3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: B-50 Alternative?  (Read 161 times)

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
B-50 Alternative?
« on: August 25, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
On my non-FF bows I am currently using B-50 Flemish strings from 3Rivers.  I love 3Rivers, and order alot of items from them, but I'm wondering if there is a better alternative for non-FF bows.

I get a little overwhelmed with all the string choices and was wondering if the PowWow Gang could point me in the right direction.  Obviously, I'd like to stick with a TradGang sponsor.

Thanks.
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: B-50 Alternative?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
Dacron. It's B50 but not flemish.
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
Like the Dacron endless loop at 3Rivers?
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
Flemish simply the splice used to mechanically hold the loop together.  So any material can be "flemish",  anyhow I went from B-50 to B-55.  I get it from kustom king archery.  I like it a little better.  I don't need as many strands as B-50, and that saves me a little time.  If you don't know haow to amke you own strings, it's a great skill to learn and will save you a bunch.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »
I recently started using B-55 to make strings simply because I could get it in more colors. Lancaster Archery has 21 colors to choose from. It's cheap like B-50 but stretches less, I think. The material diameter is a little smaller too so you might have to double serve your string to get a tight nock fit. I can make you a string, Andrew, if you want. Just send me a pm.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
B-50 (Brownell), B-500 (BCY), and B-55 (BCY) are all dacron.  B-55 is the latest, and is supposed to be an improvement--a little stronger, a little less stretch/creep.  I can't tell much of a difference, but I've gone to B-55 in place of B-500 for my dacron material, in both endless/continuous loop and flemish strings.

Chad

Offline Jim Dahlberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
So my question would be, can you mix the 3 different types in the same string?  For example, a 15 strand flemish splice with 3 bundles, use 5 strands of each type (B50, B55 and B500)?  Reason for question is to use up one type or the other while switching to just one or have more color selections and use all 3 types.  Or use 2 bundles of 1 type and 1 bundle of a different type?

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
I would NOT mix them.  The reason is they all have a different rate of stretch and creep.  You'll wind up with one bundle toting the majority of the load.

I had a ton of B-500 left over when I decided to switch.  I used mine a few different ways--sold a bunch of it cheap (real cheap) to a Boy Scout leader to use with his kids, gave some to a friend, and used some to pad out loops with.

Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©