3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: latest edition of Motor City Machetes ..."Squirrel Smuckers" w/pics  (Read 159 times)

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
These were fun to make, and they hit my bag target with FULL AUTHORITY.  I can't wait to unleash Jihad on some unsuspecting squirrels in a couple more weeks.  September 15th up here.
  The points are spent .38 shell casings.

The points below came to me when I was looking at a full bucket of used keys that we have in our shop at work.  I got to thinking it would work great as a small game head.  Took them over to the disc sander and out came some simple smallgame points that weigh in at 115 grains (give or take 3 grains).  I have a funny feeling they will do better on squirrels and rabbits than a shell casing, but only time will tell.

Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: latest edition of Motor City Machetes ..."Squirrel Smuckers" w/pics
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
Looks like you've found the KEY to killing squirrels with recycled materials Mike...  :laughing:  Sorry I couldn't resist. This looks rather interesting....So where are the infamous pics with those bad boys mounted....You know how impatient we TGer's are!!! Thanks for posting and look forward to seeing you UNLOCKING the door to the tree rat city.
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
Sweet!    :archer2:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by americanhunter7:
Looks like you've found the KEY to killing squirrels with recycled materials Mike...    :laughing:    Sorry I couldn't resist. This looks rather interesting....So where are the infamous pics with those bad boys mounted....You know how impatient we TGer's are!!! Thanks for posting and look forward to seeing you UNLOCKING the door to the tree rat city.
Didn't have time today.  My oldest wanted me to take him fishing and he had a ball.  We rode our bikes to my hunting spot, cut a branch, tied a fishing line to it, and he proceded to catch baby bass, bluegills, and even a 12" bullhead with a willow stick as a fishing pole.  Once again, he made me a very proud papa.  The whole branch as a fishing pole was his own idea.  Awesome seeing a 7 year old think outside the box.

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
That's AWESOME Mike!!! I hope you know I'm funnin' and love the ingenuity and thinking outside the box. (Obviously it's rubbing off on your son from being around Dad!!!) Can't wait to see the pics when you get em' together and REALLY can't wait to see a dead ole' tree rat with one of those homemade key BH's.
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
What kind of metal alloy are keys usually made of? Are you going to leave a squared off edge on the cut parts?

Cool idea!

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
They are brass keys.  I will probably file some sort of edge on them just to ensure good penetration, although I doubt a sharp edge is really needed, but I could be wrong.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©