3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: learned a hard lesson  (Read 422 times)

Offline pj starrett

• Trad Bowhunter
learned a hard lesson
« on: September 02, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
well today i learned a hard but valuable lesson.  I recently purchased some used arrows on here and this is not by any means negative about the arrows i received or the satisfaction that i got from getting these arrows.  this is just to hopefully prevent someone else from experiencing to them what happened to me.  today was the first day i had to shoot any of these arrows so i i grapped 3 of them and carried them outside to see if they shot like the ones i already have.  i looked over the arrows (i thought) good enough.  The very first shot, when i released the arrow it sounded like a shot gun when off and the arrow flew about 3 footat about 25fps.  i was like, wth?  upon picking the arrow up i noticed half the nock was gone.  i instantly realized the nock must have gave way at the shot and i had just dry fired my bow.  upon looking down at my bow in my hand i saw the bottom limb was split apart for 4 inches below the bow nock and the string was inside that split.  the top limb split about an inch.  i wish i would have inspected the nock a litte better.  that was a hard lesson learned but a valuable lesson.  this bow was only 4 yrs old and had not been shot alot and it wasnt a take down so i guess its just a wall hanger now.  thanks and again, i am not blaming anyone, just a word to make sure even with new arrows that you check your equipment.  i will continue to buy arrows from here with out hesitation.

Offline Bill Shepard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: learned a hard lesson
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Good reminder to check your equipment.  Nocks are something that can easily be overlooked.  Sorry to hear about your bow.    :(   I'm real glad you didn't get hurt.
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
What type of nock? I'm thinking of changing out my gt's nocks because of the recent problems.

Also, If you need a bow for season shoot me a PM.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
That stinks! But at least you were not hurt!
Glenn

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
I like Gold Tip arrows just fine but like others here have had problems with the nocks breaking. Just a while ago at John's (South Ms. Bowhunters), I had one blowout on release and fortunately no harm to my bow.Sorry for your misfortune. It would seem what we pay for nocks we could expect better quality.I prefer Beman nocks but the Bowhunter arrows dont cut it with me.

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
i had a goldtip nock explode upon release this spring
the first thing i done was check the bow over
and fortunaty no damage
my nose didnt fair as well. a piece of the nock was imbedded in the side of my nose
lesson learned
when in doubt scrap em out and replace with new ones
kevin

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 11:55:00 PM »
Yea just seeing this thread and Kirk aka "Possum head"  had that very same experience today at my house as he stated. What he didn't tell you was that that bow leaped out of his hand about 10" and landed on the bottom limb tip (in soft mud due to the storm, "Lee") and i was standing behind him to see his arrow at the shot   :scared:   No damage to the bow but not so sure of me or him lol.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
Good thread. I got a bunch of GT arrows, but have never had problems with my nocks though.  I just traded a fella for a dozen GT shafts, I'm gonna check those nocks when I get them next week. BTW, I have a handful of clear green, clear orange, and puke yellow GT nocks.  I almost always use the plain white ones. The clear green ones are the only ones I have broken, just a couple, thankfully no dry fires.  The white ones seem to be pretty tough for me, even while stumpin'.
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 12:31:00 AM »
That just sucks, PJ!!!!!!! Well now you got an excuse to go out and get another bow.

Bisch

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 01:56:00 AM »
Nocks will get hard and brittle with age.. Always a good idea to re-nock used arrows before shooting them
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 06:06:00 AM »
Was your problem with GT nocks? I'm having breakage problems as well.

Especially the white ones.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
Have had real issues with Double Lock nocks in the past. The lime green ones would break at the drop of a hat. No issues with the other colors. Others I have talked to and have read about have had issues with the green color from different companies. My bud has a long list of credentials including Level 4 NAA National Coach and NFAA Master Coach has had issues with green fletch.

I have written to companies in the past concerning this issue and suspect that the green pigment is detrimentally effecting the mechanical properties.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
This is interesting as Friend says he suspects a pigment issue, I did as well however I,like Bud B. have had consistent problems with white ones.This is in contrast to Reaper Tn's results.I mentioned earlier that my Beman nocks held up for me these are orange and after thousands of shots,no blow-outs.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
Bummer. I had big trouble w/green nocks (* not sure make/model) I bought off FleaB-- & finally gave them away (near 600). Last thing I ever bought there 5 years ago.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Online kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
Sounds like I joined the ranks last week.

I was shooting with a friend in my back yard, when he said he wanted to shoot my bow.  No  problem. So I asked about shooting his.  Mind you, he was shooting the bow with the same arrows earlier.
I drew back his arrow, and upon release the nock blew apart in two pieces.  Luckily no damage, to the bow or me.
The nock was white for what it is worth; and I don't know the brand.

It sure does wake you up in a hurry.
Ken Thornhill

Offline pj starrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
this was a clear green nock...bisch, i aint got no money....lol  still got my longbow i killed my 3 bucks with last year, but was looking forward to getting one with that recurve.

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
I mostly shoot the white nocks, but have never had a problem personnally with any of the Gold tip nocks (mostly what I shoot). Now I seldom have an arrow last an entire year before I loose it. I shoot them out of low to mid 80lb bows and the nocks are the same no matter what size arrow.

Now if you if you are a stump shooter, I would suggest that you regulary replace nocks no matter who makes them. That is a cheap precaution to save  your bow.
Bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
Ouch, sorry to hear it, but appreciate the heads up. I'll be checking mine.
David M. Conroy

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
I've never had a nock break on me, except when I occasionally shoot an arrow too close to one already in the target.  I've shot Beman, GT, Hoyt ST Epic and Grizzlystik Sitka arrows.  I'm presently shooting the Sitka arrows out of my 62", 45#@28" Bill Stewart MCTD T/D recurve.  They fly like darts and hit like a sledge hammer.  Fortunately, no broken nocks to date.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
Jim,

Every single one of the green nocks that came on my GT blems broke while shooting. The Carbon Express Predators that I bought from you, not had a single problem with the shafts or the nocks.

I'd sure be careful with those green nocks fellas, they're not good.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©