3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How old were you when you started with trad gear?  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How old were you when you started with trad gear?
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
I don't know the exact age but it was 2nd or 3rd grade when my family lived on Randolph Street in Richmond, IN. Like a lot of kids I made this first bow and and unfletched arrows. I didn't know crap about bare shaft tuning but the neighborhood Robins knew to keep an eye out when I was on the prowl.

My first real recurve was at 14 years old -- Ben Pearson Cougar. Over the next few years, until 1975 I had Bear Grizzly and a Bear B Mag. Then I switched to the Compound in 1975.

I bought my next "trad" bow, a Fox High Sierra 26 years later, a Fox High Sierra. I hunted that year with it without taking a shot. I should have shot one of the small bucks that frequented my stands but I was still stuck with my compound standards -- big buck or does. I didn't have a shot at a doe that year and passed on the basket racks (how do they know?). Went back to compounds in 2002.

Bought a Widow PSAIII in 2004 but didn't hunt with it. I tried to come back to trad hunting in 2009 but hurt the drawing arm shoulder carrying lumber -- down for 8 months.

I made the permanent switch (God willing) in 2010. Two deer with my "Strickland Stick" recurve last fall. VERY exciting since I hadn't killed with a recurve since 1974.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
I was about 8 or 9. Man had just moved up from atlatls around that time.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
i started nearly 3 years ago with a roberson stykbow  im 23 now wish i started at 16 but hey at least i got there and i love it.   :archer:

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
15.  started shooting bows around age 5 then around 15 my grand pa gave me my first longbow
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Hard Times

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
Started Trad @ 35yrs. old. turn 45 next week

Offline Carbonkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »
started out on a wheel bow at 10 but moved to a recurve at 12. the bow was a pse raven....50#! what a mistake that was. guys at the pro shop said that was the least that i should shoot deer with!

now im 28yrs old and all my bows are 45# :) ...and they do a good job!

Offline hammer08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
I started when I was about 8 I think. I had a 33# ash selfbow made for me by my Dad's bestfriend.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
Made bows and arrows out of shrub shoots and twine when I was about 4-6.  Got my first real bow, a lemonwood longbow that drew about 12# and 3 wood arrows (25c each as I remember, may have been 25 cents for all three), when I was 7.  That was 58 years ago. Been shooting sticks and strings ever since.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
I was 7 or 8 and hunted bunnies and mice, small birds, bees, everything I could shoot. When I was 12 I started shooting a Ben Pearson and hunted my first big game with a that bow. 16 I went to a compound and hunted until I was 32 with one. I went back to a recurve than and killed my first buck that year with a Howatt Hunter. I have hunted with both for the last 15 years and now have killed 33 deer with a Trad bow. Shawn
Shawn

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
Had a fiberglass longbow when I was 10 or 11 that i tied surveyors string to and got some arrors from the local k-mart. Just playn around having fun.  Nobody in my family had a bow at that time.

When i was 16yo i got my 1st wheelie bow just so i could get more hunting time in.  Fell in love w/ archery, and was always intriged by trad.  Wheelie's just go to easy and was looking for more of a chanllenge.  Longbows/ recurves just have a mystic about them that i am drawn to.  I cant explain it.

I was 30 when i got my 1st LB from the TG classified.  The next year gave my wheels to my brother and went full trad.  No looking back now.
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
Since None of my Relatives ever shot a Bow, I was about 5 when I got my First "BigChief" Bow & Arrow Set.  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
I started making my own simple little bows when I was 7 or 8 but nothing serious at all, just to play with.  I started seriously with it when I was 28.  I am 34 now.  For perspective I only had a compound for about 3 years.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
I got my first real bow in 1962,age 12, shot alot of homemade bows before that and did alot of pretend. I believe the bow was from Sears and was a recurve with 3 arrows.

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
1962 when i was 8...just young enough to develope bad habits that took several years to break once i had some guidance...got serious when i was 12...dont remember what the bow was but it was the best thing ive ever recieved as a gift...that little bow was the start of a life long love affair even my wife cant compete with!!!

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
Around 1963/64 with a Pearson Jet, then a Pearson Ol Ben longbow, then a Pearson Cougar. Killed my first deer with that Cougar in 1966 or 67, got lucky, was eyeing a doe in the sage brush and had drawn the bow about 3/4 of the way, my friend Mike Womack wisseled and the buck stood up in front of the doe, came to full draw and released, spined him and down he went. He ducked at the release but did not duck low enough, lol.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
1968....10 years old.  Saved lawn mowing money to buy a fiberglass Shakespeare recurve.  That bow and I shot quite a few needle nose/alligator gar in the bayou's of Houston and was responsible for my first "kill" of a groundhog at 20 paces that same year while visiting relatives in Maryland. I still have that bow today.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »
Started with an old Bear recurve when I was 17...I'm 59 now and still shooting the "stick 'n string'.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
I was 14 years old back in 1964 when I first picked up a fiberglass recurve bow. That was my start.

Two years later in 1966 when I was 16 years old, I took my first deer (doe) with a one piece Bear 60", 40# @ 28" Super Kodiak.

Even way back then; I knew what a low poundage bow, by today's standards, could do with a well placed lethal broadside lung shot.

I'm 61 years old now and still shooting low poundage bows.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
Around 6 or 7 years old. My dad got the while family bows and we would shoot all the time. I am the only one who continued through out my life. He shot occasionally  as I was a young adult but just never had the time. Some of my best memories as a child are from those days shooting with the family and mostly my dad. Thanks dad! I miss you!
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
49 1/2, just last year
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©