3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: G. Fred Asbell Quiver  (Read 2569 times)

Offline mrfritz

• Trad Bowhunter
G. Fred Asbell Quiver
« on: January 13, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »
Owners of the GFA Quiver, how does the quiver strap to your side?  In the photo on his site, it looks to strap to him much the same way that any CatQuiver would strap under the arm if it were removed from the pack.

Can anyone confirm this, or is there amore robust strap system in place that I can't see in the photo?

Offline Mudfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: G. Fred Asbell Quiver
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 06:48:00 PM »
It simply hangs on your shoulder over your neck....like a you would tote a long rope.

The strap is adjustable. He likes his fairly short where it rides up tight under his arm.

I seem to like mine long and it hangs about my waist.
"Dad, you and me are bow shooting huntin buddies OK?"

My son Kasey- age 5...Jan 8, 2007

Keith Bruner

Offline 6 POINT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »
What Keith said. I really like the quiver for carrying arrows to and from a stand but don't like it for  still hunting as access  to the arrows is very difficult. Maybe its just me but my hip quiver is much faster and more concealed.
Like I said maybe its just me.I sure like everything else Mr. Asbell has said and written and I really enjoyed meeting him in Washington last year.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »
My GFA is the best quiver I've ever owned. I did have to get used to using it correctly. Once I learned how to adjust it "for me" it was perfect.

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »
the design is a good one!!!  You can do this with any bow quiver.  I've done this before this quiver was on the market with a great northern, back in the mid 90's my partner was using an old bear compound quiver to do the same.  

Like was said, the kick is getting it adjust right for you, and your style.  I managed to kill my first caribou at 7 steps with it on using this method.

Offline mrfritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
Sounds good guys and thanks for the responses.  I was looking at the new Catquiver VII with removable quiver and it should give me the soft fleece backpack I was looking for and a GFA type quiver to strap on my shoulder.  

I still hunt and do a good bit of tree stand hunting, so this combo pack should work well.  I just wasn't sure if I was missing something special with teh GFA that the Cat couldn't do.

Thanks,

Fred

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
heck if you like still hunting, with a pack on, you might look at Jack Bowyers Chief!!!  It's the next best thing, not quite as light but I love it!!!  Take it off in the tree, and yes have shoot a deer with it out of a tree.  (kind of a comodity living in Fairbanks Alaska lol

Offline Jeff Hren-Renegade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 11:08:00 PM »
I built one after doing a little hunting with Fred & seeing how he used his.Like was said above once you get it adjusted to you it seems great. I kind of bounce around with quivers. I use G.F.A. Type part of the time. A Cat Quiver most of the time. a hip quiver on occasion. Just depends on what type of hunting I am doing.

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
my brother in law uses one and like it.  Seems very well built to me.  I love me cat III and single Sokum quiver on the bow...works great for still hunting and tree or ground hunting.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »
I made 3 of them out of Delta quivers. And my wife got me a real one from Fred for Christmas. He does a much better job of covering the hood than I have!

Offline Todd Brickel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2023, 11:45:12 PM »
Can you all give me some tips on how to wear theGFA quiver to easily extract arrows?  I understand and can appreciate the various ways to wear the quiver but I’m having trouble extracting arrows with minimal movement that would be required when still hunting or stalking game?

Thanks so much!
Todd

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2023, 07:35:50 AM »
First off I have to say I love the quiver but I make a slight modification to it to help with your question. Besides the strap over my shoulders I use a belt to further secure it along my waist. This helps eliminate this quiver from travelling around you as you move around and helps keep it where I want it in order to withdraw arrows from it. To further secure it I tie it to the belt as well.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2023, 06:54:09 PM »
I made one from a Delta 7 arrow bow quiver.

Remove arrows at the gripper. Two fingers under the shaft, thumb pushes against the gripper. Pops right out.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©