3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Large Sharpening Stone  (Read 394 times)

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
Large Sharpening Stone
« on: September 02, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »
Does anyone know where to obtain a wide sharpening stone? I use the ones I purchased from KME and they work great BUT I would love to get a wide one to sharpen up the long El Grandes. I was hoping to get a fine or extra fine.
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Large Sharpening Stone
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
How wide are you wanting?

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
i have a 4x10 diamond stone, but be prepared to drop some coin if you want one of those. I got it at a woodworker supply place on line.

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
4x10 is a good starting point...How much coin are we talking?
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by dave19113:
4x10 is a good starting point...How much coin are we talking?
keep me posted !!!
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline Greg Ray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
I use 3" x 8" x 1/2" Norton brand India benchstones I got from Sharpeningsupplies.com.  Paid around $50 for a set of 3:  Hard, medium and soft.  However, the fine grade translucent hard Arkansas of the same size cost about $90.  They handle a 160 grain STOS head very well and I use the KME sharpening guide.  Hope this helpd.==s.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
I use the DMT 3"X8" diamond hones which are about $53,depending on grit.I wrote a"how to" which is in the How To Resources on how I use them.

After using the diamond hones,I use successively finer grits of wet or dry sandpaper laid over the hone till I get a polished edge.

To be honest,you could use a flat piece of steel or plate glass with the paper to do the same thing.
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000115

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
Oh,Sharpening Supplies has that 4"X10",2 sided diamond for $110.(2 grits))

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
Okay,

As I've often said, everyone wants a big 'ol stone till they find out how much they cost...

Q. Suppose we were to offer the KME "Super-Tuff" Aluminum oxide stones in a larger size... Would 3x8 be adequate? I’m guessing that these would be around $30-$35 each. You guys know I won't put our name on anything less than top quality or sell anything that's not made in the USA and because of this, I'm pretty sure that would be a close retail price estimate. I don't know if they can even make us 4x10 stones but those would be very pricey.

Thoughts????

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
Ron, I think you would sell a bunch of the 3"x8" "super-tuffs". Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
I think that would be a good move Ron. A good bench stone is a handy tool to have at the ready. A quick touch up now and then will keep your cutting tools in good shape and the stone will prove to be a good investment for years to come. A sharp blade is a good blade in my opinion.
3x8 or maybe the 4x10 is my vote. A good STONE will last for years.

Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline pauljr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
Ive been looking a large stone, was thinking hard arkansas. Ron, how would the aluminum oxide rate vs the arkansas stone? That does seam like avery fair price for a long term investment.
PBS Associate Member

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it" Woodrow F Call

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »
I find the 3"x8" stones plenty big to do long strokes on the Grizzlies and know they would work well on Tuffheads and others.I doubt if we will ever see many broadheads longer.They would be great for standard sized heads as well.

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sharpster:
Okay,

As I've often said, everyone wants a big 'ol stone till they find out how much they cost...

Q. Suppose we were to offer the KME "Super-Tuff" Aluminum oxide stones in a larger size... Would 3x8 be adequate? I’m guessing that these would be around $30-$35 each. You guys know I won't put our name on anything less than top quality or sell anything that's not made in the USA and because of this, I'm pretty sure that would be a close retail price estimate. I don't know if they can even make us 4x10 stones but those would be very pricey.

Thoughts????

Ron
Yes!!!! Id buy em...3x8 is a good size
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline sticbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
i would love a 3x8 stone..to me that would be perfect..as long as i could get a med an fine

Offline vintage archer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
Ron I would like to see the 3x8 also.Perfect for high MA broadheads.
Joe Furlong

Online Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
Ron,If you bring in a 3x8 mark me down for one.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
Ron,

The 4"x10" would be nice, but I would definitely go for the 3"x8" stones if they were available.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »
I'd buy one for sure!!! It's nice to have that little extra room.
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
Couple of thoughts...I have found nothing better than Japanese water stones--the synthetic kind.

For most sharpening you can get away with a 600 and a 1,000 grit.  In 600 grit I like the Beston.  In 1,000 grit I use a King.  If you shop around you might be able to find a combination stone with two grits on either side.  japanwoodworker.com  is a good site for buying stones as well...

If you really want to do it right you need to flatten your stone from time to time.  I use a 120 grit DMT XXC diamond plate for that purpose.  If you use a stone repeatedly it will develop a dished out shape and its impossible to sharpen properly on a stone that isn't flat.  Not only that but you are actually wearing out the stone prematurely by not flattening it.

I leave most of my waterstones soaking in a bucket of water otherwise the need to soak for about 15 minutes before you can use them.   Also I use a very simple setup for sharpening with a stone holder I made out of common pine boards and a few deck screws in about 5 minutes.  The tub it sits on is a plastic bus bin from a restaurant supply store (~$12  a couple of those bins are also great for boning out a deer FWIW)

A good place to buy your stones is chefsknivestogo.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©