3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree Saddle Impressions & Comments  (Read 296 times)

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
Tree Saddle Impressions & Comments
« on: July 04, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »
I just bought a Tree Saddle and gave it a test drive in my backyard.  Mine's the TS-9 model with the reinforced neoprene seat.  I've got to say, I'm very impressed with the quality and strength of materials used.  All the straps and buckles and everything are really, really heavy duty.  This gives me an extraordinary piece of mind when I'm hanging off the ground.

First I climbed a big oak tree at the end of my yard.  It's about 18" at the base and 15" higher up.  This seems to be near the maximum size tree the suit will allow with the strap lengths.  I used strap-on steps to climb.  The first thing I noticed is that while the Saddle has pouches for the climbing belt and main tether, there are none for climbing steps.  I had to awkwardly drape the steps around my neck as I climbed.  The next thing I noticed is the neoprene seat is hot, which was a concern of mine.  Placing the steps and climbing with the Saddle was pretty similar to using any other climbing belt arrangement.  

At the top, I placed two steps to hold myself against.  I set the tether, released the climbing belt, and leaned back.  The Saddle was very comfortable.  No jimmy pinch or pressure points.  I hauled my bow and a quiver stuffed with arrows up with me.  I spent half an hour in the tree, turning, pivoting, and taking an occassional shot at 3-D target about 15 yds away.  I felt absoutely safe, much more so than in a treestand.

I had reservations that shooting from the Saddle would be an awkward affair, and that it might not allow for a stable shot.  For shots off to my left, though, I was pleasantly wrong.  Since the tether strap comes up from your chest, I did have to initiate my draw with my drawing hand higher than I liked, but hitting and releasing from full draw was about like on the ground.  All of my 18 or so arrows were in the kill.  

I also noticed the purported 360 shooting coverage wasn't working for me.  It seemed more like 180 to 220 degrees, about like a treestand.  Alot of the periferal shooting couldn't be done with my feet on the steps, but rather, I had to turn and set my thigh against the tree while hanging free, while rotating my hips in the seat.  Took a little getting used to.  I suspect this coverage would improve greatly if I had been in a smaller tree.  Still, if someting comes in quick directly off to my right side, I don't think I'd be able to quickly and "quietly" flip around for a shot.  Another trouble with turning is that my boots squeaked on the metal steps whenever I pivoted, unless I bent my ankles out, which seemed a little dicey on those steps.  I did take two shots at a leaf on the limit of that 220 degrees range, which hit just off the leaf.

I then moved to a cherry tree. First I set up in a fork.  The shooting characteristics weren't much different in than the vertical oak tree.  My foot would get stuck in the fork and I'd make all kinds of noise and movements to shoot off the back side.

But alas, I stepped out on a nearly horizontal limb and threw the tether up over the limb above.  I sat down in the seat and realized immediately that this is where the Saddle will shine.  360 degrees no problem.  As long as I kept a good bit of weight on the Saddle, instead of trying to stand wholely on the limb, stability was great.  Fortunuately, I had a specific tree in mind when I bought this.  It's a big branchy thing right on a fenceline that isn't condusive to treestands.  I've tried to hunt out of it in the past with just a safety harness, but it never went very well.  The Saddle will be just the ticket.

For anyone who has used or seen the neoprene model and the lighter mesh model, do the strap components have the same arrangement and are they as heavy duty as with the neoprene model?  Is the mesh quiet?  Rugged?  And have you got any tips on how to get that 360 degree coverage in a vertical tree?

Offline nel

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree Saddle Impressions & Comments
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
Ok Adam, I am seriously considering the Ambush Saddle. I love that fact you started this thread.

Is the reason you couldn't get a full 360 degrees on the straight tree because you didn't have enough tree steps in for your feet?

Is the fact that you maxed the harness strap out on a 18" tree why they sell a 12' strap?

Did you feel any undue pressure on your lower back during any of your positions?

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »
Nel, I had plenty of steps.  The reason I couldn't shoot off to my right side is that I couldn't move around the tree far enough to shoot to the other side without becoming a human pendulum on the taught tether!  With a small 6" tree, I'm sure this would be less of a problem since there is less distance to travel around the tree(meaning the tether won't get taken up as much), but I don't know by how much. The other option to shoot to towards your off-side is to pivot your hips in the seat and essentially twist the whole works in place.  But I just couldn't get into a good enough position to be able to hit full draw that way.

On a big tree, that long strap seems short quick!  It has to be placed head high, gets wrapped around the tree twice, overhand knotted, and then loops down through the waist belt to support you.  I used most of the tether length on that tree.  Also, the length of the climbing belt that is attached to the Saddle was getting maxed out when I was trying to get enough room to get it around and over my steps.  You could probably climb something a little larger than I was on, but not much. (20" at the base and 18" max higher up perhaps?)

I didn't feel any pressure on my back.  They recommend you keep 60% of your weight in the seat and 40% on the steps.  If you lock your knees and lean back, it's very comfortable.  No undue pressure or lack thereof, whatsoever.  If your legs get tired, you can sink towards the tree with most or all of your weight in the seat, only then it feels like you could use some upper back support.  While tight against the tree (with no weight on your legs) you can wedge your bow across your lap and cross your arms behind the tether, which locks you in place more comfortably.  You could actually take a nap in that position while you're waiting for the sun to come up.

So far, I like it and am sure it will be just the ticket for certain spots and on-the-fly setups.  I was out for jaunt tonight and saw several more spots that would be ideal for it.  But, I really wonder if the lighter mesh seat wouldn't be better for me in the warmer weather and short duration hunts I usually do.  (If its as strong and quiet.)  And I'd love to hear any advise on shooting 360 degrees!

Offline Keith Karr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »
Adam,   Sent you a PM.
Keith Karr

Offline Pete Darby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 02:31:00 PM »
Neat idea about hanging from one limb with your feet on another.  I can get 360 on a straight tree but I use a bit different setup.  I use lonewolf climbing sticks (4) then set three hangons 90 degrees around the tree from the top step on the lone wolf. This allows more pivot space and If I have sufficient warning from the deer I can actually grap the strap with the d rings and walk around the tree to shoot in any direction.
Another advantage I have noticed is that if you are up tight against the tree and get spotted the deer may (maybe not) look for a few seconds then return to feeding and keep coming.
Pete Darby

Offline Boswell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 03:14:00 PM »
Im new to trad gear, but i used my last year with my compound and killed a deer(right side, weak side 12 yards)and a bear(left side, strong side 6 yards) out of mine. I use the neoprene model which as Adam pointed out is warm in the early season but in the cold days of winter is nice. I used 6 strap on steps that i cut appart and put on 1 rachet strap as my platform at the top and I use 4 lone wolf climbing sticks. I hunted out of smaller trees. Trees you couldn't hang a tree stand in. The more steps atop the tree you are the less of a "human pendulum" you become because you have more steps to balance your weight on. That was all I hunted out of last year, I bought some knee pads and that allowed me to stay in the stand much longer. Hope to wack a deer out it with my longbow this season
Boswell

Offline nel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
What a great idea!

Spreading a half a dozen steps on one ratchet strap!

Boswell, you're a genius!

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 03:59:00 AM »
I do the same thing as Boswell with the steps but I use a Treesuit. I prefer to set up early season with screw in stepa. I use Lone Wolf sticks and the set up described to go portable.

Offline LEFTY_ IN_ WV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 05:45:00 AM »
web page  

What do you think about this?
"Seek Quality Not Quantity"
>>>===LEFTYINWV===>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©