3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Shenanigans  (Read 286 times)

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Shenanigans
« on: August 25, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
What are some funny stories you had while hunting?

Mine was my first year bowhunting. The little 5 pt comes walking out late evening and I draw he comes to 15 yds and I release and..CRACK!! He runs about 40 yds stops and turns around. I turned to my dad and asked "Did I get him?" He looks for a second, laughs and says no look up. I ended up really pulling the string when I released and shot a branch of the tree we were in. But, I did end up getting that buck about 1 month later.  :)
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Shenanigans
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
Kinda funny now but sure wasn't at the time. A few years ago I was settling in my stand and just put my bow in the bow holder that clamps onto the stand. Well it was pretty windy and when I turned around from fooling with something I see my bow tumbling to the ground. It hit on the tip of the top limb at about a 45 degree angle and the string went backwards unstringing the top limb. It bounced up in the air like a kid on a trampoline. I got down string it back up and climbed back aboard. Shot a practice shot into the ground and proceeded with my hunt.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
i did something similar k.m. last oct. i was in a tree stand, about 5p.m. 3 does stepped out to my left. feeding on acorns ,obscured from veiw by a tree branch a little lower than my stand. i leaned over to manufacture a shot with the bow canted, came to full draw, and released. when i did the bottom limb hit me right behind my left knee. the arrow went wide by 5 yrds and short by 5 yrds. i had to laugh. what an amateur mistake. i still laugh aboutit. about 3 weeks later i did shoot that doe from the same stand. rv
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
Last year, got in the stand around 4:00pm and promptly dropped my arrow to the ground. Looked at it and the other 3 in my quiver. Who needs 4 arrows I thought?

2 hours and three shots later I would have given anything for that arrow. I missed the same 6 pt three times.

My buddy pulls up in his truck, sees my arrows and says " see lots of arrows but no blood" as we where leaving that same deer is standing there at the edge of the field looking at us 10 yds away.

Offline TRT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
OBXarcher, your story reminds me of a similar situation of needing one more broadhead arrow.  I decided to take 3 broadhead arrows to the stand one evening and one judo point arrow.  I missed a doe three times.  It was the day I learned to pick a LOW spot when sitting in a treestand.  I had to fight the urge to shoot the deer in the ham with the judo point to prove to myself that I had figured out the problem.  My father-in-law still gigs me about needing a bow quiver and a back quiver.  I have considered a cat quiver to go with my bow quiver just to have enough broadhead tipped arrows!!!!
"There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1 (ESV)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
Dear friend of mine and his wife struggled with having children... the last en vitro resulted in triplet boys!

When they got to about 10, he would take one at a time along to sit on the seat of his ladder stand and he'd sit on the platform with the flat top step for his feet. Kids were strapped in.

I loved teasing those 3 boys! I told them if they turned their cap sideways, the deer would think they were looking the other way and try to sneak by.

On one hunt, my bud turns to check on his church-mouse quiet son and he has his hat turned brim to the side...asking "what are you doing?" Yup! The boy repeated what I told him... they're 19 now and we still chuckle over what kids will listen to when you least expect it!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
I was irritated when it happened but...

It was in the mid-70's in Brown County, Indiana.

I took my little brother bowhunting. I was in college he was in HS. He was sitting on a WWII wooden ammo box in his treestand. I was in a tree about 60 yards from him.

About 30 minutes after sun up I heard an alarm clock going off. My brother had put his alarm clock in the ammo box and didn't know it was set.  

When I went to gather him a couple hours later he was standing in his tree stand watering the leaves from 20' up. I know,I know lots of folks are fine with human urine in the deer woods.  In those days most hunters thought such a thing was as taboo as it gets.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
Some years ago when I would still go up into a tree I was hunting with my Jim Johnson "Legend" longbow.

I had been still hunting in my ghuillie suit and came up on my ladder stand and decided to climb up and sit for awhile.

A small basket racked buck came walking down the deer trail and I was ready for him. I told myself to remember to bend at the waist since I was up in the tree.

I did and the second I released my arrow both the deer and I were shocked. My arrow was sticking in the ground right at his left front foot.

It seems I had forgot that the bottom of my ghuillie would follow gravity and swing out when I bent over. Away my lower limb snatched the ghuillie material causing my arrow to go way low.

All I could do was laugh..the young buck sure didn't like that sound..lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
Once sitting around the campfire in deer camp, just after dark, one for the guys gets up and walks off into the brushy darkness, roll of toilet paper in hand.  Nobody really though much of it.  He came back and it wasn't very long we all started to smell what we thought was human solid waste, "number two" that is.  Anyhow  thinks he may have step in it he started looking at things with his flashlight, but no, he didn't step in it.  Then another guy with a flashlight starts laughing and said "I found it, it's in your hood". He had one of them one piece hunting coveralls with the hood, you see, and when he dropped trousers he apparently went in his hood.  One log did anyway.  It was good for a laugh.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Mecredy:
Once sitting around the campfire in deer camp, just after dark, one for the guys gets up and walks off into the brushy darkness, roll of toilet paper in hand.  Nobody really though much of it.  He came back and it wasn't very long we all started to smell what we thought was human solid waste, "number two" that is.  Anyhow  thinks he may have step in it he started looking at things with his flashlight, but no, he didn't step in it.  Then another guy with a flashlight starts laughing and said "I found it, it's in your hood". He had one of them one piece hunting coveralls with the hood, you see, and when he dropped trousers he apparently went in his hood.  One log did anyway.  It was good for a laugh.
Now that's priceless!
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
:laughing:     :laughing:    :laughing:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
While glassing a small field from my stand I caught movement to my left. Moved bino's over to take a look and saw the biggest black panther in the world. After peeing my pants I put the bino's down and figured out it was the neighbors house cat on the ridge behind me.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
Pack it in, pack it out!  That was funny!!!!!

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 12:17:00 AM »
I'm not spooky of the natural world but don't care for horror movies and such. My dad knows this because he is the same. A few years ago he hung a Halloween mask from a bush on the trail to my stand the night before opening morning.  When my flashlight hit it I left one of those logs previously mentioned in my pants. I got him with it the next day.  The best part is I heard him scream like a little girl!
"I'm the proud son of a Vietnam Vet and proud to be Made in America!"

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »
Last year my brother thought it would be hilarious to put on a gorilla suit, and run by my trail camera. Well he arrives at my spot puts on the suit and begins the walk to the stand. Well the neighbor was sitting on his porch and when he saw my brother he ran inside, Dylan thought this was hilarious till he ran back out with a .270!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
I had a bad afternoon once that wasn't funny at the time, but to look back on it I have to laugh now. Got home from work about 4:30, ran in the house put my hunting clothes on, grabbed my bow and tore off up the ridge in front of my house for an evening hunt. Got to my stand, dang, forgot my safety harness. Back down the ridge, back up and leaned my bow up against the tree and it fell over landing on a rock and knocked a small chip out of it right on the side of the shelf. Man, what else can go wrong. I was pi$$ed about the bow. Anyway aint been there 20 minutes and here comes this big bobcat down the ridge right to me. Stops broadside about 15 yards and the arrow sticks in the ground right over his back. He runs about 30 yards and stops looking back, well here he comes again, walks right up to the the arrow in the ground and starts to smell it. I let fly again with the exact same result, over his back. He didn't hang around this time. I couldn't believe it, 2 shots in 15 seconds and both in the same spot. I was pi$$ed again. Sat till dark saw nothing else, got down and went to get my arrows. They were stuck right beside each other under and old bull pine. I bent over pulled them and stood up and turned around and jabbed a stob about the size of my thumb sticking out of the pine right in the side of my face. Dang, I was mad as hell again. Got to the house had blood all down my face and neck and the top of my shirt. I was like man, if I ever forget my safety belt again I'm going home and staying.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by huskyarcher:
 Dylan thought this was hilarious till he ran back out with a .270!
I bet he set some record for a man stripping half nekid in the woods screaming out his name and waving on that one! Must've turned out ok, so now it's pretty funny to read about!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
I woke up from a nap in the hardwoods and found myself surrounded by deer.  They were all still & quite as can be.  It was a Twilight Zone moment.  

I snore loud and it was years later when the first grunt calls were marketed when I made the connection.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 11:34:00 PM »
"A few years ago he hung a Halloween mask from a bush on the trail to my stand the night before opening morning. When my flashlight hit it I left one of those logs previously mentioned in my pants. I got him with it the next day. The best part is I heard him scream like a little girl!"

Uh, you saved and got him with which, the log or the mask? Consider carefully your answer.   :rolleyes:

Killdeer   "[dntthnk]"
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
My ex wife was "caught short" while we were hunting; she was wearing a canvas field coat with a rubberized game pocket on the inside. When she squatted, the game pocket flipped out unnoticed. Her "log" plopped right into it.

She wouldn't let me tell this story while we were married...
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©