3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: heavy bow woes  (Read 330 times)

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
heavy bow woes
« on: August 30, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
I cant seem to find arrows, of any material, that are spined heavy enough for my bows. I just found out that easton discontinued their heaviest aluminum shaft (2419) and the heaviest carbons are still under spined by at least 25 pounds. And they cost an arm and a leg. I managed to pick up a dozen 2419s used. Was shooting in the backyard, missed the target and GAANNKK!!! Hit a rock. Broken. Ouch  :(  So what now? Do I have to treat arrows like gold?

:knothead:

Offline Kninja

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: heavy bow woes
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
Maybe you could find some discarded light poles and work them down some. Lol. 110 lbs!? You are manly man!

I would think there's got to be a carbon arrow out there that will suit you. Good luck finding something that works out for you.
"Life is not about the destination, it's the journey."

Tred Barta

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
I'm kind of in the same situation you are... long draw length (29 1/2"  to 30" depending on the bow handle)... and fairly heavy bows for my age (average 75 #).

XX75 2419s were my favorite aluminum shafts (thank goodness I still have some). I only use them for practice and for hunting small game now.

For big game I only use wood. Surprisingly, heavy spine wood shafts can be found, but I don't know if there are any for 110#... check with some of the sponsors here to start.

Many years ago when I shot heavier bows I used to insert one aluminum shaft into the other. One of my favorites was one I called the 2525... a 2213 inside of a 2512 I believe it was. I had other combinations as there are a few sizes that fit/match up perfectly inside/outside of each other.

I don't think that there is an economical solution.

Good luck in your search.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
Wow Ken, 75#ers for small game....like kudu?? try Lancaster Archery in Lancaster, Pa. I was there last week and they had some SERIOUS shafts for sale. Or perhaps grizzly Sticks??????
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
jackdaw... LOL... I like to hunt small game with the same bow for realistic practice... and often I have the opportunity to shoot small game coming and going while hunting big game.

I match the arrows close enough to shoot the same and always carry an aluminum shafted rubber blunt and an aluminum shafted judo point in my bow quiver.

Being stronger than average can be a lifelong curse, but as I age, I am beginning to realize that if we live to be old enough, before we die we might end being only as strong as a "normal" man in his prime. LOL!
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
Put a GT 7595 inside a 2219.  That should be just about right. Use some epoxy glue or cut it just short enough to fit the insert
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Grizzly Stik Safari's should be ok.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
Maybe Merlin will have and answer he shoot bow like that . When I shoot big bow 89 @ 27 BW I shot wood 100 pound cut 27 1/2 to bop
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by longbowray:
Maybe Merlin will have and answer he shoot bow like that . When I shoot big bow 89 @ 27 BW I shot wood 100 pound cut 27 1/2 to bop
Same goes for that Raging Waters guy. Big guy, big bows.
 Maybe Denny Sturgis.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
What are your bow specs and your true draw length?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
Just curious.

A 2419 has a .268 spine. Can you use a 2317 which has a .297 spine? If so, Easton has the 2317 in the XX75 Camo Hunter series.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »
Woodies may be your best bet. Every shaftmaker usually has a pile laying around that he can't get rid of.  If you don't want wood, have you tried Grizzly sticks Safari?  I shot 85#s and the Safaris seem like they are a bit stiff for me.
TommyBoy

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
Dont know the cost most lilky not cheep but the easton full metal jacket big game is a .250 spine and 17.7 gpi
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Spectre:  
Originally posted by longbowray: When I shoot big bow 89 @ 27 BW I shot wood 100 pound cut 27 1/2 to bop
Same goes for that Raging Waters guy. Big guy, big bows. Maybe Denny Sturgis. [/b]
The problem for me is not so much spine as overall arrow weight. Why? It is because I have a 27 1/2 Draw length. The shorter arrow helps with the spine but getting an arrow to 9 - 10 GPI, is a little tough. I have used weight tubes (Not really happy with those) or wooden dowels from the Hardware Store. I pinch the dowels, with pliers, really hard to get them “flat” inside the arrow so; they won’t move around, make noise or knock off my nochs. Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
If I may offer a sugestion. Put a "wanted" add in the classifieds of some different websites. Somebody may have some left over from the old days. I found some Micro Flight arrows this way.

Offline BuckyT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
Take a look at this.

http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/product/28#  

I think I still have some of these shafts at my house. 2413's.

I shot them out of an old compound of mine.  If I do have them, I don't know how long they are..  The old bow had an overdraw on it, so they're probably pretty short..

But, I'll look anyways for you and see.  

How long are the arrows you shoot now?

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
Build out your sideplate.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
2419s come up pretty regular on that nasty auction site and usually go for less than a dozen legacys.................
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
Gold Tip Big Game 100's are stiffer than 2419's.  Expensive though.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline marlon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
Surewoods douglas fir they have up to 125# spine!
marlon torres

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©