3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: skinny strings and silencers falling out - hlp  (Read 214 times)

Offline Matt Green

• Trad Bowhunter
skinny strings and silencers falling out - hlp
« on: September 03, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
have never had trouble with silencers coming out 'til i started shooting strings with fewer strands. I typically use wool silencers - have cut them and looped them around half the strings of hte bow string - they stay OK - but still see pieces being ej3ected one each shot.
ANY ONE HAVE CREATIVE SUGGESTTIONS FOR KEEPING SILENCERS IN - ESP IN SKINNIER STRINGS???
thx in advance
"If God didn't make an outside, I wouldn't have fun." Summer - my 4 year old daughter

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: skinny strings and silencers falling out - hlp
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
Tie them on.  There was Tutorial on how to do it here a couple of days back.

One question, doesn't putting extra weight on a skinny string defeat the whole idea of using one: less weight?
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
The wool strands will keep coming out for the first few shots and settle down. It depends on the number of twists, the finish on the silencers-some wool is slippery and some sticky, and whether or not you unstring your bow.

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
put them through the string and then tie them on with thread. I use the BDS strings and never had a problem with my wool silencers coming off.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline Matt Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
Tieing them on has helped - maybe they do just need to 'settle'. Anohter question: Would the hush puppies be more apt to stay in?? Also on the ? re: negating effects of skinny strings w/silencers: My thoughts: if the skinny string adds 5'/sec and the wool slows it down 5'/sec, its a wash -vs. if the wool slows a typical string donw 5'/sec..... the winner: skinny string. My expereince is the skinny's MAY add a bit of speed but the biggest advantage is they are quieter. Thanks for responses.
mg
"If God didn't make an outside, I wouldn't have fun." Summer - my 4 year old daughter

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
Are you using 100% wool yarn? I found that the acrylic yarns will not hold together.

I went to a local yarn store and told the ladies what I was using the yarn for and asked for suggestions. They said I need a good "felting" yarn. This is evidently code word of some kind in the knitting world for "good string silencer material", because what they sold me works great!

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
Like A.S. said, It has to be 100% wool. I bought mine at a Amish material store. One bundle of wool yarn will last you a life time. I winded 8 times around four fingers and then tie it in the middle. Use the ends then to tie it to your bow string. For me it's not all about speed. The skinny string on my bow really makes the bow quite.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
I use fisherman's wool yarn, and the only time I have to tie them in is when my string has a minimal number of twist.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
I usually tie a small knot of dental floss on either side of mine just to hold them in while the bow is unstrung. Once you shoot them and they puff out, they won't go anywhere.

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
Use stringwax on the string, split the string with equal strands put the silencer in. Then tie in a knot on every side of the silencer, and let it rest 24 hours before starting the shooting. Push the knots good into the silencer and nothing will fall off after you have shot in the silencer:)
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
I make sure I wax the individual strands of my string up real good before putting the wool laced through the string as you have mentioned. Also I had a 450+ string that I had to tie of the silencers with dental floss, waxing was not enough it just kept falling out with every shot.

Good luck ...
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©