3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hoyt Buffalo video doesn't work/ Help please  (Read 312 times)

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
Hoyt Buffalo video doesn't work/ Help please
« on: August 27, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
I just bought a new Buffalo. Got it home and put the dvd in ...and it won't work. It won't play in the xbox or computer. Grrr.... Did this happen to anybody else, or am I just lucky? How about a little help with tuning? Both my Dorado and Gamemaster came with a wrench to tighten limb bolts with, this did't, you don't have to tighten the limbs? I got the brace height from the website, but have no other instructions. Aren't there tiller adjustments? Any advise at all would be appreciated....
Bret M. FullER

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hoyt Buffalo video doesn't work/ Help please
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
Did you get a manual with it also? I just went to Hoyt's website and you can d-load a manual but it is last years. Your Buffalo is basically like any ILF bow where you can adjust the limb bolts for different poundage and tiller. You actually have a allen head on the bottom of the limb bolt that locks  it down, its the same size as the allen head on top of the bolt. The manual should show this. I know there is more you wanna know so just shoot me some questions or I can even give you my number to call. I bought my Buffalo used so I didn't get the DVD or I would send it to you. Let me know if I can help anymore bud!   Chris

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
No manual, apparently the dvd is the manual. i see the allen bolt, but didnt tighten any of them. and as far as ILF limb pockets go, I am totally ignorant,never had one.
Bret M. FullER

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »
It's not an ILF limb, but a proprietary limb system, the Hoyt Paralever limbs. First thing I did was put o-rings on the limb bolts for cushioning. Later I switched them to split neoprene washers. I also glued deer skin to the lever portion of the riser to cushion the limb and metal contact point.

Back out your locking nuts on the back of the riser all the way.

Screw your adjustment bolts all the way down.

Insert limbs. String bow. Back off top limb bolt until you get about 1/8" less tiller than the bottom limb measured with a bow square from the limb to the string at the riser where it meets the limb.

Adjust brace height by twisting the string to get about 8 1/4".

Tighten up locking bolts and you are done.  It should shoot well from there but you may have to tinker with it.

The DVD is the manual but I didn't think Fred did a great job in telling you how to set tiller adjustment or quieting the bow down. He does a pretty good job on paper tuning and bare shaft tuning.

Good luck.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline swamprooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
2009-2010 recurve manual is available for download at the hoyt site. I just looked at it and it should give you all the info needed. Chris

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
Thanks for all of your comments folks.
Bret M. FullER

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
Call Hoyt they will send ya a new dvd
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
Yep, I'm not happy with the factory adjustments on my Buffalo and the DVD only talks about 8 1/8" brace height and almost nothing about tiller adjustments.  I don't think you want to go adding grommets and such to the limb bolts as the limbs just snap in anyhow.  Also the limbs come with some very small almost invisible soft rubber pads in the ends of the limbs.   But my bow has almost no tiller adjustment and the locking bolts are some kind of proprietary star drive with a pin in the middle...ideas on where to source that driver bit?

I talked with Hoyt customer service for a long time a few weeks ago and complained a bunch about there being no specs or literature for the bow available anywhere--not even in PDF format and he told me he couldn't even send me a paper manual because they don't have them for the bow....

Bad form on the part of Hoyt.

Offline swamprooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
Any auto parts store will have the security torx driver. Chris

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kentucky Jeff:
 But my bow has almost no tiller adjustment and the locking bolts are some kind of proprietary star drive with a pin in the middle...ideas on where to source that driver bit?

That sounds like a "tamper-proof Torx".  They are not proprietary, any well stocked tool store should have them or be able to get them.  If you know any mechanics the Snap-On, Mac, Matco, etc tool trucks will have them.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
Guys,  I have a Formula FX target bow with the paralever limb system.  I, too thought that there was some wierd torx wrench required for the adjustment but it is an optical illusion.  A regular allen wrench is used to make the set screw turn.  Go to the Hoyt sight and look at the Formula FX bow information -- it may help.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »
The lock screw is a 3/16" allen wrench, same as the limb bolt.

Also adding o-rings or neoprene washers between the bolt and the outside of the limb will add poundage to the limbs as it changes the angle slightly.

Follow my procedure above if you want to tiller and tune your Buffalo. Leave out the o=rings or washers if you like. My friend and I have been tuning and tillering ours for months now following the above method. We don't need no stinkin' manuals.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »
Reddogge knows what he is talking about. His bow is whisper quiet and shoots darts!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 07:38:00 AM »
Reddogge is right it really isn't that hard to adjust. You just have to remember to loosen and re tighten the locking bolts on the belly side of the limb bolts before and after making adjustments. More tiller info can be found on here rather than a manual anyway for its not set in stone where to set it. Follow Reddogge procedure for the initial set up and do a "tiller setting" search on here and you should be good to go.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
When I saw Fred Eichler's prototype at the Muzzy last year we talked a bit about adjustability. The bow was in its final design stage so major changes weren't about to happen. I suspect/hope that down the road Hoyt will start giving its customers what they want. I hate to sound negative but I tried to get a simple grip for my bow from them....they referred me to a dealer....he couldn't get one without getting the whole bow or something like that. Calls to the factory were pretty useless...had to go thru a dealer.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
That is very true Bill. I love my Hoyts and always have but getting something you need quickly is dang near impossible. When you want something small without a big mark up dealers want to wait to add it to another order to make it worth it, so I always had  time issues with getting items. i can't believe they don't have a written manual with the Buffalo's just a DVD, dang technology does it again.

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
I shoot mine  at 8 1/8 brace height gave  about an 1/8 of an inch tiller on the top limb  and that's it no problems very quiet and shoots great

I got the higher grip thru Lancaster they had it in stock
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
I shoot mine  at 8 1/8 brace height gave the peer about an 1/8 of an inch tiller on the top and that's it no problems very quiet and shoots great

I got the higher grip thru Lancaster they had it in stock

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
The high grip really makes the Buffalo a great feeling bow I think. Thats good to know Lancaster has them since its not an option, that I have seen, for the Buff.

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
Took Reddog's tuning advice.  Backed the locking bolts out.  Cranked the limb bolts all the way down.  Strung the bow.  Backed out the top bolt until tiller on the top limb was 1/8" longer than the bottom limb.  Tightened the locking bolts.  Twisted the string until I got 8 1/8" brace.  Took the friggin' bow out and shot it and all the noise was gone.  All the shelf slap was gone.  All the things I hated about the bow disappeared.  And I really really wanted to like it....

The factory settings on this bow were all screwed up.  Both limbs were adjusted way too far out of their pockets and the bottom limb locking bolt wasn't even tightened.  This thing wasn't even close from the factory.  

Tomorrow I'll put it through the paces and see if everything is better but right now its a different bow.

Thanks guys!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©