3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Action Camera  (Read 418 times)

Offline Ladams

• Trad Bowhunter
Action Camera
« on: September 02, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
How Many of you use a small action cam strapped to your bow or your hat to film a hunt, If so what cams do you recomend?
Soverign balistick 62"62#@28
Soverign balistick 62"60#@28
Krewson Snakey Osage 64" 52#@28
Seven lakes longbow 64" 59#@28
Moab 62"58#@28"
Big Jim thunderchild 58" 50@28"

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Action Camera
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
I don't have one but if I was going to buy one it would be the GoPro. HD, waterproof, shockproof and very small.

chris <><

Offline Ladams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
come on guys surley there are some of you that have filmed your hunts,I
would like to purchase a cam before season but I am having a tough time choosing the rite one.
Thanks
Moab 62"58#@28"

Offline Ladams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
Chris I too like the go pro but also like the contour hd, but cant find any info on how they preform in low light
Moab 62"58#@28"

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 04:56:00 AM »
I have the Contour HD. Great camera. Bit more compact then the Go Pro. I use mine strapped to my head. Low light footage is pretty good but like any camera (go pro included) with a small sensor, low light performance is not going to be optimized.

I have also just bought a 2X zoom lens for the Contour. Will see how that goes when it arrives.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
I have and like the go prd. the only problem I have with is the sound is not real clear
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
Here is my Epic cam mounted on a stabilizer on my Hoyt. It films alot better when mounted to something besides the bow. It is pretty loud and the aftershock is pretty annoying to watch but also kind of neat to see a shot from this perspective.

Offline Ladams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
I would love to here the results of the zoom lens,
thanks guys for the input,
Moab 62"58#@28"

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 03:57:00 AM »
I will let you know when it arrives.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
You can buy eyeglasses that act as a camcorder
Pretty decent videos.  The company is i Kam extreme and not that expensive.

Here is a link describing them

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
One problem you'll find is that it is difficult to keep them pointed where you want them to record.  

I put one on a head band to try and record.  For walking around footage, having it positioned between my ear and temple worked great.  But if I was shooting the bow, I had to have it clear back on the back left portion of my head.  So if I shot an animal I had to conciously remember to keep my head in it's "shooting position" in order to continue to get footage of the subject/target after the shot.

Then I built a leveling mount so I could attach it to the bow, but that produced poor results because of the vibration and movement upon release.  The mount didn't have any vibration reducing parts so that could possibly be improved.

Just realize before you buy one, that getting great footage (shot to impact)is difficult and will take some creativity.

I looked at iKam, but no one ever has their face square to the target so I don't know how someone could ever keep their subject centered.

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
I have this one for sale I know this is not the place to put this.  I figured if would get the most looks here.  Price is 50 dollars shipped records to an SD card.  I have hooked it to my bow and my gun before.  If interested please let me know by PM.

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by oxnam:
One problem you'll find is that it is difficult to keep them pointed where you want them to record.  

I put one on a head band to try and record.  For walking around footage, having it positioned between my ear and temple worked great.  But if I was shooting the bow, I had to have it clear back on the back left portion of my head.  So if I shot an animal I had to conciously remember to keep my head in it's "shooting position" in order to continue to get footage of the subject/target after the shot.

Then I built a leveling mount so I could attach it to the bow, but that produced poor results because of the vibration and

movement upon release.  The mount didn't have any vibration reducing parts so that could possibly be improved.

Just realize before you buy one, that getting great footage
(shot to impact)is difficult and will take some creativity.

I looked at iKam, but no one ever has their face square to the target so I don't know how someone could ever keep their
subject centered.
With the newer cameras like the Contour and Go Pro it is not too bad getting the shot as well as follow up footage. They have an extremly wide angle of view around about 120 to 130 degree.

My Contour HD has two lazers that I use to align the camera. I set if up with the bow in the shooting position so the lazers are pointing slightly right of the bow (right hand shooter, camera on Left side of head). This allows for good point of impact as well as good footage when stalking.
Fred Bear

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
Maybe pull all of our video footage and make a DVD
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
I had an Epic cam mounted on my bow for a little bit and absolutely hated the footage it gave me.  It was like watching The Blair Witch Project, really shaky and grainy.  I went to a small Panasonic camcorder that I mount on a tree arm and have been really happy with that instead.  Just my opinion, hope this helps.  TRW

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
If you follow the link below you will see a little footage I did first time out with the cam. In the second post click on VIMEO
  http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=75;t=000399
Fred Bear

Offline Onlyaspike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
can you take a pic of this camera while mounted on your headstrap? Is it awkward at all while shooting? I want some type of camera(i.e. Contour,GoPro,Playsport) to do a little self videoing this fall, and Im totally confused about which one to get. I like the Contour and GoPro because they'll allow a headmount to eliminate vibration during the shot. But I like the ease of use if it was mounted to the bow...The playsport has a 3x zoom and Ive seen it mounted with a "insane" mount and had little vibe. You could also use the zoom while mounted with your fingertip. Im more confused now then when I started looking......
Hoyt Gamemaster 2....APG Camo 45#

Offline White Falcon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
I use the Go Pro for hunting and Kayaking!

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
i just bought a midland xtc extreme action camara
from dunhams and have tried it out a couple of time from here on the porch shooting the bag with the bow . not to bad . it comes with a visor mount bow mount tree mount and one you can put on the handlebars of a bike .
it was 100.00 but also had a 30 dollor mail in rebate so not bad for 60 bucks and with a card willt ake two hours of sound and video. can't wait for season to open up to try it .

Scott

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 01:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by Onlyaspike:
can you take a pic of this camera while mounted on your headstrap? Is it awkward at all while shooting? I want some type of camera(i.e. Contour,GoPro,Playsport) to do a little self videoing this fall, and Im totally confused about which one to get. I like the Contour and GoPro because they'll allow a headmount to eliminate vibration during the shot. But I like the ease of use if it was mounted to the bow...The playsport has a 3x zoom and Ive seen it mounted with a "insane" mount and had little vibe. You could also use the zoom while mounted with your fingertip. Im more confused now then when I started looking......
The Contour is very easy to use while hunting especially with gloves on as the record button is a big slide button on top of the unit so no fiddling with small buttons etc. Here is a quick pic with me wearing it.

Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©