3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ain't this the way of things?  (Read 242 times)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Ain't this the way of things?
« on: September 03, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
Opening morning of elk season; I'm skulking through some black timber, taking a few steps and glassing. The morning is dead quiet except for the occasional chattering of a pine squirrel. I stop every few paces, glass for a minute or two, and then cautiously move a few more paces. My confidence is high that I will score on a cow this year; it has been a long time since I arrowed an elk, and it would sure be nice to have some elk meat in the freezer. I have not seen a bull elk in a couple of years while hunting, but this year I have a cow tag, so that should make my chances a little better. There are always more cows around than bulls.
I have glassed this one patch of woods for about two minutes, and as I take a couple of steps forward, I see a patch of brown about 25 yards ahead. I immediately freeze, and as I do, a big 6 point bull stands, looks towards me for a second or two, and casually walks away. For that short time, he offers a nice broadside shot.    :banghead:  
Maybe the next outing will produce a girl elk, but why do I feel like all I will see this year are bulls?
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ain't this the way of things?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
I hear ya centaur!  Got a buck only tag this year and does upon does are what I am seeing so far...

Keep at it..and good luck!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline threeundr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
Pat, I think they call it Murphy's Law or something like that. But when you least expect it, perseverance will pay off! Good luck this year buddy.

-Leonard-
-Leonard-

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
Nice to see a great bull! Not that close when you have no tag. Bad luck! Better ahead.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline pauljr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
Buddy I hear ya, but count your blessings to be hunting those critters. We only have whitetails to hunt here (not that thats a bad thing). Id love to see a bull elk in the wild. Good luck!!!
PBS Associate Member

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it" Woodrow F Call

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
Believe me guys, I am very fortunate to live where the elk do and still be physically fit enough to be able to hunt them. But it would be nice to taste an elk steak every few years. I could go blast one with a rifle, but I don't think the steak would taste nearly as good as if I could again have a close encounter of the elk kind and put a port orford cedar in the boiler room.

It is a treat just to be in country that elk call home. I never cease to appreciate the beauty of high alpine country, and never cease to keep after wapitis. Although they frustrate me to no end, they are still an animal that fascinates me in their ghostly ways, and the sight of a big bull in his element is something that everyone who loves wild country should see.

As the Mark Baker song says, "I'll keep on trying".

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »
Believe you get it entirely C. Hope we can pass along some of this good stuff to the new guys. Appreciate every day, especially every day in the bow woods.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
Missed seeing you at qualification this year. Hope sucess comes today!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
Next year I should make it down to Casper, JW. I'll head back up to the Bighorns in a few days, but I'm going to harass some whitetails in the meantime.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
Glad you found one. Now just follow him around till he gathers up a few ladies
TGMM Family of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©