I will leaving for in two and a half weeks at Eldon's.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
My third hunt on Ossabow Island. I killed a pig the first morning, a pig the last morning and two bucks three minutes apart on the last evening.This was a three day hunt.
  We were dropped off on the Island on wed and hunted Thursday -Sat and they picked us up again on Sunday morning.
  I think there were two of us there with stickbows the rest with compounds. They were snickering on the boat ride over but at the skinning shed Saturday night they were wanting to know about our bows. My Buddy Mudfeather killed two pigs as well.RC

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
Great topic!  I was about 14, had been hunting on the family farm and was walking home at dusk.  I wore home-made camo (old cloths spot-sprayed with leaves and branches as stencils) and was equipped with my Bear Cub and Bear arrows/broadheads.  Walked (stumbled) right up on what was the largest 8-pointer I'd seen to that point in life.  Got off a shot - and missed completely, over his back.  I was able to knock another arrow, but I was shaking too much to draw the bow by then.  The buck walked away while I composed myself and found my first arrow.  It was pivotal, despite the result, because I started to learn the difference between bowhunting and wandering around with a bow.  I managed to put myself in position to see the same deer - w/o being busted - several nights later, though too far away to shoot.  It was a lot like my first kiss - not a textbook experience, but plenty good enough to make me want to try again.
Jim

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
7:30 dusk, grass prairie 0-4" of cold water.....

was slipping down a super highway of pig trails with nothing to show for it... saw a guy in a pine tree slowly going down- I smirked to myself (he is leaving too early) put my head back down and begin to stealth along. my calf high moccasins were soaked and held the cold water in the soles but made zero noise.  quickly getting darker now I picked up the pace slightly as I needed to cover 250 yards more. 20, 35, 50, 75, 100, 105 ...... I hear a soft grunt and watch a patch of grass 4 feet high move. a black shadow walks out in front of me. Slowly I sink to my knees, I can not see the animal now but I can hear her and see the grass twitching as she moves ahead of me. I crawl on my hands and knees with my kodiak hunter in my left hand string side down and the POC grizzly tipped arrow in my right.  slowly, slowly down the trail I go. 1 yard...... 4 yards.... 7 yards.... till I was 30 yards down the trail with 4 foot grass covering my back. I pause and listen...... over there.... no wait... over here..... wait...... straight ahead....... slowly I pick my head up I am looking at the tops of the grass clumps, it is ALL moving!  How many pigs are there? No Idea....... Just a little closer... 30* right hand bend.... a black shadow walks out @ 8 yards and stares at me..... I keep my head down and freeze.   She puts her head down and continues feeding and rooting around.  :: how do you know when your "close enough"?   when you feel you would be better served by having a handgun or a machete, or an axe, or anything but this silly stick and a string!::  slowly I raise on my knees and rotate 30* nock the arrow and begin to lift up-   the 100 pound sow looks at me and dashes into the grass-  DANGIT!  I freeze and wait.... there are still pigs here just too far out.   it is getting really dark now its got to be now or never... then as fast as she bolted out of my sight she trotted back in stopped broad side and looked at me. My bow was up the draw was smooth, the release good, bow was quiet, and the shot was 2" to high!   But I scared the you know what out of that hog!    :thumbsup:
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
I'll have to give that some thought.......but one thing's for sure.....I wish you a grand adventure out in CO chasing those elk!

I think you will come back with a smile on your face and we'll be reading about your favorite bowhunt...for this year anyhow!

Good luck my friend.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
Kodiak Sitka blacktail deer hunts. Wild and spectacular country and generally lots of deer. Good eating too

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
Bear in Maine 1999,he climbed up the ladder and sniffed my boot sole then shot him at 8 yards when he went back down.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »
Well Charlie... I've had alot of them!!!!! So many in fact, That I can't actualy pick a "favorite".....

I will say this, ALL of my best hunts have been with GOOD FRIENDS!!!!!   :bigsmyl:  

I'm sure your trip with Ron will be a lifetime "favorite"!!!    :archer:      :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
other than my first kill, i would have to say  when i shot my 3rd deer, a doe, at 14 yds pass thru double lung and she ran off 15 yds crashing into trees  and fell and started coughing and weezing for about 10 seconds until the woods got quiet. i know it sounds a   little grruesome but i've shot compound all my life and i could hardly believe i got a pass thru with a sticknstring.thats when i realized that these are leeeeethal weapons. needless to say i sold my compound when i got home.   :laughing:

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
Wyoming last year for antelope at the Spearhead Ranch. Awesome people, lots of animals and I bagged a buck!!  I have also had the pleasure of going on a couple of Piggigs with Gene and Barry and also had an outstanding time.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
:campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
Mine would probably be a frog hunting afternoon with two of my best friends.  I don't think it is possible to have a better time with a bow in hand.  We had lots of shooting, lots.  It was one of those hunts when you stop for a second and soak it all in. Looking around I saw my friends shooting, stalking and laughing all afternoon. ITs funny, but that one always come to mind when I see these threads.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©