3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kansas City Missouri Area Hunting  (Read 647 times)

Offline bayoubowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Kansas City Missouri Area Hunting
« on: July 04, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »
What is the scoop on the huntig in this area?  There is a possible move in my future to this neck of the woods and since trad bow hunting is a big part of my life it would be nice to get some info on hunting opportunities that are available in this area.  Any input would be appreciated. Thanks..

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kansas City Missouri Area Hunting
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
Get on the KS side and you are getting in the state that everyone wants to hunt.  Some of the best deer hunting in the U.S.   MO is a little less, but still beyond excellent hunting.  The good thing is you are just a couple hours from IA, NE, KS and of course MO.  Pretty easy to have some world class whitetail and turkey hunting.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline rawshaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »
I have a brother in that area and trying to set up a hunt up there this year or next...
Jamie Johnson

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »
Lots of conservation ground within 1 hour drive of downtown. Also they have a few special draw hunts on some of the conservation public use areas in the urban core, James a. Reed wildlife area is one I know of. Good luck if you make the move. bretto

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »
Kansas would be the side I would chose for hunting.  As far as living I would lean toward the Mo. side for sure.  North of the river and western side(Platte County, Clay County)  I live in Clay County.
I know of some good Conservation Areas that are about an hour out.  Pm me and I'll give more details.  Good Luck on your move.  Let me know when you get here and we'll go shoot!!!
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 11:53:00 PM »
I agree with Brian.  Move to the KS side for in state hunting.  The MO non resident is OTC and only about $125.  The MO side does have plenty of public ground.  Some of the best bucks killed in MO come from KC and St Louis.  Drop us a message when you get settled in.  Always looking for another shooting partner.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 01:23:00 AM »
Theres even an urban bowhunting management plan in place where area biologist get hunters in touch with landowners experiencing deer damage issues.  The emphasis is on antlerless deer.  Great opportunities, Contact the local Missouri Department of Conservation offices. Daryl
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 06:32:00 AM »
I was fortunate enough to draw last year on the KC parks hunt.  I got to hunt Tiffany Springs by the airport. Saw alot of deer, killed two does so I'm automatically in this year.  The Draw starts Sept.1st and needs to be in by Sept. 28th.  Also saw some impressive bucks while scouting and 1 while hunting.

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 09:59:00 AM »
FYI,if you live in Kansas I think that Missouri will charge you the same as a Kansa Non-resident would have to pay for the out of state license.Missouri has more public land to hunt as well tho Ks. does have a walk in hunt program.There is good and less good to both sides of the border...

Either way you'll be close to Mojam...  :thumbsup:

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
There are some pretty public lands fairly close as they have stated.  Urban hunts to apply for and getting a place to bowhunt on private property is not overly difficult either.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 11:03:00 PM »
Keith,

I live about 20 minutes north of the airport on the border between Missouri and Kansas.  Both states seem to be loaded with deer and turkey.  Missouri just doesn't have the older mature bucks because of the centerfire rifle gun season that corresponds with the rut.  A guy that lives in Tonganoxie, KS (only an hour or so north of KC) killed a huge deer this last fall with a compound that scored 220 or something.  

Brian,

What are the rules with that Tiffany Springs Hunt.  I heard you need a bowhunters education course. I heard they encourage you to shoot does.  Does that mean you can't shoot a buck?

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 12:29:00 PM »
Rules are you can shoot a buck but if thats all you shoot then you wont be able to draw again for these hunts and that is per the biologist running the hunts.  However if you kill two does then you are automatically in for next year. At least the was the standing order last year.  I already got my green light papers for this year.  You have to hunt out of a tree stand and cannot shoot deer while in transit to stand or back to vehicle.  Yes, this year you need a Bowhunter Ed Card starting this year.  I believe its going to be for all draw hunts state wide eventually.  There are three hunts to put in for this year.  Tiffany Springs, Hodge Park, and River Front Park.  

Chris,  I've read you had a couple Zippers?  Sure would like to shoot one.  Because I think if I ever get some cash together I might give one a shot.

Offline bayoubowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
Hey guys,  All the info is much apprecaited. Planning on taking a "check it out" visit in a couple of weeeks. Mainly job/housing though. Know anybody that is interested in hiring a retired Navy Master Chief..Still got a lot of life left in me.   :thumbsup:

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
What was your rate Chief?There are VA hospitals in the area that you could check out for employement.One in KC,another in Leavenworth on the KS side and one in Topeka.Good luck with the search.
Hey,it just occured to me that MOJAM is in a couple of weeks!Marshall is just east of KC so you could have a dual mission trip.  :thumbsup:

Offline bayoubowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
I was a CT. Spent a lot of my time on boats (SSN) and overseas.  I have certainly heard about MOJAM..Would love to make it.  Thanks for the info. dusting off the resume now..

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 06:33:00 PM »
Ummmm Cheif...... Some jobs may require mobile use of the index fingers.  I thought when anybody made chief there was a permanent bend inflicted to the index finger.  Wasn't good for much besides hanging a coffee cup off of.....   :bigsmyl:

Ha!  Just funnin' ya.

I'm an ex jarhead who spent most of my time in Yuma wrenching on F-4's and that was sort of a standing joke back then.  Usually applied to warrant officers too...

Lots of good hunting to be had on both sides of the border and quite a few trad guys around the area too.  I've never hunted the KS side because I couldn't afford it.  It's cheaper to go to Colorado and hunt elk last time I checked.  We've had a couple of small get togethers here to shoot and even had one "bunny hunt" where I actually killed one, missed a turkey and almost got a shot at a doe.  Plus like the others said there's always Mojam.

Do a search on the MO conservation dept and you can get into all kinds of good info including maps of the conservation areas.  Quite a few areas are bowhunting only for deer and that ia a big plus for us.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
Brian,

Your more than welcome to come shoot the Zipper Extreme that I have once I get it back.  I'm having it refinished and it should be back in about a couple of weeks.

If you want to meet at the archery range at Platte Falls that would be a good place to try it out.

Thanks for the info on the Parks hunt.  I'm going to sign up for the Bowhunting class and apply for them. Sounds like fun.  Maybe I'll get lucky and get draw.

Dave, Good to see your still around.  What have you been up to lately?  Heard of any good bow fishing sites?  We need to find a few.  I'm sure Platte Falls has a few good spots.  Especially now that the weather is getting hot.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »
Chris I shoot up at Platte often. Really would like to take you up on that offer.

Speaking of Tiffany Springs, I went up there today by where I hunted last year and took pics of a really, really nice buck.  Wide, and had quite a few points.  I took it with 35mm and 300 zoom.  I hope they come out.  If they do I'll scan them and post here.

Offline bayoubowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »
U hit it Dave, the infamous Chief Coffee Finger. I do ok as long as I don't have to type too much.

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
Dave good to see that you still visit here.  Are you headed to MOJAM?  Irish and I will be there Friday - Sunday morning.  Let me know when you guys up north are getting together for a little practice.  We have a walk thru here in Lee's Summit if you all are interested sometime.  Not sure about the target conditions.  Usually not too bad.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©