3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TBM Article says it all  (Read 1473 times)

Offline PASQUINELL

• Trad Bowhunter
TBM Article says it all
« on: August 28, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
In my opinion Treed Partridges by Kiby Kohler was an article that says it all. Very well written. Agree or disagree I think most will enjoy!
"I can skin a GRIZZ as fast as you can catch um"...HA! stay right there pilgrim I'll be back!
JOHN 3:16

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: TBM Article says it all
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
Dick Robertson wrote a similar piece several years ago.  Since that time, G. Fred and Don Thomas have also dealt with the topic.  I concur with their perspectives. I don't think many do, though. At the least, these pieces get folks to think about the decisions they make.

Offline PASQUINELL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
You must be correct Orion. I thought for sure there would be more comments either for or against the article.
"I can skin a GRIZZ as fast as you can catch um"...HA! stay right there pilgrim I'll be back!
JOHN 3:16

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
I met a gentleman at a 3D shoot years ago that gave me quite the unsolicited earful about my "shortcut" carbon arrows. He stated to me that he couldn't understand why someone would choose a traditional bow for the added challenge, yet use a "crutch" like carbon arrows. I asked him how he assumed to know why I shoot a recurve, as if his personal motivations were somehow universal. Ironically enough, we ended up discussing our favorite portable treestands, an invention that's arguably the biggest "shortcut" ever made for deer hunters. I guess we all have our "shortcuts" if you drill down deep enough.

Regarding the article in question, I found two points confusing. The first was the author's stance against the use of carbon arrows while rationalizing his own occasional use of them. The second was how using wood arrows put him in the company of Fred Bear, who shot aluminum and fiberglass arrows.

Aside from that, I think it's good to occasionally take stock of our individual hunting equipment and tactics and question our personal motivations for such things. A little introspection is a good thing. But I'd rather spend my time pulling my own dandelions than walking up and down the street criticizing my neighbors' lawns.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
What Jason said   :thumbsup:  .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
Very well said, Jason.
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »
aw come on Jason. . .  much more fun making comments of everybody else's lawn !

We ALL need to start thinking about what we do, and what it means to us.  Not necessarily assigning "evil" and "bad" monikers, but just. .  "Why am I here" kinda thoughts.

We are changing as a society.  Quite rapidly lately.  Part of that change involves technology, for better or for worse.  Some of it we have to accept and use. .  but I for one like to make some parts of my life a bit less stressed.  Some things I can control. .  this is one of them.  Have fun your way.

ChuckC

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 01:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jason R. Wesbrock:
The second was how using wood arrows put him in the company of Fred Bear, who shot aluminum and fiberglass arrows.

Very well said.
 And I firmly believe if Fred was still around...he would be shooting carbon himself!  :archer2:

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 01:35:00 AM »
Jason couldn't agree moore.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 03:24:00 AM »
I get the introspective part of these types of articals, but reject the idea that the steepest path is the only noble or correct way of arriving somewhere.  

My elitism alarm started to blink as I read it.

I love traditional archery when its about having fun with simple archery gear.  When it starts to become about being against something different, the fun starts draining.

Hunt and let hunt.

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 04:39:00 AM »
I must say in advance, i havent read the article as i dont get TBM (sadly, they dont accept paypal from overseas).

But when it comes to elitism and Fred Bear, this quote of Fred came to my mind. He said it to Mike Sarnitz (austria) after taking him on his first Bowhunt:

“When you get back home and you speak about bowhunting, never try to discriminate riflehunters but on the contrary be patient and let them be part of our beautiful  hunting form. Let them hunt with both:bow and rifle”
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 04:51:00 AM »
I wonder how many beautiful old PortOrford cedars have been cut down to make arrows?    Over the past 60 years I wonder how many of those arrows have been lost?  I shoot carbons and like them, I'm a bit of a treehugger though and think that the old cedars shouln't be used to make "disposable" things like arrows.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 05:26:00 AM »

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 05:54:00 AM »
An excellent article on Rose City Archery, in the April/May issue of Primitive Archer Mag states that "no wood is used that has not been dead at least 25 years." A bit of a revelation from one of the premier cedar shaft makers in the world.

Now I know that dead wood is an important part of the ecology of a forest, but it would seem that worrying about live trees being harvested for "only" arrows is not necessary.
 To me your arrow choice is just that - your arrow choice.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 05:56:00 AM »
Once again, I'm with Jason.

I haven't read the article in TBM, as I don't have a subscription to it. But, I usually do buy it when it reaches the newsstand. I like the magazine, but I don't always agree with everything in it.

Like I said, I haven't read the article but it sounds to me like it's just another nit-picky piece that just causes division among our ranks.

Too close to huntin' season for this.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 06:43:00 AM »
Jason - not bad for a Chicago gapshooter!  I couldn't agree more.

I had some of the same feelings yesterday reading the article.  I suppose it is meant to be a bit of a shock deal, or maybe pot stirring.  The thing some of these "philosophers" need to remember is that the more time you spend peeing on fence posts the more likely you'll get your own shoes wet.  The REAL purpose of a philosopher is to get you to think....NOT to get you to think what THEY think.  That's a tough edge to walk sometimes.

R

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »
Jason
Extremely well said!  

As long as it is legal, not interfering with others enjoyment of the sport and it adds to the ranks of hunters if they are happy I am happy!

FWIW to the OP I shoot carbon and have never shot wood so adult wood arrows may be completely different.  I guess I am a lazy shortcutter to the author of the article.  But if adult wood arrows are like my kids wood arrows call me lazy shortcutter, they require a lot of straightening versus shooting and break quite a bit while stumping.  From a economical standpoint I choose carbon.  I'll lose them before they break!  And I never have had to straighten one.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jason R. Wesbrock:
I met a gentleman at a 3D shoot years ago that gave me quite the unsolicited earful about my "shortcut" carbon arrows. He stated to me that he couldn't understand why someone would choose a traditional bow for the added challenge, yet use a "crutch" like carbon arrows. I asked him how he assumed to know why I shoot a recurve, as if his personal motivations were somehow universal. Ironically enough, we ended up discussing our favorite portable treestands, an invention that's arguably the biggest "shortcut" ever made for deer hunters. I guess we all have our "shortcuts" if you drill down deep enough.

Regarding the article in question, I found two points confusing. The first was the author's stance against the use of carbon arrows while rationalizing his own occasional use of them. The second was how using wood arrows put him in the company of Fred Bear, who shot aluminum and fiberglass arrows.

Aside from that, I think it's good to occasionally take stock of our individual hunting equipment and tactics and question our personal motivations for such things. A little introspection is a good thing. But I'd rather spend my time pulling my own dandelions than walking up and down the street criticizing my neighbors' lawns.
Very good post JRW.  In my opinion, the largest threat to bowhunting, both modern and traditional, are attitudes like those of Mr Robertson, Mr. Thomas, and others.  If the editorial content of TBM was more in line with your beliefs, many, including myself, would still be subscribers.

Originally posted by Hopewell Tom:
An excellent article on Rose City Archery, in the April/May issue of Primitive Archer Mag states that "no wood is used that has not been dead at least 25 years."
Same is true for carbon, only it's more like 2.5 billion years.    ;)

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
We all walk our own path, the fact that we enjoy the same life sytle, doesn't mean or require that we wear the same shoes/boots as the other guy.
It is the journey, not the destination.
JRW, well written and I concur.  Thank you.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
I think those guys better learn how to make wood arrows then since my wood arrows shoot as good as my carbon. In fact would they say tapering wood arrows is a crutch too? To me nothing beats a good set of tapered matched cedar shafts. Unfortunately stump shooting with them doesn't work too well since they break so easily. Thats why i switched mostly to carbon, and the fact that it is great to practice before a hunt with a dull broadhead on then easily switch to razor sharp one and be ready to go in 5 seconds.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©