3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tuned my arrows perfectly... to the wrong brace height!  (Read 191 times)

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
Tuned my arrows perfectly... to the wrong brace height!
« on: August 29, 2011, 12:40:00 AM »
Ok, quick summation...4 years of shooting... 2 years of target panic. Finally getting over it and able to tune my equipment.

Thought I had the right brace height. Bare shaft tuned my arrows and was hitting good from 30 yards.

Then it hit me, if my nock height was off this bad, what is my brace height doing? My bow was quiet to begin with but just went and shot in the dark just for sound and feeling of the bow and 1 in higher in brace height later its dead quiet with no hand shock and grouping scary close.

How much is this going to effect my arrow tuning? 25 grain front weight? I'm definitely willing to build out my shelf.

Just wondering what kind of damage i just did haha
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tuned my arrows perfectly... to the wrong brace height!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 12:59:00 AM »
I dunno about the tuning, you will just have to play around with them. As for the bow, if its got glass in it I doubt you did any damage.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 05:06:00 AM »
I think I'd just build out my side plate a touch.  It shouldn't take much. That being said, how much did it move your impact point?

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 06:09:00 AM »
You know, I honestly believe that a quarter-inch or so (or more) of brace height makes no difference to actual deadliness of a bow and arrow. Given ball-park matching of arrow to bow, these weapons just work despite us. But, tweaking does produce confidence.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 07:19:00 AM »
Sounds as if you are starting to be able to enjoy shooting more thse days. - That's wonderful!

Allow your set-up to dictate it's needs based on your own. Then focus on taking pleasure in your craft.

Best of luck!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »
What are your bareshafts telling you?
shoot straight shoot often

Offline pitt98

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
The only effect that raising your brace height should have would be that it would somewhat weaken your effective arrow spine (people who have arrows slightly too stiff can raise their brace height to compensate).  If you find that it did slightly put your set-up out of tune on the weak side, looper is correct, just build out your side plate a little bit at a time until it brings the effective spine of your arrow back in tune.
Damon Howatt Super Diablo 54# @28
BW PSA 60" 51# @28
RER Arroyo 58" 60# @28
Kwyk Styk 54" 54#@28
Eaglewing Talon 11 62" 53# @28
Zipper Nitro 60" 47#@28
Allegheny Mt longbow 60" 40#@28

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
Brace heights by the bowyer who built the bow are only "recommendations". They're not carved in granite.

The recommended brace height for a 66" take down Blacktail recurve is 7 3/4"-8". Since a Blacktail's shelf is cut 3/16" past center, it will shoot a variety of differently spined arrows from the bow poundages I shoot with my 30" draw length and 32" BOP (back of point) arrows. This allows me to shoot a very light spined 2212 aluminum arrow all the way up to a heavy spined 2117 by experimenting with point weight and adjusting the brace height.

With that said, I've shot both of my Blacktails with brace heights ranging from 7 1/4"-8 3/16". No problems from accuracy or noise from arrow release.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
OK, thanks guys. I am definitely starting to enjoy it like i did when i first started.

I was just curious to how much effect brace height has on your arrow spine. I'm not sure as to how much effect it has had, I will find out this evening I guess.

I fletched up all my bareshafts since i had them tuned   :dunno:  

I will have to buy some more brass inserts
Combo Hunter 46@28

Offline Old Chief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
You might want to keep 2 or 3 bareshafts even after you have them tuned.  I shoot them most days just to check my form.  Also helps when I want to try something different for a few days to see how it will work for me.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
Now sure is a bad time to be messing with your bow and arrows if you plan to hunt this year. Does your set up shoot well for you. If so, don't worry about whether it is set up properly or not!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
I'm just now getting to where i can shoot consistently and my stuff was all out of tune. Arrows, nock, brace... the whole shabang. I know its getting close to season but it needs to be done.

I just need to be able to hit from 15 yards. Which is fine right now..
Combo Hunter 46@28

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
Now is a great time to discover little errors like that. You have some time to tweak the arrows and do some practice.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©