3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Measuring nock point height  (Read 9761 times)

Offline TomBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Measuring nock point height
« on: August 31, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
I need to confirm whether or not I am measuring nock point height correctly.  Recently have converted to 3-under and have looked into raising the nock, as suggested.  I keep hearing "my nock point is x/x" above center".  Is that the same as measuring from shelf level,which is what I have always used?  I have a T-square to measure nock height and brace height, just want to make sure I'm using it correctly.  Thanks in advance.
Best of Luck!

Toelke Whip "MTB" 62", 53#@28
'65 K-Mag 52", 58@28
'53 Bear Cub longbow, 64" 60#@28

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Measuring nock point height
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
Yes. An actual bow square makes simple and accurate work of this job plus it's great to check brace and tiller height.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
Yes. I measure from the shelf height using a bow square. I use 2 nock points..the bottom of the TOP nock point is at 1/2" above shelf level.  The top of the BOTTOM nock point is about 1/4" above shelf level. I leave a little wiggle room so the nock points don't pinch the arrow nock.

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 04:45:55 PM »
How would you read this?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 06:41:36 PM »
Since the measurement marks on the bow square are on the right, I assume the nock on the right side of the photo is the top nock.  The bottom nock is below the shelf level, and the top nock is at 1/8” above the shelf level.  This configuration would not work for any bow I’ve ever shot!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2024, 06:48:19 PM »
I agree with Dave
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2024, 07:04:50 PM »
Sorry. No it’s the other way around.  The bottom nock is to the right. The top is to the left. Not sure why the picture rotated.   The bottom of the top nock is quite high at I’m guessing 6/8” or 3/4” high.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2024, 07:24:42 PM »
That's my take on it. Bottom nockset is at 1/2" and top is 3/4"
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2024, 07:33:40 PM »
Yes. This a bit on the high side?   That said, I just noticed a good bit of wear on the rest since the last time I’ve shot. First time pulling that bow out this year. Since last summer. Just too busy. It’s sickening.   The arrows were flying good a year ago. But I did notice a little wobble up and down in one slow mo vid.  I’ll probably bareshaft one of these arrows again come the summer. I would like to adjust brace height too.  It’s definently a little thunk to it. Not sure if it’s normal.  The arrows are just under 10gpp.   Whereas the 62” recurve I have the arrows are 11.6 gpp with 6 lbs lower draw weight and a B55 string vs whatever came on the longbow. It’s a Martin. D97? Or fast flight?  I wouldn’t know.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 08:10:06 PM by Vroomvroom »

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2024, 09:46:59 PM »
If you haven't shot for a while or shot that bow for a while, I would shoot it for some time before changing anything. Sometimes it's just you that needs to settle in.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2024, 05:23:22 AM »
Yes you’re probably right.  I just noticed a bit more wear on the rest.  But I’ll leave it all until I get a chance to shoot more. 

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2024, 06:50:02 AM »
Looks like mine  :biglaugh:  Yep bottom of top nocking point 5/8 to 3/4. I’ve tried several times over the years to move it down after reading in forums how “wrong” that is, to have such an high nocking pt. Always end up moving it back up. My bow square now has permanent lines scribed into it where the top nock will be.

No way I could shoot 1/4 or 3/8 above shelf with top nock like some folks say. My feathers would wear out in about 5 min  :goldtooth:

R
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 06:42:19 AM by Ryan Rothhaar »

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2024, 07:10:53 AM »
I’ve heard 5/8” a lot.  Mines touch higher than that just wonder what people’s thoughts were. That said, I haven’t shot in a while and the few shots I took the other day were 20 yards and under and it’s fast enough I’d really need put a slo mo to watch the flight better.  These are gt trads 400’s I’m using.  522grs. Around 15 FOC.   55at28 Savannah.  I’m 26.5” draw when I measure from back of bow to nock groove. Not sure how ppl get such a long draw. I’m 5’9”. 195lbs.   I feel fully open and extended.

I’m using gt trad classic xts on the recurve. 62” 49at28. 535 grains. Approx 18.9 FOC.  But holding the arrows I really feel the difference in the FOC. 

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2024, 08:10:36 AM »
All my widows shoot a carbon arrow best when the bottom of the nock is about 6/8's. I'm probably wrong but measurements of nocking points should be taken from the bottom of the actual nock... and not from the bottom of the top brass set. Given the OP mentioned he left a small amount of gap between the nocks for wiggle room; I would say the picture illustrates a nock measuring height of a little less than 5/8's. (using the bottom of the nock)

That would be too low for my carbon arrows and just about right for my aluminums with the head weights I shoot on each. I shoot three under.
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2024, 08:28:16 AM »
Ok.  So you mean the difference between the arrow shelf and the bottom of the arrow nock while on the string.   Which, at a guess in my picture would be about 5/8s from the shelf.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2024, 08:34:06 AM »
More often than not, 5/8” is  where I end up-to the bottom of the top nock,  seldom less.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2024, 08:42:47 AM »
Looking at a video I took shooting those arrows, there was a slight up and down wobble. Wondering if not kicking off the shelf.  When I get the chance I may shoot a while to see how they fly.  And if wobbling after a while I’ll play with nock height.  I like slow mo videos. They help a lot

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2024, 09:16:36 AM »
I think your on the right track. If you shoot three under I think your a bit low on the picture shown. Try putting the bottom of the nock about 1/8' above the top line on the square if your shooting carbon with a lot of FOC.

Of course, people, bows, and arrows are different for everyone. That's just what works for me. I've always thought it is higher than it should be; but the single bareshaft method always shows that spot tunes the arrow to my bows the best.

Also against all reasonable common thought and universal acceptance; I find the arrow 'bumps' if I leave that small gap between the bottom of the arrow nock and the top of bottom nocking point. I keep them snug to the arrow nock (no wiggle room) but use a tied knot to provide a little give if that makes any sense.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 09:22:09 AM by Stringwacker »
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2024, 07:26:13 PM »
About the only thing we agree on is the the arrow nock is higher than the shelf, but we don't seem to measure it in the same way.  Some folks nock under the nock point, others above it.  So a statement of nock point height isn't a very helpful measurement/descriptor unless we know where the arrow is nocked in relation to the nock point, above it or below it.  It remains confusing if two nock points are used because we then don't know which one is being referenced when nock height is stated, the top nock point or the lower nock point. 

Probably the best way to go about it is to state how high above the shelf the lower end/bottom of the arrow nock should be when on the string, as some have suggested above.  With that measurement, folks can affix the nockpoint(s) on the string appropriately. 

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2024, 01:09:41 AM »
About the only thing we agree on is the the arrow nock is higher than the shelf, but we don't seem to measure it in the same way.  Some folks nock under the nock point, others above it.  So a statement of nock point height isn't a very helpful measurement/descriptor unless we know where the arrow is nocked in relation to the nock point, above it or below it.  It remains confusing if two nock points are used because we then don't know which one is being referenced when nock height is stated, the top nock point or the lower nock point. 

Probably the best way to go about it is to state how high above the shelf the lower end/bottom of the arrow nock should be when on the string, as some have suggested above.  With that measurement, folks can affix the nockpoint(s) on the string appropriately.

Picking above nock would be a bad idea. When we draw back arrow would be pushed higher
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©