3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many Tradgangers do we have from CA..?  (Read 448 times)

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
How many Tradgangers do we have from CA..?
« on: August 27, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
I just moved back(Escondido)about 3 years ago after 27 years in TX. They didn't have deer zones when I left..man what a mess. I have a good place to hunt Bear and hopefully will be chasing them this Nov. or Dec. I've always enjoyed just trekking around and chasing Jack rabbits also but my brother tells me where we used to do it there aren't many left and hardly worth the trouble.

Looks like hog hunting is not too good either unless you have lots of $$$..going to miss that, I'm thinking it would be cheaper to fly back to TX. to hunt than to hunt them here. I was reading like only 10% of the hogs are taken on public land all the rest come from private land. I was looking at the Tejon ranch..that might be an option. Any tips on where to hunt hogs either free or at a reasonable price?

And what about some clubs or 3D around the San Diego area?

Do any guys get together and hunt or have a get together?

TIA
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many Tradgangers do we have from CA..?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
Tejon is magical.  The most beautiful piece of property on earth and their archery only hog hunts are only $300.  By the time you finds even old hog sign on public land gas will exceed that.

Good luck!
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
By the time you finds even old hog sign on public land gas will exceed that.
:thumbsup:
How many times you been there? Are you a full time member?

Offline Richie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
Mike, This is only my second year hunting trad.Last year I was the only hunter in my group to get a shot (missed). I'm the only trad hunter in the group.
   So far this year Thare seems to be more action , one buddy has already killed a deer and a bear, another guy killed a deer but so far I havent got a shot.I have an archery only tag and an a-31 (which is a late season either sex archery only hunt in the LA area that lasts till the end of the year). For the archery only I like to hunt in the d-9 area.
   Thereseems to be a lot of animals this year so I may have a chance. I just wish my friends shot traditional also.
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
Tejon Ranch is about the best bet for the $ Its 300.00 for a week end and the place is crawling with hogs
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
I am not a member, have a 3 month old daughter but am considering it.

I do at least one hunt there a year.  I swear that getting free reign on that much land for a weekend is worth the price.  Getting to kill a hog is icing.

I truly love that place.  It is my happy place...

I may try and count the pennies for next year as a member but doubt it.  The pig tags for a member are still more than the archery hunt cost, though if you are a member you can hunt 100 days to kill "the one" whereas on the archery hunts you get 2 days.

If I were back in SD I would hunt treestands in A22 up in the Laguna Mt area.  It is bow only.  A fell that took the time to figure out how the deer are responding to the hunters up there can do well.  Plus it is either sex so the opportunity is high.  Good luck.  Let me know if I can point you in the right direction.

Offline CalArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
The Cleveland National Forest has some of the best turkey and hog hunting in the state. San Diego county recently adopted a second turkey season because of the increasing numbers of turkey; just ask anyone in Julian - they consider them pests! The hog population is so out of control, just this summer they hired professional hunters to take out a bunch of hogs from helicopters. The San Diego River Gorge is the best place to start.
Husband, Father, Bowhunter

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »
CalArcher, another forum has had a lot of discussion regarding those CNF hogs. It doesn't sound like many, if any, hunters have found them due to a low population in an extremely difficult to access area. The general consensus is that the state has over reacted rather badly with their plans for professional hunters.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
Surprisingly our government over reacted...

I know a lot of guys in SD that cover miles upon miles in the backcountry there and have not seen a pig.  All of the reports seem to be of old sign.

There are surely guys hammering them on private land, but access in CA is hard to come by when you have money.  A handshake and some chores doesn't seem to get you anywhere...

Balboa archery range by the zoo is a great range.  Check it out!

Good luck.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
Thx for all the tips guys..much appreciated. I'll probably holler at you in a PM.

California by way of Georgia
That's funny

Not too many CA. Tradgangers are there.

Online redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
Mike welcome back to San Diego, not alot going on with hunting lots of private land to deal with,a ton of turkeys around, and there are some good 3-D shoots.  :thumbsup:
Larry

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
ton of turkeys around,
I'd love to hear more about that, I have yet to take a Turkey with a bow. Last time I took 3 arrows with me missed all 3 shots out of a blind. Then the Turkey walked up and about climbed in the thing with me, I swear I could have hit him with my bow.

Offline Shan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
Mike,
I live in Bonsall, just north of Escondido. Escondido has the only archery shop i go to, Willow Creek Archery. They've helped me out with a lot. Last time i was there the owner was telling me about a San Diego sportsman's club that offers good land for hogs, deer, and turkey. I forgot the annual fee but if i remember correctly it was fairly steep but maybe worth your time to check out.

Either way you should drop into Willow Creek and talk to the guy there. Im sure he can point you in the right direction.

Im in maryland right now for college but when im back maybe we can meet up and chase some rabbits.

[email protected]
Semper Fidelis

Offline Shan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
Here's the link to WCA

http://www.willowcreekarchery.com/
Semper Fidelis

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
I know that one of the guys at "the bow n arrow shop" shoots a Stalker recurve by South Cox.  The owner (Bruce) is the best guy I have ever met in an archery shop.  He seriously will meet someone and immediately care about them.  When I lived there and hunted with a wheelie I didn't know his shop existed, and regret it.  (never went to willow creek though, it was the other one).

Case in point tell him Zeke sent ya.  He will remember me and we have only met once (5 or so years ago on a hog hunt at Tejon).   His shop is a wheelie shop but they are great people and will point you in the right direction.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 12:20:00 AM »
I hunted catalina island in the 70's. Got stationed back at Pendleton in the 80's and heard they killed all the goats from helos. The game management takesbsome odd paths there.  I shoot tourneys in central CA and there are a few stikbow shooters io this way. Petaluma is coming in Sept. Go there to make contacts
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Online DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 01:35:00 AM »
I moved from Calif last year. Love Texas.......
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Crotalus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 01:48:00 AM »
Hi Mike,
Jim Conners owns Willow Creek Archery, great guy and great place. Mostly a wheelie shop but Jim used to have a traditional league a few years back and at least speaks the language.

My country club is the lease type deal mentioned above, they have some very nice property Jim is a member and can point you in the right direction. I think Turners outdoorsman will have a hand out for them too.

The A22 San Diego either sex archery only tag is a great deal. It is a split season that starts 9-3 I think. Lots of does around here that need shooting.

Bear State Bowhunters used to have a great range in Escondido but the city decided they could better use the property and kicked us off. The club moved the range up by lake Henshaw but as far as I know they are not taking new members right now. The website is still up though.
 http://www.bearstatearchers.com/

Take care,
Lance

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 01:56:00 AM »
Those guys at The Bow and Arrow shop are number one even though they are a compounders shop. I shot my first trad deer last year on public ground less than 20 miles from my place, and yes alot of the ground that holds hogs is mostly private, the public land tags are slightly reasonable at I believe 19 bucks each with no purchase limit. I live in Ramona and if you are going to give it a try you better buy your tag soon they sold out last year. I will be hunting public ground again and I plan on harvesting again.BTW Laguna mtns are hit very hard by every body and there brother,be patient with the hogs they will never get a handle on the population. The agencies in charge of the handling of the population control have a hard time finding there own ass with both hands.Ohh yeh one more thing you will be dealing with alot of public land gate closures just because they can, it's actually quite ridiculous.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©