3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: learned a hard lesson  (Read 421 times)

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: learned a hard lesson
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
I have a lifetime supply of old Mercury index nocks, the good ones, in white and yellow for my wood arrows. I've had a couple of white ones break when shot, but they were old and had discolored. I think sunlight coming through the window deteriorated them, but yellow nocked arrows stored in the same place have never failed. My bows have not been damaged, fortunately. I renocked the arrows with discolored nocks with more from the same batch that had been stored in a cabinet, and they're fine.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
Guys,
  This sounds more like a Molding issue to me ...I used to mold plastics and if material wasn't virgin and molded to the specs it needed to be it could cause plastics to do all kind of funny stuff...Different material had different heating temps to melt the pellets to mold the plastic and the cooling time with the correct pressure applyed could do some weird things to whatever's being molded...Now if it's a material that can be regrinded and remelted that also could cause a problem as well...I would think the quality control should catch those type of errors but when pushed by a Co. to get products sent out things can be over looked...Just my 2 cents worth...  :dunno:

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jeff Roark:
Jim,

Every single one of the green nocks that came on my GT blems broke while shooting. The Carbon Express Predators that I bought from you, not had a single problem with the shafts or the nocks.

I'd sure be careful with those green nocks fellas, they're not good.
I have not had any luck either with the green GoldTip nocks.  I have broke almost everyone that I have shot also.  I just replace them.  These were from a local bowshop.  I warned the shop, they just told me they have heard there were problems.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline AdAstraAiroh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »
In a set of 12 new GT 55/75 Trads with black GT nocks shot out of a 58# longbow,4 nocks broke square off at the base of the arrow, and two others cracked one side off, all within the first twenty shots of each arrow.  I replaced them with the original Easton Super Nocks (not the 3D model, as they are smaller and less substantial) and no breakage at all after thousands of shots. I am sure that the current GT nocks have a material or design issue.

Mark

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
Yup that hurts,I have dried fired many bows for various reasons, nocks, just a slip on my part and several others but I have never had a bow blow. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
I don't shoot them but have any of you called the co. that made them? They need to see this post and recall those nocks cause there's an issue that could really cause serious injury to someone or even more...I couldn't let a damaged bow just go if I had a good feeling it was a nock issue and not from something I did wrong...They have a quality issue that could be in the molding process that needs to be checked out... We used to use this clear plastic material called Zytel 101 if I remember correctly and if not molded right it caused cracks,streaks and could easily break if not cooled correctly...Keefer's <><

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
I have had the white CE nocks that fit the Heritage 75 and 90s shear where they meet the shaft.  Real scarey situation when they fly apart.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©