3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SBD "Skinny String" Question  (Read 891 times)

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
SBD "Skinny String" Question
« on: August 25, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
Hello all,

I am currently shooting the R/D bow in my signature.

The string I am currently using is made by Tradman's Custom bowstrings. When I first acquired the bow, it came with 2 of these strings. One was already on the bow, and then the second was in the package.

Anyhow, it is marked Fast Flight, and is 16 strand.

After reading about the SBD strings, I want to give them a try.

My question is, how many strands should I go with 6 or 8, padding, actual string length, etc.

My bow is AMO 58", draws 56# @ 28", and i shoot 3 under with a double nock. Further, I shoot GT 5575's.

Any advice on appropriate specs would be appreciated.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SBD "Skinny String" Question
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
I shoot the SBD on all my bows. Anything under #50 gets the 6 strand, anything over gets the 8.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 12:40:00 AM »
I second Zmonster. I think you can go 6 strand to about 52 max, but that is getting iffy in my opinion.

I had a Leon Stewart 68 inch longbow (one of his early models not the slammer).  I put a 6 strand 8125 on it.  The string blew up at release one day ... that got my attention.  I did not get hurt.  The bow survived, the arrow was a mess.  The bow was 47 @ 28 so at my draw it was 53 at 30.  I do not wish that on anyone.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 12:41:00 AM »
I also shoot SBD strings on all my bows. 50#+ gets the 8 strand. Loops are padded to 16 strand.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 12:45:00 AM »
To measure 'actual string length'. Does that mean the length of the string at my brace height? I would think that if I gave him the length and specs of the bow, that he would know how long the string should be made.. who is to say that my current string is the correct 'actual length'..???
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 12:56:00 AM »
I don't shoot skinny strings but if you go from a 16 strand down to an 8 strand I'm pretty sure there will be some arrow re-tuning in your near future.

Bisch

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 01:15:00 AM »
Sam,

the length of string is simply that, the unbraced length of the string from loop to loop.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 03:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by USN_Sam1385:
To measure 'actual string length'. Does that mean the length of the string at my brace height? I would think that if I gave him the length and specs of the bow, that he would know how long the string should be made.. who is to say that my current string is the correct 'actual length'..???
Yup... you got it right... twist up your string, or untwist it till you get your desired brace height. then take the string off the bow and measure it.... when ordering a new string add a quarter inch or so. Fast flight string doesn't stretch.

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 05:57:00 AM »
E-mail or call Pierre...He'll walk you through it . It is simple and you probably will need a stiffer arrow, and you'll like the bow even more.

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 05:58:00 AM »
E-mail or call Pierre...He'll walk you through it . It is simple and you probably will need a stiffer arrow, and you'll like the bow even more.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 06:29:00 AM »
The recommnedation is 8 strands of SB-10 for your draw wt.

The 'Silent But Deadly' web-site provides some specific guidelines.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 06:52:00 AM »
I bought a "skinny string from Abe Penner in K-zoo last year and put it on my take down Caribow. Really loud. Did not like it and took it off.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by excelpoint:
I also shoot SBD strings on all my bows. 50#+ gets the 8 strand. Loops are padded to 16 strand.
You will be amazed at the performance difference with this setup.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
each bow and archer will have a sweet spot of sorts when it comes to bowstrings.  for me, it's 8 strands of hmpe with padded loops.  it's kinda like the mama bear of bowtring strand counts - 10 is papa too much and 6 is baby too little.  :D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by elk nailer:
... Really loud. Did not like it and took it off.
Not all "skinny" strings are the same. Different materials, different servings etc. when all skinny strings are lumped together into being talked about as the same thing.

They are not.

Try 450+ if your string seemed loud. This is a very "soft" feeling string on release and settles in quickly. It is also a very quiet string if you are open to finding how it likes your bow and maybe a slightly differing Brace Ht.

Like Rob suggests, it may take a little tweeking to find your own special set up. One string may be loud on your bow while another may be a revelation.

Worth it? Absolutely.
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 10:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:

I don't shoot skinny strings but if you go from a 16 strand down to an 8 strand I'm pretty sure there will be some arrow re-tuning in your near future.

Bisch
I'll second that. Re-tuning is going to be necessary.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
I definitely second 8.  Get yarn silencers on it and it will be a great, quiet string.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by Night Wing:

Originally posted by Bisch:

Bisch
I'll second that. Re-tuning is going to be necessary. [/b]
yep.  and all for the better, too.   ;)

fwiw, if hmpe was used, there is totally no need for 16 strands, that's mega overkill.  polyethylene is also more durable than polyester, so going to a much lower strand count hmpe bowstring than a high count dacron string will still offer really good abrasion durability.  can't think of a need to go lower than 12 strands of hmpe for most any holding weight stick bow.

i did the testing for myself, and found a clear advantage to 8 hpme strands - for me.  it's all subjective stuff, but your end results should be quite objective.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
Depends on the string maker.  If you go by AMO specs, the string should be measured under 100# of tension (except for dacron strings made from 10 strands or less--they get measured under 50# tension).

Making a string by bow length only is a shot in the dark.  Not all bows go by AMO specs (which state the string should be 3" shorter than the AMO bow length).  I've seen longbows get strings from 1.5" to 4" shorter than the marked length, recurves from 2.5" to 6" shorter, along with shooter preferance.  The previous owner may have liked it braced at 6", you might like it better at 7"--that's going to be near an inch difference in string length.  You don't want to twist up or let out an inch.

All string materials and both types of string (endless and flemish) will have some degree of stretch.  How much depends on the type string material, how many strands, and how much tension it's under.

Chad

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
Ok... skinny string aficionados I got a question for you....

I have a longbow which shoots a 658 grain arrow at 150fps; this bow is quiet, shock free and fun to shoot, the bow is equipped with a 16 strand Flemish string made of BCY D-10 material...  What is the practical gain in FPS I can expect with an 8 strand string of the same material...
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©