3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thumbs up to KME  (Read 384 times)

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
Thumbs up to KME
« on: August 26, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
I figured it was time to start doing some work on my broadheads. This is the first time I have used my KME broadhead sharpener, and KME stones. Let me tell you something, this has to be one of the slickest things I have ever used.  :thumbsup:  I was able to get a very well used Magnus Stinger sharp in no time at all. It shaved hair in one quick swipe. Now for the impressive thing. That was only using the coarse stone.  :eek:  I can't imagine how sharp it's going to get when I switch to the medium/fine stone. I had football practice, so that will have to wait until tomorrow.  :notworthy:    :notworthy:  

Bill

Offline Ydanny

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thumbs up to KME
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
I just picked one up this year also.  I am also very impressed with it.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
Just the best!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
i have come to the conclusion i just suck at sharpening.  having a hard time getting my b heads and knives sharp with the kme knife sharpener. i dont blame the kme i just dont think im doing it right or something. got my tusker almost sharp but still not hair shaving sharp. cant figure it out swear im doing everything they are doing in the vids
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 12:25:00 AM »
Sawtooth, give Ron at KME a call.  He has the best customer service of anyone I've ever known and I know that he would want to hear from you.  I'd be willing to bet that he will be able to talk you through it and have you sharpening heads that will make your buddy envious in  no time.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline mathews4ever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 04:12:00 AM »
I hope it works as good as everyone keeps saying. 3 Rivers just shipped mine today.
"when a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is twenty feet closer to god." -Fred Bear-

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 06:22:00 AM »
Call Ron. He'll help.

The KME is a tool and you have to learn to use it like any other tool.  He also knows the peculiarities of the various broadheads.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 06:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by mathews4ever:
I hope it works as good as everyone keeps saying. 3 Rivers just shipped mine today.
I was sharpening challenged as well.  If you take the time to learn how an edge is created (~15 minutes with a cold beer) think about it for an additional 5 minutes (time to finish the beer) and then apply what you just learned you will be successful.  The key to an edge that will hold is creating a burr (rolling the edge over)and then shearing it off.  The key to a razor sharp edge is doing it over and over with a finer stone each time.  To do this you have to maintain a consistant angle and the KME products make that very simple and easy to do.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 07:12:00 AM »
Ron is one of the Greats here at Trad Gang!   :thumbsup:

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 07:40:00 AM »
I just placed my order the other day for the deluxe kit. Can't wait to get ny hands on it.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
Sawtooth.... listen to what Whip had to say. By the time you get off the phone you'll be looking for more stuff to shave.
   :wavey:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
SawT, if your Tusker is older, you'll need to grind a good edge (on a grinder) before sharpening IMO. These are great heads but hard. New ones come sharper. KME will make them shave. Call Ron for help. Hope you catch him on a good day. Kiddin Ron.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
i have talked with him and he has helped. sent me some stuff. thats why  i said i think i just suck at it. ill figure it out. i have one tusker shaving hair off.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
SAWTooth
The key for me was when I actually HEARD Ron's words and applied them-- brought to light by What JWilliams said is the KEY. (or chi)   :)  

You don't quit the coarse stone till it's SHARP!!! It's as sharp as it will get when you quit the course stone...the other stones polish the edge and make it more refined, but not SHARPER...

That was my hardest lesson...lost paitence and wanted to move to next stone...never got sharper... doh!

Roll that burr edge on the coarse, then the other side (if double edged,) THEN...start flipping 20, 10, 5 etc.

Then start all over on the medium stone...all the way thru...and again on the fine.

Kinda tedious, but the results are amazing once I quit taking shortcuts!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
Thanks very much Bill and everyone else too!  :thumbsup:  Getting your blade to shave with the coarsest stone (or file) is the most important and most often missed aspect of sharpening anything!

Sawtooth, PM sent, give me a call.   :thumbsup:

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
Dang Doc,

Ya cut in line right in front of me. Still pretty quick for an old geezer aintja!

Well said BTW  :thumbsup:

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
Ron's service is awesome.  I am sharpening challenged and he walked me through the product step by step after business hours!  Outstanding service.  

From practicing I need to sharpen em up before season Oct 1.  I hope I remember the process and not bother him again.  Should record or write stuff down more as I elevate in age  :eek:
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
yeah awesome
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
Thanks, Ron...after as many times as you had to drag me kickin and screaming thru the process, I'm glad I remembered that key point at least!

I still can mess up the small nuances between sharpenings and have to get a quick clarification email, but yes, Ron is a great "teacher."

Emails are fine, but nothing like him sitting you down on the phone while you have the KME set up with a broad head in it and he talks your right thru the process, mano y mano.

Anything else, yer spittin in the wind!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
I now have 3 Magnus Stingers and a Zephyr Scirroco shaving sharp. Only problem is I'm running out of hair on my hands and arms.  :biglaugh:  

Bill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©