3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hurricanes and bear hunting  (Read 226 times)

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
hurricanes and bear hunting
« on: August 25, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
So as I am preparing to leave Friday after work to go to Maine and hunt bear with Eldon, I can't help but wonder if this hurricane is pretty much gonna mess this hunt up. Any Maine people know how bad Portage get hit with wind and rain when hurricanes come?  Oh and I also was planning on staying in a tent part of the week. Hoping Hoping and Hoping, Prayin and Praying that the hunt will be decent!!    :campfire:
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline arrowwood

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hurricanes and bear hunting
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
That's pretty far inland... so far, the forecast is for "possible" wind and rain on Monday, then nice for a few days. I'd guess you're more likely to have problems traveling there more than once you get there.

I was up there on the coast when Hannah hit... eight inches of rain in one night! The next day was beautiful, though.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »
Not really close to maine but here in eastern nc, the bears are on the move. The past two mornings, Ive seen  4  separate bears feeding in picked corn fields. One of them was the 2nd biggest black bear ive ever seen alive. I'm guessing close to 600 lbs. I first thought one of our angus cows had gotten out. Don't know if the approaching storm has anything to do with it, but I don't usually see the bears out that late in the am. good luck on your hunt. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 07:34:00 AM »
This morning it looked like Irene will cut across the upper, inland corner of Maine but it's hard to tell. If concerned you might call your contact up there.

I'm convinced the critters (especially bears) feel the storms coming and "feed up" before-hand, Don. That sounds like one of those bears that look like a Jeep - LOL
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
I will be heading up there in two weeks, please post how you do on here or a PM...Thanks
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
Brad: The forecast for Monday is lots of rain and high winds. Laura and I were there when Katrina hit and we lost 3 days, although Eldon offered up 3 free days to anyone who did not get a bear. We  have decided to leave on Monday so won't be in town until later Monday afternoon. Tuesday is supposed to be sunny in Portage and the bears should be hitting baits hard after the storm blows thru. We have not been up there yet when the weather didn't cost us a day or two of hunting. Shooting a bear in the rain with a bow is usually not a good idea. So, if we miss Monday, which I assume we will, it would be a common thing. Just the first day excitement gets affected. The rest of the week is supposed to be much better weather conditions. Looking forward to meeting you.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
Yeah Bill. I just checked the weather channel website again. Looks like the first couple days may be rain and wind but later in the week is looking good.  The bears should be moving after being holed up waiting out the storm. I can't wait. It's been awhile since I've gone on a hunting trip.

Offline steve helstowski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
I had a few years at eldons with the rain..its been my experience that windy conditions effect activity more then the rain.hope it all works out.I ll be heading up in the middle of September. Good luck and keep us posted on how you did.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
You are probably right, Steve, but rain and bloodtrails don't make for an ideal situation. A bear can go aways with a mortal hit that doesn't leave much blood or if you only get one lung or liver. A well hit bear rarely goes very far...but those marginal shots keep you up all night.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
Keep us posted, I will be up there second week of September. Can't wait!

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
You're just gonna get wet, can't kill one on the couch.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
I was @ Eldons the 2nd week when Katrina came through we lost a couple of days of hunting but there were stll bears killed that week. You guys should be alright. I'll be up the second week. Just feel blessed to be going at all. Good luck and God Bless.

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
I just wanted to add that The days it was down pouring Eldon advised us against going out but as usual we didn't take his advise and had him take us out no bears were killed or spotted those days

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
I have the rain wear and such. One of my best days hunting was when I hunted in all day downpour in Newfoundland chasing woodland caribou around   :thumbsup:

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
I will be up there in two weeks also, let us  know how your hunt goes. This is my first bear hunt,it cant get here fast enough.
         Good Luck!!!
"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline 2020

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
Thats the problem with paid out of state hunts you have to make your own choices I hunted with Eldon for 5 or 6 years now and have hunted in the rain and killed a bear with my bow we found it the next day 75 yards out,most important is to take best shot possible and after the hit watch and mark the direction bear went,with eyes and a compass,and also listen this will help alot,blood on bears is hard with rain or no rain,bring good gear because I froze when sitting in the rain but warmed up when the bear came in,I agree with Steve wind will kill a hunt before the rain,we also shot bears in 95 degree temps last year when they should have not been moving,you never know thats why its hunting,if not comfortable hunting in the rain go fishing you get wet anyway,but with six days to hunt your time is limited,do what you want its your hunt,good luck shoot well have fun!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©