3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What socks do you recommend????  (Read 454 times)

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
What socks do you recommend????
« on: September 01, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
What socks do you recommend for long days of walking, while elk hunting out west?
Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Traditionalist have more fun!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What socks do you recommend????
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
SmartWool
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
I like lightweight merino
David M. Conroy

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
I have yet to go elk hunting, but I'm on my feet all day everyday, and I wear Bass Pro's marino wool socks that come with a lifetime warranty.  I wear either Irish Setter boots or Red Wing Boots with them 6-7 days a week, and 10 hrs a day.

With cotton socks, my feet get drenched with sweat, and rubbed raw.  with my wool socks, my feet have never been happier.  Take today for instance, it was 94 degrees out and I never once thought my feet were miserable in heavy wool socks, and thick leather boots.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
A couple years ago when getting ready for an elk hunt I was carrying a weighted pack and walking as fast as I can walk before breaking into a jog. I was wearing cotton socks as it was August. After 4 miles my feet were getting hot spots. I changed to Under Armour merino wool socks. Immediately the hot spots went away. The wool wicks so well it was like flippng on a light switch. I now have changed to Browning merino wool socks. I always try to get the highest wool content I can. The only reason I changed from UA socks is they quit making the particular type I was buying.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
Lightweight merino.

And an extra pair in the pack.

I do not like the thick "hiker" versions at all. Too bulky for my taste.

I also have a very thin pair of liners. but only  use them when its cold.
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Green Mountain Boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
I like smartwool too, but I have big feet (13) and their size extra large doesnt quite fit leading to the socks wearing out sooner than they should. A company here in VT started a few years ago will give any proformance sock a run for it's money. They are called Darn Tough and they come with a lifetime warranty, though I've never needed to explore what that means, because none of my many pairs have worn out.
That's why they call it hunting....

No Name 50# at 28" (maybe Ben Pearson)
'69 Bear Grizzly 40# at 28"
Great Plains Wolf Creek  50# at 28" one piece
Fruit of the Loom Size Large

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
OK guys, Now you got me wondering, too, if I may?

Are these 100% marino or a certain minimum __% blend with other non-wool fibers you prefer?

My cousin raises sheep, shears them, and sells the wool for a sockmaker?  They're a thicker sock, but like Mike Vines' experience, work great in leather boots even in the summer's upper 90*s.

But I don't know what % wool they are - I need to ask, but absolutely NO foot problems using them in several leather work boots - John Deere, Wolverine, etc.
CoilSpring

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
Smart wool all the way. They are kinda pricy, but well worth it, IMO. Costco sells merino wool socks that are close, but a lot less money. I like those, too.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
Merino wool in the thickness that fits your boots. I also like merino liners underneath. Smart wool sells nice liners also.

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 12:08:00 AM »
I love merino wool, and when the thickness is right for the boots, it is also my choice.  But, I've got bad feet(flat arches, hammertoes, weakened tendons, that all will require surgury some year soon....when I can't stand walking on them any longer!)  I have a devil of a time finding boots that fit BOTH of my feet comfortably.  For me, sock VOLUME is the key to getting through a long day in the high country.  Some boots require a thick wool sock, sometimes a poly liner or thin wool inside another wool sock.  I have a lot of wool sox in various thicknesses and use different insoles and othotics to make my feet feel right in the boots that I have.  

All mountain game spend their days walking around on vertical slopes. You will too, and with lots of sidehills. You may think your boots fit great and are broken in well.  But if your feet can move around inside them too much, you could be miserable and almost hobbled by the third day. I want my feet to fit snugly inside the correct boot, and -for me-a major factor is adjusting sock volume to the boot.  Note: I also use several pairs of boots on most hunts and switch them every day or so.....so, more sock changes to adjust.(I know, if you're horse- or back-packing, one pair of boots is the rule....then, you just have to live with whatever you've got.)

Good luck and good hunting.
Tom

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 12:10:00 AM »
smartwool is expensive but its the best I found
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Online Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 12:20:00 AM »
I love my Smartwool socks.  I have 3 pairs that I bought in 2003 and they are just now wearing thin in the heel area.  I only wear them hunting, but I wear them no matter if it's 80 degrees on October 1st or 14 degrees January 3rd.  Either way they are comfy.  Of course, I switch from my non-insulated Meindl boots to my insulated Schnee Pac boots, but the socks are the same all of hunting season.
-Jameson

Membership Secretary
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Online Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
Green Mountain Boy, I just checked out those Darn Tough socks.  Definitely might be worth trying!  Thanks for the info.
-Jameson

Membership Secretary

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 01:11:00 AM »
I have 4 pair of smartwool.  They are the only socks i wear during hunting season.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 01:30:00 AM »
I wear wool socks year round out here.  When I hunt, go roving and shooting or scouting, I use a thin polypropylene sock inside wool socks.  This will prevent hot spots and blistering while you are doing up hill / down hill walking.  Like olbohntr stated, you will need to fit the socks to your boots to limit movement.  I carry a spare pair of polypropylene liner socks in my pack as a minimum for changes if sweaty and in the really cold will usually have extra wool socks with me.  Being hobbled because of poor fit, blisters or hot spot irritation or sweat because of steep terrain will keep a miserable man in camp instead of hunting.  Good hunting!   :thumbsup:
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 06:17:00 AM »
I have been wearing Wigwam socks for years.  They are not a expensive as Smartwool.  I do own some Smartwool and it is nice too.  I also wear Wigwam liners too.  I wear these socks and liners all year long, no matter what I am doing.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 07:13:00 AM »
Darn Tough

Boot socks: cushion or full cushion depending on how your boots fit.

American made socks made of merino wool. I also like their cool max versions in the summer.

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 07:23:00 AM »
Thorlo wool socks.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 07:55:00 AM »
I wear smartwool all year long there are two brands I wear Thorlos and Foxriver. I get mine from the The Sock Company.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©