3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NH Bear Hunt-Come On Along  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
NH Bear Hunt-Come On Along
« on: September 02, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
NH's bear season opened yesterday, I figured since I was going to be hunting as much as I could you all might want to tag along.  I'll keep this updated each time I hunt and do my best to get some photos too.  You'll be along for the ups and downs, I am sure there will be plenty of both!

While I couldn't hunt yesterday, I did get up at dawn and go bait one of my sites while a buddy baited one further north. (In NH you can't bait until the first day of the season) This is the area I baited yesterday, the site is about 400 yards into the woods across the river, though I have to access it from another area, which means about 3/4 of a mile walk with 50-60 pounds of bait each trip.  Glad you came yet?  :)  

This is from our stand site, this bog is to our left as we face the bait, we are at the edge of a thick, wet spruce bog which is behind us......

And here is our bait from the stand, it is a long shot......maybe 9 yards....

And here is a closer photo of our "goodies"....

I did get to hunt today, I'll have more on that a little later....

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: NH Bear Hunt-Come On Along
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
I'm looking forward to this one.Keep them coming.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
One of the things I never get tired of in this area are the pair of adult eagles that live near the river, I love watching these birds.....

So today was the first day I could hunt.  I had everything prepped, bait packed, broadheads sharpened, thermacell ready to go.  The hunting area is about 23 miles from my house and takes me about thirty minutes to get there.  I was about 1/2 mile from where I park when I began to get this nagging feeling that I had forgotten something......I looked in the back seat and couldn't see arrows!!!!  Sure enough, I had everything I needed but arrows, and didn't have enough time to return home to get them and still hunt.  I wasn't happy, but since I was there and had bait I figured I might as well make the hike and rebait the site.  I got to the site and it had been hit already!!!  I have one picture of the rear of a bear as it left the bait, it seems that I had the camera aimed a little higher than it should be......oooops.  I reset the camera, rebaited and sat in the stand for about an hour and a half, it felt good just to be in the woods again.  I made my way home and found this just as I had left it......sitting on the hood of my unmarked cruiser......

Hopefully all of the bad happened today and good things are in store for us......

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
Keep them coming. Dang how much could 50 pounds of doughnuts weigh, they got holes in them! LOL I know one thing they'd be lighter by a few by the time I went 3/4's of a mile with them!
Glenn

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
Keep them coming man!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
Nice job. The pic of the eagle is incredible...I also hiked to the top of a ridge in Oregon, only to realize as I got in the stand...No arrows...I do not think it was a good idea for you to sit in your stand wo arrows. Its times like that when they come in and give you a perfect shot! Keep us posted on your hunt.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
working bait for bears is a bear. I tried that one year when I was in Alaska, cheap dog food and grease from the chow hall. In a 55 gallon drum chained to a tree. It worked well but just never got a shot at the bear using it. I spooked it off of the bait once. Love the hunt and thanks for sharing,
Kelly

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
great pictures.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
Dave,
 I hope you get to arrow a Waddler !!!!
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
:campfire:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
great pics good luck.     :archer:    5
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 07:11:00 AM »
Awesome pictures, my friend. I love NH. I don't hunt bear but, Lord willing, I will be in the woods opening day. Jawge

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 07:17:00 AM »
Dave,
 Like you I opened my (single) bait 9/1 and am looking forward to action. Thanks for sharing and best of luck. Todd
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 07:50:00 AM »
Great thread Dave. I like a little New England action on TG! As mentioned before, that Eagle picture is incredible. Did you take that from your stand? Good luck on your hunts.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by Coonbait:
Dang how much could 50 pounds of doughnuts weigh, they got holes in them! LOL I know one thing they'd be lighter by a few by the time I went 3/4's of a mile with them!
Glenn
:laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:

Good luck on the bear hunt!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 08:17:00 AM »
Dave:You and Birdbow need to close the deal. Up hear in Maine this week it has been slow. Only one trad guy got a bear....a nice one...200#.  Lots of small bears being seen. I had one come in Tues. but didn't shoot (could have)  but couldn't really tell how big (or small) he was. He just walked by the barrel and never gave me a chance to size him up. Lots of natural food up hear right now so it is slowing things down. Kind of makes me wish we had planned on the 3rd or 4th week when the berries will be gone. Just the fact that your bait was hit in one night bodes well. Just shoot straight.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
This will be fun, thanks David.  I'm surprised that a big bear didn't come in, since you were unarmed.  That would have been my kinda luck.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
This is going to be good.  :campfire:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
:campfire:     :coffee:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
Bill I am going to do the best I can, but I have high hopes as fas as putting one on the ground.

Jeff, I completely expected a monster to show up since I only had a camera with me!!!!

The eagle pic was taken along the river, but with a different camera, a Nikon SLR and a 70-200mm lens.

I will be back at it either tomorrow afternoon or Monday.  Here is a teaser from our second bait site last year to keep you interested between now and then........

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©