3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BLEMS  (Read 568 times)

Offline burch

• Trad Bowhunter
BLEMS
« on: August 29, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
Got my blems in today and outta a dozen I got 5 straight shafts and 3 of those have a slight wobble.  Now ya can`t complain about the price and I recieved `em 3 days after I ordered `em so I can`t complain about Big Jim`s customer service either. I`m just wondering if when you order Goldtips at the full price are they all straight or is this just the norm with Goldtip ? I understand they are what they are and i`m no way blaiming Big Jim for anything. In fact at his price i`m keeping these for target and stump shooting.  He`s passing on these blems at a very fair price and i`ll be ordering from him in the future. I`m just wondering if everyone else is happy or not happy with shooting the blems ?
      Burch   :dunno:

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: BLEMS
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
No problems with blems from my use. Never a crooked one.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
I've gotten 3 dozen blems and not had a single solitary issue.  All straight, all tough.  Pretty much the exact same thing as regular GTs, but 2/3 cost.  Just a bit off cosmetically.  I guess they could be considered "blemished" for any number of reasons, to include unsoundness.  Dunno.  I like mine though.
Silence is golden.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
Blems are supposed to have cosmetic blemishes only.  They are still supposed to be within tolerance for straightness and spine stiffness.  So I would say that you have the same possibilty of getting crooked ones as you do the unblemished ones.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
I have bought hundreds of carbons over the years from a bunch of different companys. Goldtip blems have been better shafts than some very expensive ones I have bought. Of all those arrows I have never had one that wasen't straight.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
I have NEVER had an issue with blems from Big Jim. Never had any sort of wobble what so ever.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
The shafts have a tolerance of + or - .006 . If they are more than that, I would contact Big Jim. I'm sure he will make them right. Don

Offline burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
I spun these on my spinner and only a couple didn`t have any wobble at all.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
Could be a bad batch. I have some and they are all straight. I don't mind the cosmetic as long as they shoot great. I'm planning on getting my next set soon and ordering some for my Dad also. Mike
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
I suggest you shoot them all. See if you can tell the difference in how they shoot. I'd bet that unless you are as good a shot Rod Jenkins or some of the other World Champions, you won't know the difference.
John

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
never a problem - always good
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »
I just got some more in....3 doz and gonna get some more!  Ive put together 3 doz this year not including the ones Im into now....and not one problem!  2 doz of the order I got just today are Uncle Teds zebra deals....and they are rockin' cool!  Gotta love the blems!  Not sure why ya got wobblers.

Offline burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
Well with all this good pointing toward no problems, maybe it`s my dang spinner LOL !!!!!

Burch

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
I just got mine today, I cant even tell why they would be blems.  very happy with them!!

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
Burch,
  I was just about to ask you if you have ever checked your spinner? You could have a very small flat spot or some wax or something on it ..Even a small section of rust on a wheel could make an arrow look like a bent stick....Sight down that shaft and rotate it and see if you see any belly's or crowns also...Roll them on a very flat counter top also...I would try all those things before calling Big Jim...Keefer's <><

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
I've got two dozen made up and ready to go for my elk hunt.  They shoot as good as any shaft I've ever put on my bows.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
Your arrows are straight as can be I bet.

I would re check em'.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
Burch, did you check them full length or after you cut them. If you glued the insert you might have a little more glue on one side or the insert might be a little off. Did you spin them with a field point or broad head.

Is there a way you can heat the insert and twist it and see if that helps. I always try 1 or 2  new field points. I spin them on my finger to feel if there any wobbles. If this not the cause then I do not know.

Offline Dale in Pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
Burch, I'm gonna be the odd man out here.I've gotten several doz. Gts and some are absolutely horrible for straightness.The last doz I got were 1sts,not blems.The spine varied by 8# and a couple wobbled by at least 1/8".  

Can't really say the straightness made much difference in accuracy, but I could tell the diff in spine when bareshafting. Gotta say though,the crooked shafts don't instill a lot of confidence in your equipment.

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
Have you weighted the shafts can be as much as 10 grains off for 3 out of a dozen price wise you still come out..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©