3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need some advice shooting a Hill bow  (Read 352 times)

Offline david janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
Need some advice shooting a Hill bow
« on: September 02, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
Well I am purchasing a Hill Wesley Special soon and would like some advice learning how to shoot it.Proper grip on the bow,canting,stance,etc..

I have never shot one before and am looking foward to trying one out.

Thanks to all for your advice,

David
David Janssen

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need some advice shooting a Hill bow
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
Have you been following the hill thread. I think it's almost up to 300 pages, lots of good info there.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
David, I shoot mine pretty much the same as any bow I shoot regardless of bow style. I cant my bow slightly , and hold with a firm but not vice like grip , with a slightly open stance .
A good dvd is John Schulz Hittin' Like Howard Hill [ one of my favorites  ... but I'm more partial to MBB V111.

Stick with it for a while  and use a at least 10gpp and you'll find it becomes a very sweet , forgiving bow to shoot.
A good string , low stretch material goes a long way to tame the bump some feel at the shot. Having said that I still often shoot 9gpp with dacron strings ... and sometimes 12gpp with lowstretch strings [ and vice versa ] ...  and they all work.

As you have probably noticed there are a bunch of us who shoot them more than any other bows in our stables

Most importantly , when the bow gets here ... post pics !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
Any (normal archery / bowhunting) stance should do the trick, and a fellow ought to be able to shoot from a few different, likely-scenario hunting stances. The grip is the main issue for people, and there is lots of good information in that big Hill thread. Not everyone grips the bow the same, though. I don't think about canting any bow, as I just hold it on the angle that feels right, that it wants to be held on.

Here's my grip; others might disagree, and it could well do with some tweaking, but it seems to work for me:

TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
don't try and get by with a light arrow 10gpp+ is where the bow shines.  If you do get bumped its you not the bow you were probably holding it wrong.  Also your draw will be shorter than with a recurve due to the low heel grip.  Contact Sunsethill on here he has some great videos that explain alot.
Warning these bows are addictive and will make all of your other bows seem as loud as a cannon.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
I have shot about 9gpp, and it was fine. That was with 670 grains of Douglas fir out of about 75 pounds (or a little more) of Wesley Special.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
Nice looking bow, Ben. Even if it is with the wrong hand.

Offline giff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
use a heavy arrow and an open stance

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
If you find a copy of John Schulz's book, "Straight Shooting", buy it. His paperback, and instructional DVD with the same title, "Hitting Them Like Howard Hill", will explain it in detail. Also, David Miller, Miller Longbow  has his own book, available on his website.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
Get a 2X4, put a string on it and stand next to the side of a barn to practice!  :bigsmyl:  I wish I could shoot one but I have NEVER been able to make it work for me. I hope it works for you because there are a lot of guys that shoot them, and shoot them well. Looks like fun!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
I envy the guys who like to shoot HH style bows. Like some women I know, the HH bows don't seem to like me, but they sure have that beautiful, classic look to them.   :bigsmyl:  

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
1) Hang on like your life depends on it.

2) Buy a good armguard.

3) Hire a good dentist.

4) Take off your glasses.

5) Don't try & shoot it like any 'other' bow. Apparently Hill style bows are 'special' & require you to shoot them 'differently'

The severe, arm jarring, filling loosening, eye blurring handshock you experience is nothing to do with any flaws in the design, it's because you're doing it wrong.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »
Notice Ben's straight handle grip. Not to say you need to slip & slide all over the grip; but, that you will quickly form a constant go to effort of holding the bow. This is one of the premiere advantages of a straight handle. Quick to learn & trust confidence in a straight or slight dish grip IMO! Also, don't expect your Hill to shoot like a recurve. Welcome Hillbro.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 12:10:00 AM »
What Buddy Bell says ,, I've been through em all, dont think too much on it, grab it & shoot it, you'll know how to grip it in a matter of time, don't buy into all the Hype of all the Negatives you read ... Some can shoot em, Most want to ... Welcome to "True Longbows" ... Very Nice Pic's Ben ...

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
find the tread about grip very important google sunset hill get a 40 lb hill bow to start then find a coach seriously its a steep learning curve for most of us john shultz would have never become the archer he is without hills help a good coach will keep you from practicing your mistakes bob wesley put me on the right path.the longbow is the hardest to get good with imho
Arrow_Flynn

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 01:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by robtattoo:

2) Buy a good armguard.

3) Hire a good dentist.

5) Don't try & shoot it like any 'other' bow. Apparently Hill style bows are 'special' & require you to shoot them 'differently'

The severe, arm jarring, filling loosening, eye blurring handshock you experience is nothing to do with any flaws in the design, it's because you're doing it wrong[/b
A tad harsh maybe ? lol
I don't know of any  bows that get openly criticized so often as Ol Howard's
Liking or dislikling them and expressing an opinion is one thing , and luckily as a convict from the colonies I understand the humour     ;)     ... maybe some won't ....    :saywhat:    
Harsh man .....
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Dodger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 01:22:00 AM »
Don't know about you Ben but I had a good chuckle at Rob's tongue in cheek reply.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 02:47:00 AM »
Rob doesn't much care for two of my favourite bows (Hills and Widows), but he's a good bloke nevertheless.   :goldtooth:  

Saying that a Hill has a design flaw is like saying that the bows of the ancients had design flaws. Well, sure, our modern bows are faster, smoother, easier-to-use. But the next step in that logic is saying that even Rob's favourite recurve has a design flaw, and that he should get a compound instead. And the next step in that logic is to say that even the wheely bows have design flaws, and we should only shoot and hunt with rifles.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 03:26:00 AM »
i always appreciate Rob's honesty in all things    :thumbsup:    ... tongue in cheek and all ...    

But he doesn't care for Widow's  OR  Hills ?

Heresy I say !     :laughing:

I Notice all the lads from the Colonies responding .....
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 05:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by robtattoo:

2) Buy a good armguard.

3) Hire a good dentist.

The severe, arm jarring, filling loosening, eye blurring handshock you experience is nothing to do with any flaws in the design, it's because you're doing it wrong.
:scared:

rob's right, of course.  hill style american flat longbows aren't for everyone.  only manly men need apply.  we who love and shoot them are a special breed.  we've learnt to put up with their quirks, foibles and abnormalities and reap heaps of aesthetic charm and kudos in return.  i think.  mmmm, yep - that's it, for sure.  

"yes dear, i'll be right there."  

sorry, gotta go get my meds now .....      :dunno:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©