3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cane Arrows  (Read 257 times)

Offline BossDog

• Trad Bowhunter
Cane Arrows
« on: July 04, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »
I need some help on making some arrows from river cane.  I know absolutely nothing about it.  Do any of you know where I could get some information?  I Googled it and got over 400,000 hits and read what looked pertinent on the first 10 or so pages and did not find what I needed.  Any help appreciated.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline BossDog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cane Arrows
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »
Thanks. Appreciate the link.  It's not quite what I'm looking for, but I'll keep looking.  May not be able to ever find the detail I think I need.  Probably just my being dense.  Thanks again.

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 12:34:00 AM »
Ferret's site is about the best I've found. Of course Mickey got me started in person. So he answered a few questions of mine.

What exacty is your questions. There are enough people on here that build them so your questions should be answered quick enough.

Straightening is the hardest part and takes several sessions of working on them. Or at least it has for me. It is fairly simple though. Just coat the section to be straightened with vegetable oil or simalar and heat over a candle, turning it to heat it evenly. then carfully straighten with your thumbs.

Mickey also showed me to plug the ends witha short peice of dowel. Just drill to the size of the dow and glue it in. Then cut the selfnock.
Jason Lester

Offline Dingus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 08:00:00 AM »
Jack: If you can make it up to MOJAM, you'll probably get all the "hands on" help you want.  Second idea is find a Trad Ganger near you for a little tutoring.  Where in TX are you?

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 08:06:00 AM »
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »
Yea not sure what kind of info you're looking for that you couldn't find...identifying? harvesting? drying? straightening? plugging? foreshafts? selfnocks? tapering the plugged cane? fletching?It's really pretty straight forward. Every civilization since time began that had cane available used it for arrow shafting. Good stuff.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
Tough stuff... Making them is addictive too.
Jason Lester

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©