3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunters Point Guide Service  (Read 990 times)

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunters Point Guide Service
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2011, 06:34:00 AM »
George and myself hit the road about 4:30 this morning. Should be there by Sunday.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2011, 07:43:00 AM »
Tradbowr and I will be leaving in the morning about 3 AM will be there Sunday sometime. We are really looking forward to this hunt. This will be our first bear hunt and we have never seen a bear in the wild so it should be a wild time.
Howard
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
One of my good friends from Switzerland called last night and he killed  his first beat....heart shot....35 yard recovery. Will post pics when I get them. He used a DAS Dalla riser, 55# Border limbs, Beman classics....400 with Razorcap head.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
Bill, give Tom a big congratulations from me--I remember meeting Tom.   :thumbsup:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
Here's the pic.

David: Tom is coming down to NH to stay with us tomorrow night. He made one request...fire up the grill and let's cook some backstraps.

Offline Black Cloud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
Bill, Please let Tom know that I am really very happy for him, Congrats!

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2011, 05:40:00 PM »
I just got an email from him: Here's the story in his own words.

"That's right. You can't imagine how happy I'm am (or maybe yes, you have probably quite a good idea). I was busy with posting pictures on Facebook yesterday night and this morning.

Actually yesterday was an incredibly beautiful day, warm, sunny, almost no wind. It fully compensated my 3.5 hours under the pouring rain on monday. I went into the stand by 3pm. Towards 6.20pm I started to hear a bear coming in. The place was very open, good light, perfect silence. A beautiful bear (actually a dry sow) came in from the left (about 130-150# live weight), I could see he had a nice hide from a distance. He sniffed around a little bit, then went into the barrel, grabbed a huge piece of donut and backed off. This is when I fired my first arrow and somehow I was too excited to be able to concentrate on spot on this bear. I don't how often I had visualized mentally taking my spot just below the center of the bear, drawing, aiming... But I just saw the bear, totally unable to concentrate and I completely missed my shot. The arrow flew right into the ground beneath the bear. I was angry about myself because I knew I was able to make a perfect shot and missed that completely. When the arrow hit the ground, the bear dropped the donut an ran off. 30 seconds later she was back, grabbed the donut and walked off to eat eat it out of sight. Barely 3 minutes later, here the bear comes back. My arrow was burried into the earth excepted for the fletching. The bear started to sniff the fletching and I thought, now it's probably over. I was wrong, the bear didn't seem to care and came back into the barrel, picked up another piece of donut, backed out of the barrel and here comes the second arrow. This time a could gather myself and aim precisely. I saw the arrow sticking into the bear's left side almost down to the fletching. It was a nice quartering away shot. Jimmy had positioned the barrel just perfectly. The bear took off immediately; only 20 seconds later I could hear a long, but clear and fading death moan. I was almost 95% that everything was ok. After 10 minutes, I packed my stuff, went down to the barrel, grabbed my first arrow and walked out to the road as quietly as possible. 10 minutes later Eldon and Correy (I guy from Texas who shot a bear on tuesday) drove by and we went back to track it. I had good blood but the trail was a bit difficult to follow. I started to get a bit nervous when we found no more blood anymore. But then Eldon turned around and there was my bear. He barely made 30 yards.  The arrow was still in the bear sticking out on both sides. Double lung shot, dead center through the heart; a shot which only exists in one's dreams."

Ken....I will do that. I noticed that your pics just arrived. Would you like me to post them for you?

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
Here is Black Cloud and his wife, Rosita, (she ALWAYS cooks Ken a full dinner with desert while he's out hunting) posing with his bear.

We need a story, Ken.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
Good stuff, Bill, good stuff!
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Black Cloud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
The first week of bear season at Eldon's was considered slow by many of the hunters. Maybe a natural food source was the issue. I for one only saw one medium size bear (150lbs) in four nights of hunting. However, on the fifth night at 6pm the pictured bear walked into the stand site and after hearing reports from other hunters that some of the larger bears just took a look and moved off, I was ready and released the arrow at my first opportunity. The shot was a complete pass through and after 15 minutes I followed the blood trail for approximately 35 yards to his final resting spot. I placed a red glow stick in a branch over the bear. My wife, Eldon and I returned later that night for pictures. The next day I gave my wife a break from cooking and we had a nice meal at Deans.Can't wait for next year!

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
Tom and Black Cloud
   Congrats on the bears, doesnt get any better than a successfull hunt.  :thumbsup:    :clapper:
"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »
Two thirds of the trip down. Hopefully be there tonight.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
Just checked the 10 day forecast. A liittle bumpy in mid week but mostly cool and clear. Should be a good week. Take lots of pics.

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
Will do

Offline JuraRanger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
Bill, you must have felt it on Sept. 8th, when you wrote your message by 18.30; my adrenaline level was right at the top at this very moment.

I will remember this day for ever. It might sound kind of weird to you guys, but where I come from (Switzerland), there is no bow hunting and I was already over my forties when I first started to shoot a bow, made my hunting education and went through bow hunting training in France.

During my first hunting trip to PA, I made an unexpected very close encounter with a sow and two cubs on the ground, which almost scared me to death. Very scary experience, but soooo fascinating at the same time that I decided to try it rather with bear than deer.

This bear was my first game ever and you can probably hardly imagine what this means for :-)

So good to have friends over here in the US. Bringing the meat back to Switzerland is almost impossible, but thanks to Bill and Laura's chef talents, I had to privilege to share the deliciously tasty "filets mignons" of bear at their home yesterday night.

It was so good seeing you again in Maine Black Cloud. Transmit my greetings to Rosita.

Tom

PS: Faithful to Thoreau's quote below, I haven't written much about bow hunting in the past, but I guess I'll feel more free do to so now.
"How vain is it to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live" H.D. Thoreau

JuraRanger

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »
Really glad for you Thomas!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
Sounds and seems like a great place to be right now hunting:)
Thanks Bill for providing us with nice pics   :thumbsup:    :archer:
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
Last week was a "bad" one. Only 3 bears taken.  However, as of Friday, when Tom took his bear to the checking station, the only bears checked in all week were from Eldon. To me that is amazing because about every mile on Rte.11 there is an outfitter. Bear activity is minimal  everywhere but Eldon is the only outfitter getting anything. I talked with Eldon this morning and he said he had 8 Tradgangers up there this week. Let's wish them well

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
Arrived home from Eldons place late last night didn't kill a bear but had a great time. My brother scored on a nice bear and we all saw some can't wait to get back up.

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
Any more updates on how the rest of the bear season is going at Eldon's?
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©