3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stu's Calculator Appreciated!  (Read 428 times)

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Stu's Calculator Appreciated!
« on: August 25, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
There's been a lot said about whether to use an arrow calculator or just saw off some of the shaft put a field tip on it and shoot it.
One thing that I feel has been overlooked. I was reminded of this when I was reading a bowhunting magazine and saw a compound shooter calculator...that they were charging for the download!
I so appreciate what effort Stu has made to allow us to have a starting point in making an arrow that flies as good as we can get it by using his calculator for FREE! It was/is a gift to the traditional bowhunting community. I don't know anything about how he made this thing...heck, I can barely copy and paste stuff! haha But I am sure he has put a lot of effort and time into this calculator and it's updates. Just wanted to say how much I appreciate his God-given talent and how willing he has been to share his this talent in this way to help us Tradgangers along on our journey. Thanks Stu!    :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stu's Calculator Appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
Sliced bread definitely takes a back seat when compared to Stu's calculator. It has revoulutionized how I go about setting up arrows for bows.

I still do the required tuning checks and fine tuning but the calculator get's me way beyond just the ball-park....I'm just a few short steps from home plate when I use it.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
Stu's calculator for me has been very accurate with multiple bows and arrows. I am very grateful as well and he has saved me a lot of money in trial and error.

Offline big grey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
So true Snag .When things start to go a little wrong and off track I double check with Stu`s calculator ,man is he ever close when I do my job right.
Great job , Thanks Stu.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
Amen!

Stu's calculator took me from a complete carbon "no-nothing" to shooting darts in no time.

Thanks Stu!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 03:29:00 PM »
Another big "thank you" to Stu Miller here!  :clapper:
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
You are so right Snag! Stu is most of the time deadly accurate when you put all the right figures in. I use his calculator all the time. It also learns you a lot what happens if you change things. i.e. you can see what happens if you put a skinny string on, what happens if you cut your shaft, increase your point-weight and so on. Another big "thank" you from overseas. I would say Stu did a LOT for traditonal archery and I think we can't imagine how much effort and dedication it must have costed him. He did not only make a calculator, he truly made a "MONUMENT!   :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:  Give the man a cigar!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
Give him TWO cigars!!!!

As with anything related to a computer, the adage "Garbage in equals garbage out" applies in spades when using the Calc.  Make sure you know what the bow draw weight is, what your draw length is and how your bow is made (center shot).  When you are accurate here, the Calc will give you something valid to work with.

I learned early on to weigh all my desired components, plug them in and let the Calc tell me how long to cut the arrows. I see folks all the time fighting with it because they have this thing in their head that they MUST have 28", 29", etc. long arrows!  Who cares (as long as they aren't too short) if the Calc says to cut them to 28 7/16"!

I spend a lot of time figuring out the length of shafts for each bow and end up with very specific lengths that tranlate into perfect dynamic spines per the Calc.  And.......the end result proves its accuracy.  Carbons that shoot like darts and are VERY forgiving.  And the best part......since using the Calc for about two years now....I have yet to have to make any adjustments when I put broadheads on those shafts.  It has proved its worth to me many times over.

Pick a point/broadhead weight that you want to use, weigh everything and don't guess at anything.

My best results have been with standard parallel shafts like CE Heritage.  I will admit to having to play with shafts that have built-in EFOC.  You can use the percentages provided in the instructions for shafts like these and they come out very close, but they tend to show a bit stiff for me when I bare shaft. Now I have a problem....you can't add length!  They end up being "re-calculated" for a heavier bow (and cut a bit long to be on the safe side!). Otherwise they end up as tomato stakes!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
You are so right! garbage in is garbage out! But an acurate input gives an accurate arrow. When you end up with a shaft which is a bit to stiff, you can play with box 14 (personal form factor)
I used Stu for Gt traditionals and woodies and he was dead-on. The bareshaft test proves it.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
....and it's FREE! How's that for giving of your talents?!

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
Ask my wife....  :)
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
I am VERY THANKFUL to Stu... The effort and genius that must have gone into his calculator is mind boggling... For those that are having problems with his calc. "garbage in-garbage out" is so true. Must be accurate.. especially the cut to center number. You can't "just guess" at this one.. Also read and study (his directions) on how to enter the insert number. It matters.. I have found it to be very accurate if the proper numbers are inputted.. Can't tell you how much time I've spent playing with all the different combinations there are.. Thanks again Stu..
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with doing it "the way I've always done it"...just saying "thank you" for showing some of us how to do it differently and having fun with it along the way.

Offline Lincoln Ribeiro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
I also would like to thank to Stu for this spine calculator. I live very far away from the archery stores, and shafts use to take more than 30 days to arrive here. Thus buying the wrong shafts is not a option to me. Thanks Stu.
``Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.'' [S. Beckett]

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
Stu's FREE program is a virtual "what if" program where one can see the arrow results without having to buy arrows first.

It's been spot on for me. But, like others have said, all the info inputted into the boxes.....has to be correct for it to give someone a tunable arrow.

I wish I had this calculator when I was starting out in trad 47 years ago.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
I had the privelege of meeting Stu prior to Kzoo last year...

A genuine guy and a great service... I'll say no more...

:thumbsup:

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
Many thanks to Stu Miller! He helped me out and even emailed to make sure everything worked out!
I am shooting great now and his generosity for sharing the calculator is unprecedented! Thanks Stu.

Kenny    :bigsmyl:    :clapper:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
Snag and Night Wing, what type of bow do you plug into Stu's Calc. in place of a Blacktail? I've been using a Brackenbury. Is there a better choice?
Matbe we could get Stu to include Blacktails as a choice.
Scott

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
Stu's calc is no where close for Hi range EFOC and Ultra-EFOC. However using the Dynamic arrow Spine values from the Stu's Calc that have worked in the past have proven quite advantageous. Three consecutive set-ups, with different bows and specs have been successfully set-up this year using Stu's supplied values.
Each time I backed into the targetted recommendations and all three times ended up being spot on.

Note: There is much other valueable data supplied by the calc that I use.

Great tool and thank you Stu.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 12:55:00 AM »
I have to agree with you Snag, Stu's calculator takes a lot of guess work out of it.  It seems to fit me so well that if I have an arrow that I think matches the calculator but doesn't fly very well I usually start checking my measurements on the bow figuring I must have entered something wrong and usually I have.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©