3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody shoot using only one arm?  (Read 512 times)

Offline kbaamigo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody shoot using only one arm?
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
Chad,
I am on the board of the Physically Disabled Bowhunters of America and this is the guy to call. Drew McCartney helped found the organization and shoots with a mouth tab. He is a one of my best friends and will help you out. His phone # is (785) 735-4230. Call him.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
This didn't take long...lol

I used two of my lightest weight bows.

One was my JC Penny long-curve made by Wing Archery 45@28 and my proto-type Korean bow 47@28 with carbon limbs covered with Birch bark.(This bow weighs 13.8 oz with the string.)

These are my 1st arrows shot at ten yards.

No, it isn't an awesome group but I am now confident that with a little practice I could be deadly out to maybe 15 yards.

God bless,Mudd

PS: Holm-Made I'd say go for it! I am positive that you will be confident enough to take your son out and hunt with some practice.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
I am so convinced that now I am going to try this with my Hill style Osage Royale since it is my lowest draw weight Hill style bow at 52@28.

God bless,Mudd
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
Better be careful Roy, if you loose your teeth you'll have to go to eating mush...or even GRITS as a regular diet ..    :scared:  

:biglaugh:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »
I am positive this isn't rocket science or brain surgery.

Here are some pictures of my group shot with my Osage Royale at ten yards.

God bless,Mudd
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by steadman:
Good luck Chad, I would be using a mouth tab as well. I think you can do it with little problem, it's not like you have never shot a bow before. Good luck and let me know if I can help in anyway!
Agreed.  I saw a guy at the High Country Shoot doing it right handed at about 12 yards and he was within a paper plate easy.  I did't observe his setup really close but it did not appear to difficult.  

Besides you would have some advantages...he only had one arm and so knocking an arrow and holding the bow was a challange, but for you, that would be a cinch with the use of both arms.  Also it looked like he was really able to sight down the arrow very well as it allowed him to look down the center of the bow and arrow kinda like a slingshot.

Go for it Chad, I bet you will surprise yourself!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline bryan r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
Good shooting, Mudd! I could see great consistency with a little practice and a solid anchor point like that.

Do it, Chad, just don't forget the pictures.    :thumbsup:

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »
There is a gentleman in our local area here that shoota a compound that way, he only has one arm, and shoots out of a wheelchair. The guy is deadly accurate. He is a real inspiration to watch. With practice I bet you can be very consistant with it--good shooting.

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
On Kentucky Educational TV, there is a fellow (Last name is Farmer) who hosts a hunting/fishing show called Kentucky Afield.  He apparently has only one arm but shoots a bow using a tab of some sort which is attached to the string and he pulls it with his teeth---he is pretty darned good with that thing too.

It looks to me like a piece of lether which is doubled around the string and perhaps sewn there.  He bites down on the tab, then pushes the bow away from himself out to full draw, and when he is on target, he simply releases.  I don't remember if he uses asight or not.

He shoots a shotgun with his left arm only----but he actually mounts it to his right shoulder and his left arm is across his body.  Looks awkward as heck to me, but again, he is a darned good shot.  He doesn't let his handicap hold him back at all.

Joe

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
Chad I went throuh some physical therapy for shoulder issues this spring. There was a pic in the therapists ofice of a guy with a leather tab in his mouth at draw next to a doe he shot. I dont know but Mudd looks like he has it figured out. Good shooting Mudd. Good luck Chad I feel for you.
Scott Teaschner
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline bsoper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
Wow, amazing stuff Mudd! Good luck Chad!
~Brock

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »
Just remember to keep proper neck tension!!!?

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
So Chad, sounds like when you get set up and practiced up and stick that deer with your son their using a mouth tab and one arm, humm, I see a TBM artical in the future.

On a side note: Talk about a leson in determination for your son to learn. Good for you and go for it.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
The Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America Inc.  

pcba-inc.org

I Started the Original PCBA back in the 80's. Theses Guys took it to a greater level. Get ahold of them. Jeff
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
I took out a few that shot with one arm. One Guy fron Cleveland shot with his mouth. the crossbow was mounted on wheelchair. he was a "Quad" with very limited movement,,,so as I see it anyone can stay in bowhunting if they have the will !
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
Chad:

I have a friend that had bowhunted for decades and had a massive stroke that paralyzed his right arm.  He uses a leather mouth tab.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
I found a very easy way to make a leather tab and it works great.

Cut out a piece of leather about 4 inches long in a round tailed comet shape then make a slit near the head of the comet.

Put the leather across the string then draw the tail of the comet through it's head and you're done.

God bless,Mudd

PS: I shot my "Old Tom" with it quite a bit this afternoon once it started to cool down some.  It is also easy to remove.
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
Thanks for all the support and good ideas.  This afternoon I got a hold of a lefty compound and shot about 80 arrows with a mouth tab I made.  It was pretty easy with the let off and all.  I started at 31#, then went to 37# and finally 40#.  I will work my way up into the 50s to get my neck and teeth in shape, then start with a lightweight recurve.  

I'm able to use my left hand to assist in the draw as long as I keep my elbow low so strength really wasn't an issue.  The stickbow will take alot more practice but I guess we all know that already, right!

Thanks so much,  Chad

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
Good luck Chad, it will sure make for a memorable season!

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2011, 07:02:00 AM »
Chad, way to hang in there, that is why the last 2 bows I bought from you were lightweights, I avoided your very situation. After shooting with Jake at ETAR maybe you could let him do the shooting and you can run the camera.  :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©