3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how to ambush a trophy buck?  (Read 261 times)

Offline jim phenes

• Trad Bowhunter
how to ambush a trophy buck?
« on: August 28, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
alot of you tradgangers have alot more experience on ambushing than i do, i have a big buck that i have seen twice last year and once last night the only problem i have is there is a 40 acre field in between him and me he always comes off the neighbors woods and feeds in my fiels but i havent had the chance to get a shot off at him yet he never goes in to my woods at the same spot so what do i do? can i some how dig in some where in the field or just take my chances in a stand on the edge and hope he comes my way?

Offline pauljr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how to ambush a trophy buck?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
Good luck with him, if i could answer that question there would be alot more antlers on my wall lol.
PBS Associate Member

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it" Woodrow F Call

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
Is your season open yet?
Could you move some round bales or machinery there and leave it until the buck becomes accustomed to it?

You could dig a pit blind and stack brush around it. Again, the buck would have to learn to ignore it.

Do you know what he is feeding on in your field? How soon will that food source be gone, and what will he feed on next?

Killdeer~ I love answering questions with questions.    :D
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline eagleone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
x2 on hay bale blind

x2 on if i had the answer there would be more antlers on my wall
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

Offline jim phenes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »
thanks guys and yes i do have some round bails that i could possibly use i never thought of that, i like the idea of the pit also i do have a hedrow that splits th etwo fields i thought about trying to set a natural blind up there as well, last year he stayed tight to that hedrow and he almost gave me  shot in my stand but then he turned and went back across the field, and no my season is not open yet so i have time to fashion something and let him get used to it thanks guys i am mostly a woods hunter never hunted many fields till i bought the farm last year so you have all been a great help hope to have good news to post on oct 15!

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
A month or more before season opens i take an ear of corn and smear it with peanut butter and put it out. When season opens all i have to do it rub a lil peanut butter under my arms and them bucks will come straight to me.LoL

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
Any chance you can funnel him into 1 or two places to enter your woods?

i.e. drag some deadfalls to the woods edge, or drop some trees on the woods edge. Basically leaving only 1 or two entrance / exits points from your woods to the field?

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
You can try a decoy  if you are allowed to put it the field close to your end of the woods.

Does the owner of the woods where the deer comes out hunt or have hunters on that property?  If not then ask that owner if you can hunt that edge of the woods.  Don't no how that is handle in NY but here in Tx you got to pay to lease any hunting rights. Maybe in NY all you need is the landowners permission and a handshake.

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
Deer will take the path of least resistance most times. If the owner of the woods will let you take a lopper and trim out a trail to the edge of the woods the chances are real good the deer will use it unless the woods where you are at are already kind of open.

Offline JLeMieux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
If you can spend a few consecutive days observing the field from a distance do that and then see if he is using one entrance/exit more than the others. I would also move some bales by one of the trails he uses. If he doesn't mind them you know you can use them for blinds. If he avoids them, you can move them to other places you want him to avoid to funnel him to where you want him. If possible give yourself options, don't put all of your eggs in one basket if you can help it. Easier said than done with a mature buck. Sometimes you only get one shot.
Acadian Woods TD Recurve 58 @ 28
Acadian Woods Recurve 55 @ 28
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 60 @ 27
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 47 @ 28
Martin Hunter Recurve 50 @ 28

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
Create a funnel in the fence (low spot) where he can cross and block the others with brush, etc...

Walk the edge in detail there is a secondary trail inside cover that this deer uses and set up smart for him.. Knowing he exists is 90% of this and the rest is just FUN...!
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©