3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: off the shelf  (Read 484 times)

Offline fazhu

• Trad Bowhunter
off the shelf
« on: September 01, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
Hello all.  Why do people shoot "off the shelf"?  I can understand an increased reliability but what are other reasons that you shelfers have?  I ask the question because I have been shooting feathers off the shelf but am wondering about vanes and a little plastic rest. Opinions? Thanks.

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: off the shelf
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
It brings the arrow closer to my ehand and makes it easier for me to shoot where i look/point.
That plus the better reliabilty are enough reasons for me.

Also asked the other way round: "Why not?"   :D
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by saumensch:
It brings the arrow closer to my ehand and makes it easier for me to shoot where i look/point.
That plus the better reliabilty are enough reasons for me.

Also asked the other way round: "Why not?"    :D  
X2   :thumbsup:
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
x3 close to hand and simplicity
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Leon.R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
Less to worry about and seems to work just fine...
Black Douglas 68#
Wing Gull 60#
Hoyt Havoc 80#
Coupla other wheelies.
If ya gonna be stupid, you better be tough!

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
All but one of my bows shoot fine off the shelf.  Simple is good so that's how I leave them.  One 52" bow however, will only shoot well for me with an elevated rest; so an elevated rest it is on that bow.  Guess I just don't shoot well enough to see any difference in accuracy in the 20 yard range.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
Just 'Cuz I Do!! hahaha Warning My Friend...Vanes & Trad. Bows is a BAD MIX! I never had any luck with them, even off a Raised Rest.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
Closer to hand and can't come unglued or fall off or break.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
Try it,you might like them in wet conditions.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »
Paul Schaefer used an elevated rest and plactic vanes. He is about the epitome of what I hold to be a true hunter and archer. It is all about shooting accurately. If you find that shooting off an elevated rest with vanes makes you a better shot the why would  you not do it? Those who have trouble getting vanes to fly well just haven't got to the point where they have the correct combination of correct arrow spine, vane size or type. Vanes, elevated rests and trad bows are very compatible if you are willing to take the time to get it right.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
I shoot off the shelf because I want to and I can...  

Same reason I shoot wooden arrows
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
I'm with Bill 100% !!!!!   :readit:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
My arrow never falls off the shelf like it would with an elevated rest when I'm stalking javelina.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
Night Wing...then, I would say, your experience with elevated rests is limited. That's an assumption I am making but when I was shooting off the shelf an arrow fell off the shelf as I was taking the bow off of a bow hook in my stand, and almost cost me a 10 point buck. I was fortunate the arrow did not hit the stand and that acorns were falling as the deer just looked in my direction thinking he heard an acorn fall (another assumption). I was able to get another arrow on the string and shot him thru the heart. Arrows do, indeed, fall off the shelf. After that incident I got out my old Sta Jac Arrow cinch and it has been on all my bows ever since.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
All my Recurves are set up with an elevated rest, mainly because I listened to Paul Schafer years ago. I have never looked back or regreted the move.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
Why?  I shoot a longbow and with the arrow on the shelf it allows for me to have the arrow down on my hand and I can feel the arrow on my trigger finger of my bow hand.  With the shooting method I am using that has advantages for me.    

Elevated rest can work well on recurves for the mentioned resons, improved clearance, accuracy, etc.  

Jack Harrison uses brush rests on his longbows and describes how to instll them in his book.  They are actually pretty cool looking an look functional.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
An elevated rest will forgive a less than perfect release because there's a small, flexible contact point. Mine improved arrow flight dramatically, and consequently my accuracy. Here's my set up. I believe my arrows fall off much less than on the shelf.

BW PCH III

His servant

Offline S C Mercer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
I agree 100% with Bill C's posts.  

I switched to an elevated rest after reading everything I could ever find about Paul Shafer's style of bowhunting.   Best changes I have made to date and I have no plans to ever go back to off the shelf.  I even have Bear Weather Rest set up on my Morrison Longbows after talking to Dave Windauer (Shafer Silvertip Bows Bowyer) at Denton Hill one year.  He showed me his longbow set up this way and after using this same method on my set up, it shoots amazingly well, even at long range.  

Guess to answer your question in reverse, that's why I DON'T shoot off the shelf.  Steve

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
I try to shoot the few bows I am fortunate to glam onto from our traditional past the way they left the factory.

The ones with feather rests like Traps are indeed shooters and I seem to shoot THAT type of elevated (although some dont consider it so) a "bit" better but as in most things in traditional archery it is not ONLY about "making it the best possible".

I shoot off the shelf quite well and far and above "needed" for hunting accuracy at the ranges I shoot and have to say I agree with the simplicity and dependability for hunting.

Off a NEW bow, shoot as you wish, for me its mostly about tradition and repect for the bowyer of decades past and a rememberance of hunting methods then.

I shoot them as close to original condition as I can. It's not odd to find a time era accurately made or an original arrow from that same time blessing my quiver out hunting as well.

Both work, enough said from me on that.

God Bless
Slowbowke
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
I always had trouble with arrows coming off the rest, or being really noisy on my arrow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©