3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadheads  (Read 219 times)

Offline Bltbsf

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadheads
« on: August 29, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
I'm new to bowhunting and thought I would try traditional equipment first.  It's getting close to season now n I'm wanting to start practicing with my broadheads.   I've been thinking about trying schwackers or rages any thoughts?

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
Personally I'd check the sponsors list for a more traditionally styled broadhead to maximize your bows efficiency.

Also you might want to check out a couple of the broadhead threads on this board now...if you really are looking to get confused.

You'd be hard pressed to do better than a Woodsman Broadhead... easy to sharpen, flies great, good blood trail, deep penetrating.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
You didn't mention your set up specs, but most traditional bows are much better served by cut on contact broadheads.  I'd suggest something like Magnus Stingers, Muzzy Phantoms, Tusker Bloody Sharps, Steel Force, something along those lines.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
Brian,

You need to use fixed blade broadheads (preferable cut on contact) with traditional equipment.  Trad bows generally don't have the horsepower to open an expandable BH.  Search the sponsors above, there is a huge selection of proper trad bH's available.

Good luck,

Java Man
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
Being as those are both expandable's, I would have to say no way!  Cut on contact are the way to go, get them sharp and put them in the boiler room.  Magnus, Zwicky, Stos, Muzzy Phantoms, etc. are some to look at.  The problem with expandable's and trad bows is that the arrow isn't going fast enough to reliably open them.  If you want out of the package and ready to hunt with, the Magnus Stingers and Muzzy Phantoms are two good ones to look at.  Good luck and welcome to the site!

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
No way would I shoot mechanical broadheads out of any recurve or longbow. Some may say it's been done with some success but they are far and few and probably shoot real heavy weight bows. Get yourself a reliable cut on contact head from one of the Sponsors here, learn how to sharpen them from the many threads here and hunt with them.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
Welcome from Kentucky and stay away from those type heads with trad gear. Please listen to what has already been said above.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Neither of those heads.

You did not tell us your bow/arrow specs....nor what you are planning on shooting.  So, there's no way to really give you a good answer.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline swamprooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Shoot, I stay away from those heads with any gear. There is a reason Zwickeys have been made for the better part of 100 years. Chris

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 10:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by swamprooter:
Shoot, I stay away from those heads with any gear. There is a reason Zwickeys have been made for the better part of 100 years. Chris
i agree.  i know of too many poeple that have made a good shot only to have their mech. BH fail.  stick with what these guys are telling ya.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
Rage = overmarketed junk IMO.
 I even have my wheelie-shootin brother using cut on contact heads these days. Buzz-cuts, to be more specific.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©