3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Low Carb diet in the Back Country?  (Read 252 times)

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
Low Carb diet in the Back Country?
« on: August 28, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
Headed to CO for a couple weeks in the back country to chase some elk. I've been on a low carb diet trying to shed some pounds in preparation (and just cause I need to). Its working, but wondering how to (or if I should) stick to it in the back country. Any one here have some experience packing low carb foods into the back country? What kind of packaged foods? I see John Scifres packing tuna pouches... good idea. Any others? Planning on a big batch of venison jerky, but that gets old after 10 days.

Offline Jeff Mundy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Low Carb diet in the Back Country?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
You're gonna need those carbs out there in the backcountry. You'll probably shed some pounds on the hunt even if you eat high a carb diet... if you're covering a lot of ground & exerting yourself each day.

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
How much are you going to be walking , when I hunted the high county , I up may intake by 500 cal or more  , I'm around 1800-2000 cal , when hunting I go up to 3000 sometime
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
Venison and beef jerky is great . Protein bars come in all varieties, read the labels. You will need your carbs because you will be burning a lot of calories.Trail mix is real handy. Tuna in bags you don't have to worry about the cans.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jeff Mundy:
You're gonna need those carbs out there in the backcountry. You'll probably shed some pounds on the hunt even if you eat high a carb diet... if you're covering a lot of ground & exerting yourself each day.
Yup, you will need the energy for when the time comes!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
Steve,  Been on low carb diet for three years and DO NOT go back on sugars and carbs for your diet.  You don't need it.  If you have been on the diet for any length of time your body has learned to assimilate the protein into energy without the spikes in insulin that sugars and carbs cause.  Throwing your body a curve ball like that at the same time as you are very active will mess you up and get you feeling crappy very fast.

It will take some planning to get some of the low carb stuff available but you will be glad you did.  Use this hunt as a chance to get rid of a few extra pounds without having to change your eating habits.  It can be done.  100 pounds ago I was wondering the same thing you asked about.  I went back to sugar and carbs and before the hunt was over I felt just like before.....lousy.  People who can assimilate carbs easily don't understand just how sluggish and uckky some of us feel when we go on carbs.  If you have to have something sweet get the Atkins bars, nuts, almonds,and jerky for snacks.  Remember you are there to hunt not to eat.  Stick to it you won't be sorry.

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
Bill. That's my worry. I've been on it a little over a month and feel better not eating carbs than I have in a long time. Worried the hunt could set me back by breaking the routine. Sounds like a bit more planning and I can do it. Since I cut back on the carbs I haven't had indigestion and my energy level is higher. Plus don't get the lethargic slumps in the afternoon. One snickers bar and I'd be right back where I started!

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
Have you had your sugar checked?Thirsty a lot, sweating, getting up a lot at night.Make sure you are ok there.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline CalArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »
Steve, Carbs translate to sugar, which spikes blood sugar and requires insulin. The insulin will then store and protect your fat storage and prevent the fat from being used as energy. Fat is the supreme source of energy; several organs are dependent on fat to function properly.

Several clinical studies have been done using groups of outdoorsmen trekking through the wilds of Alaska. Some consumed hi-carb, moderate protein, lo-fat diets; others stuck to a hi-fat, hi-protein, zero carb diet. The results: the hi-carb group failed miserably and experienced periods of lo-mental capacity and severe atrophy (muscle loss). The hi-fat group experienced no atrophy and still had their wits about themselves. Remember, the human body is "stone-age" and has not changed since creation. The human body thrives on animal fat, animal protein, some nuts & seeds, and some fruit & vegetables when in season. Not until the advent of modern agriculture did the human body consume grains.

When in the back country, I pack jerky, pouches of fatty fish (tuna, salmon), macadamia nuts, almonds, and walnuts.
Husband, Father, Bowhunter

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »
Bring jerky and other meat for protein, lots of nuts and almonds, dark low-sugar chocolate (75%+) and/or dried fish for protein and essential fats, and root-veggies for vitamins and minerals and fiber.

However this does depend a bit on how active you are when hunting.. If you sit in a stand or only move a few of miles a day, you won't need any more carbs than what the above mentioned foods provide.

But if you are very active and carrying a lot of stuff, you will probably need to add some carbs to that. Examples of good carbs are bread/crackers made of wholegrain oats, barley and spelt. Make sure they do not contain sugars!

If you bring along dried berries, they contain enough minerals, antioxydants and "good" sugars to keep your body very happy should you require more spontaneous carbs.

And to clarify, I do not believe that all carbs are bad, cause they aren't, white sugars are.. But to anyone trying to loose weight, low carb plus exercise is a good way to do it.

Good luck, and enjoy your hunt!  :)
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline IdahoCurt

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 04:15:00 PM »
Elk hiking or hunting burns lots of calories,quality complex carbs are a must for me.I cant imagine a week in the woods living off just protein.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
Steve, have you consulted your doctor or nutritonist? I certainly think you should as there is a lot to consider here. You will need a lot of calories for the extra exertion, but professional advice might help ensure you make all the right choices.
Sam

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »
The words backcountry and diet don't usually go together, however having bowel issues because you are changing your eating habits will be pretty crappy...

Good luck...
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
I tried staying on my diet and eating that twigs and berries stuff the first couple days of my hunt last year......I felt like crap.  Then I put some snickers bars in my pack and ran up and down the mountains like an 18 y/o.  Leave your diet at home.   ;)
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
Steve,  Sounds like you and I are facing the same thing.  My Doc actually put a name to it.  Its called Dismetabolic syndrome.  My body has a high resistance to insulin, so if I eat carbs or sugar in any amount my insulin is 3 to 4 times normal.  Results..feel crappy, no energy, spikes in hunger weight gain etc etc.

Sounds like you know the drill.  With a little planning you can pull it off.  Just beware the buddies that will give you the "YOU NEED CARBS FOR ENERGY" thing.  They just don't know what you/I are doing.  And they will get away with it for a while and after 40 years of carb loading they will probably be just where I was.  Just this close to diabetic,  now,,,my numbers aren't even close to going there.

As for you being able to keep your hi protein diet and being in the back country not going together,,,,, man did it for tens of thousands of years, before the invention or cultivation of grains, sugars in huge quantities etc etc.  Besides, you could say you were eating more traditional.  Hehe

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
Shoot something to eat as soon as you get there...lol.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
Military MRE's (Meals ready to eat) can get them at most outdoor stores.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline horsehairhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
Steve-Stick with what has been working.  The fats from good food will give you plenty of energy.  If you're not concerned with weight, a bunch of hard boiled eggs will last a while, and here is a link to a good no-carb bread I use.  Top it with almond butter or smoked salmon W/ cheese   http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breads/r/flaxbasicfoc.htm

Good luck chasing the Elk!

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by CalArcher:
 Remember, the human body is "stone-age" and has not changed since creation. The human body thrives on animal fat, animal protein, some nuts & seeds, and some fruit & vegetables when in season. Not until the advent of modern agriculture did the human body consume grains.

I would use a little caution following "stone age" philosophy too closely.  Remember, the average lifespan before the advent of agriculture was about 40 years.  Some of that is due to the dangers of the nomadic hunter-gatherer lifestyle, but some of it is also the long term effects of a high fat diet.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
I would just keep my calorie levels up to the task, be it with protein and fat, or carbs.

The thing is that most of the low carb/no carb weightloss success comes from a reduction in calories. Further more when you combine carbs with protein and fat it eliminates this so called huge insulin spike. What so many low carbers fail to relaize is that protein also gives an insulin spike also. But, this ain't about all that drivel...

just eat enough calories to support your activity level and don't let an obsessive/compulsive diet plan destroy your hunt. Its funny to see all these people worry about high insulin, while eating 5-6 meals per day and keeping a "stable" high insulin and blood sugar level.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©