3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many Tradgangers do we have from CA..?  (Read 449 times)

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many Tradgangers do we have from CA..?
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 02:06:00 AM »
I don't live there now, but I grew up just outside the west edge of Yosemite.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
I did well at Laguna by patterning the hunters.  Most leave stands at 0930 or so.

Another option out there is the desert.  There are some mammoth bucks in the desert but I have never hunted out there.  

If you are prior or current military Vandenburg is awesome.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
I spent a little time on the edge of the Tejon ranch just a few weeks ago. Do to my truck being slightly angry I had some time to spend glassing the contry side while waiting for a tow truck. I counted 19 hogs on the one Tejon hilside that I could see. Beautiful country. I have been hunting hogs on Vandenberg AFB the last few days. Seems to be a fair number of them. They just live in big holes and thick brush
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
Thx. guys am starting to feel a lot better about moving back here now.

Zbearclaw
Let me know if I can point you in the right direction.
Another option out there is the desert. There are some mammoth bucks in the desert but I have never hunted out there
Thx. I'd like to talk to you on the phone if that's OK? If so I'll PM my #.

Grey Taylor
another forum has had a lot of discussion regarding those CNF hogs.
Got a link? I'd like to read it & search the forums.
Thank you.

CalArcher
The Cleveland National Forest has some of the best turkey and hog hunting in the state.
Could we talk on the phone also?

redant 60/65
Mike welcome back to San Diego, not alot going on with hunting lots of private land to deal with,a ton of turkeys around, and there are some good 3-D shoots
Thank you. I'd like to talk Turkey & 3D with you.

Sequoia
Im in maryland right now for college but when im back maybe we can meet up and chase some rabbits.
Am up for that, give me a shout when you get back home. Thx.

Roadkill
I hunted Catalina island in the 70's. Got stationed back at Pendleton in the 80's and heard they killed all the goats from helos. The game management takes some odd paths there. I shoot tourneys in central CA and there are a few stickbow shooters out this way. Petaluma is coming in Sept.
My bother took some goats out there in the early 80's. I don't understand why they would wipe them out and not capitalize on the money from hunting. Probably has to due with politics and the rich folks that live there. Petaluma is a long haul for me, doubt I could make it...thank you.

DesertDude
I moved from Calif last year. Love Texas.....
Yeah I think we PM'd right when I was getting ready to move here, sorry I missed you. Where in TX. did you move to?

Crotalus
Bear State Bowhunters used to have a great range in Escondido but the city decided they could better use the property and kicked us off. The club moved the range up by lake Henshaw but as far as I know they are not taking new members right now. The website is still up though.
     ]http://www.bearstatearchers.com/
[/url]      
I went there, the website is pretty much broken for me in Firefox..am going to make the Sept. shoot. You still in the area?

motorhead7963
I shot my first trad deer last year on public ground less than 20 miles from my place,:I live in Ramona
I'd like to talk with you also. What you are 20-30 mins. up the road from me?

Mike Mecredy
I don't live there now, but I grew up just outside the west edge of Yosemite.
Hey Mike      :)    
I grew up on the east side(Bridgeport)for two years I was the care taker of a ranch and the property line backed up too Yosemite's back country. Know the area well.  It was little piece of heaven.

FerretWYO
I spent a little time on the edge of the Tejon ranch just a few weeks ago. Do to my truck being slightly angry I had some time to spend glassing the country side while waiting for a tow truck. I counted 19 hogs on the one Tejon hillside that I could see. Beautiful country. I have been hunting hogs on Vandenberg AFB the last few days. Seems to be a fair number of them. They just live in big holes and thick brush
Could we talk also?

Once again thank you guys for taking the time to respond. I have plenty to research just from the posts. What do you guys know about hog hunting around Lake Sonoma?
   Lake Sonma  

Tell ya what after living in TX. for 27 years and my best buddy competing in BBQ cook offs and hanging out with him I learned how to cook a brisket, even though the stores around here look at me with that "doe in the headlights" look when I ask for a brisket. I BBQ at least twice a month if not more. I have a decent sized back yard as far as city living goes and have two 3d targets(hog & Coyote) and a couple bags targets.

If any of you guys want to get together eat some good BBQ and shoot the BS and some bows y'all have an open invite, just give me a shout.
       :campfire:
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
My son and I live south of San Francisco, we hunt out of state more than we do here. We have found great free range hog hunting west of Lake Sonoma; but not on public land.
Stick with it your area has some promise-best of luck.

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
Lake Sonoma is a hike for me and I'm a few hours north of SD.  I would hunt Tejon or wear out boot leather hunting the CNF hogs.

Good luck.  Feel free to pm me.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline Suty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »
I was a Native Californian, but I headed to Tejas as soon as I could  :)  Actually, the Army and the Fire Service landed me in Texas. I come back to Cali to visit Family and to get a In & Out Burger. However, now that In & Out has opened stores here in Dallas, I'm going to miss my Family. I was raised in  Banning, but Dallas has been home since 86. Miss the Mountains.... Tu Compadres, Sutty
Dryad Orion ACS Recurve 53#

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."  Edmund Burke

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
My office is in Escondido across from Willow Creek. Great trad community here, and the best shooters in the state (i.e. Redant). PM me if you want to meet some of the crew.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
Hey,
I live in Cali and am just getting into trad archery and bowhunting. I live in Sonoma county and know some folks with ranches and lots of pigs and turkeys so I will probably be doing my first season of hunting this year on private land going after pigs (and turkey if I am ready for fall season)

I have not been to Lake Sonoma, but heard there are pigs there. Check out this article about a hunter getting attacked by a pig there earlier this month!!

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20110803/ARTICLES/110809839

Too bad it sounds like CA is definitely not the best state for hunting...
I used to live in San Diego,I have definitely heard that the turkey populations are a problem in the Julian area.

good luck

Offline bayhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »
i live in california, there i some beautiful land up here, looking forward to finding out how the hunting myself   :)

Offline Shan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
beachbowhunter:

My office is in Escondido across from Willow Creek. Great trad community here, and the best shooters in the state (i.e. Redant). PM me if you want to meet some of the crew.
Im really glad this thread got started! I thought I was one of the only ones in the North San Diego County area. bbhunter, I dont know if thats an open invitation but i'd love to meet other tradhunters from around here.   Thats crazy that your office is right across from Willow Creek. I've been there so many times. It seems like the only place i spend my money!

Mike, I'll definitely let you know when im back in the area, might not be till Christmas time though. I usually spend my time home shooting at 'big game' like ground squirrels and cottontails. Ive never tried turkey or deer hunting around this area though.

Excited to see this thread continue to develop...
Semper Fidelis

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2011, 11:21:00 PM »
California native...  mostly hunt private property for hogs. Camp Roberts has some hogs, deer but hunting has been suspended for now.

Fort Hunter Liggett in Jolon, CA has hog hunts and they have archery only areas.
   http://www.liggett.army.mil/sites/fishhunt/update.asp  

You’ll have to do some driving to hunt here!!!

Good hunting
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2011, 12:11:00 AM »
I Have lived in CA for about 3 years now.
got arrows?

Offline Crotalus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2011, 01:54:00 AM »
I went there, the website is pretty much broken for me in Firefox..am going to make the Sept. shoot. You still in the area?

Mike I live in Escondido.
Lately I've been hanging out at Willow creek and shooting a bit on Saturday afternoons.
Lance

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2011, 04:56:00 AM »
Im in Modesto dead center of the vally. not much of a dear hunter,too many coyotes to chase. Getting permision to hunt is posible . Lots of leg work and knocking on doors.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Corvus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
Mike check out the DFG website. They have a regional map and list wildlife areas. Infromation about game and hunting methods. The Big Sandy WA seems to be the closest area with pigs. 850 acres, no rifles or pistols. I've never been there, nor heard of anyone going there. Any info CA hunters? Corvus.

www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/index.html

Offline Corvus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
Mike check out the DFG website. They have a regional map and list wildlife areas. Infromation about game and hunting methods. The Big Sandy WA seems to be the closest area with pigs. 850 acres, no rifles or pistols. I've never been there, nor heard of anyone going there. Any info CA hunters? Corvus.

www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/index.html

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©