3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Beginner with Recurve  (Read 224 times)

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
Beginner with Recurve
« on: September 03, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »
I recently purchased a Hoyt GameMaster TD Recurve. It's not wood but I wasn't interested in buying online at the moment as I just wanted to get the the bow and start practicing my instinctive shooting.

I have a Hurricane Bag target.

My questions are as follows (none of these questions are meant to be taken in a condescending manner and I apologize in advance if any of them seem that way.);

What's the best way to improve your accuracy? Obviously it's practice but what are some tricks some of you use to make sure your arrows group well?

What's the best small game to start out hunting?

What grain tip is more preferred or is it all personal preference?

Do any of you use stabilizers or is that frowned upon as a trad hunter?

Thank you for your time,

Daveoo
Hoyt Game Master TD Recurve- 48#'s @ 28"

Checkmate Hunter TD Recurve- 59#'s @ 28"

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Beginner with Recurve
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
David,Get a paper plate and make a small dot in the middle of it.Start out shooting where you can get all your arrows in the plate.If you miss with one or more arrows,take one step closer to the target.If all the arrows hit the plate take only one step back and repeat.The TRICK is to shoot at the dot.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
My best accuracy tip would be to concentrate on nothing but the spot you want to hit.

Any small game hunting is good practice. Don't get discouraged though. Small game can be just as challenging as big.

Tip weight depends on finding the bow and arrow combination that is right for your bow and hunting needs.

Stabilizers could be useful in target shooting or to increase mass weight. I have never felt I needed one and like how light my bow is. Don't worry about whats frowned upon or acceptable. It's your bow have fun with it.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
"Do any of you use stabilizers or is that frowned upon as a trad hunter?"

Shoot what you like and don't worry about the trad police.  Heck in the film by Fred Bear titled rural route one they show a fellar using a stabilizer.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
“What's the best way to improve your accuracy? Obviously it's practice but what are some tricks some of you use to make sure your arrows group well?”
Do your best track someone down that is quite experienced with traditional equipment.
Most are more than willing to provide a helping hand and place you on the right path. Preferably it is someone who is a stickler for form. Establishing a routine for each and every shot will do wonders and will help you dissect issues when they crop up. A competent and willing guide may put you much further ahead than any books or videos. Having said that, there is valuable information w/I the Shooter’s forum. Note: Accuracy comes with consistency and actually permitting the bow to perform her magic.

“What's the best small game to start out hunting?”
Your pick….I prefer ground hogs especially when there is some cover.Rabbits have been easier but I do not wish to come in contact them until after the 1st frost.

“What grain tip is more preferred or is it all personal preference?”
Most generally, the front end wt which produces the best arrow flight and doesn’t simulate a dry fire nor affects the trajectory such that you are limited well below your shooting ability.
I would advise maintaining an arrow wt of 9 gpp minimum.

“Do any of you use stabilizers or is that frowned upon as a trad hunter?”
I don’t, yet believe it is up to the individual as it happens to be their own choice. Do note that a stabilizer may be an inhibitor when shooting the numerous precarious shooting positions encountered while on the traditional journey.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline GabeGa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
straight wrist-steady grip, breathe-pull string to max draw , visualize impact point , release- steady release...<> this is all ...for me , on my bear Kodiak i have a stabilizer+lock on frame with a wrist band, i also have a  red laser beam pointer on check-it sight mount, on my Hoyt-Polaris recurve66- 30#limbs take-down.
i am not very good...but i like it a lot...Re-Curve'R

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
Huge thanks to all that replied, I'll take the paper plate idea in to action as soon as this rain decides to stop.

Also @Friend, I'm not exactly familiar with the term "gpp" if you could elaborate it would be much appreciated.

Again, thank you all for responding. I didn't expect the responses to come this quick.  :)

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
'gpp' - total arrow wt in grains per actual draw weight.

example - Total arrow wt is 450 grains
......... Bow spec - [email protected] drawing 28"
......... 450 grains/50#'s = 9 gpp
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline GabeGa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Friend:
'gpp' - total arrow wt in grains per actual draw weight.

example - Total arrow wt is 450 grains
......... Bow spec - [email protected] drawing 28"
......... 450 grains/50#'s = 9 gpp
and you need a 100-125GR field/target point , depends on the feathers cut parabolic or shield, but again that's just me...Im also new to this  Trad re-curve thingy.
practice and experiment ,... everybody knows theory
i am not very good...but i like it a lot...Re-Curve'R

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
Here's a shot of my grouping after about 5 or six practice shots. It's only at maybe 10 feet but that's all the room I had in my basement. I was itching to shoot and it's dark out, haha.

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
I agree with Friend.  Work on form and shot sequence consistency first and accuracy will come.  I don't know where you are in Michigan but if you're near Grand Haven and you want to shoot sometime send me a PM.  I'm no coach but I can share what works for me.  By the way; it took me 15 years to find what works for me.

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
Unfortunately that's way out of reach for me. I was living in the lower peninsula for a while but moved back home to the kingsford iron mountain area.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
By all means, if you can find an experienced shooter to coach you, do it. It will shorten the learning curve greatly and avoid unnecessary frustration. You've got a great bow there. I have one and love it. You need to get arrows matched to the bow at YOUR draw length and weight and learn basic shooting form. If you can't find some one-on-one help, I would recommend Shooting The Stickbow by Anthony Camera (goes by Viper on ***********).
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Lex Hoffman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
Another resource you may find helpful is the "Masters of the Barebow" series.  Volume III has a lot of information on proper form, and Volume II has a section on arrow tuning.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by Lex Hoffman:
Another resource you may find helpful is the "Masters of the Barebow" series.  Volume III has a lot of information on proper form, and Volume II has a section on arrow tuning.
DITTO
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Indiana-jim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »
Rod Jenkins is the best way to improve. Find a class near you and take it.Just my opinion
Jim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©