3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BH Target Suggestions...  (Read 451 times)

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
BH Target Suggestions...
« on: September 03, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
I have the Chance (Thank You John!!) to  REALLY  do some Hunting, and I am  AMPED!!   :thumbsup:     Any and  ALL  Input is Appreciated!!
   Got until October, so My Time is Ticking Away faster than I like!!   :pray:      :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: BH Target Suggestions...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
I am interested in people's thought on material for BH.  I have used big styrofaom in the past, but looking for something better.  Thoughts?
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
I cant afford the "BroadHead Targets' out on the Market...... so I am Hoping.....
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
Shakes.602,
Can't beat a good ole pile of sand   :thumbsup:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
A good thick old couch cushion allowed to swing by ropes will usally stop one. Works better with screw on heads so you don't have to pull your arrows through.  Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
I bought some old 3D inserts from our local club at $2.00 each.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
What MJB said! Or a ditch bank.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
Living in upstate NY, a guy found a big block of dock foam floating in a small stream. He about had a hernia getting it to the truck, being water logged, but 4 of us shot that thing all summer long w/ broadheads or field points.

Never shot out! It was BIG and THICK!

I think the durability came from being water-logged!  We had to keep a old towel beside it to wipe the water off the shafts each shot from 'static cling'. Worked good though...but where do you find old water logged dock blocks?
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
Go to Tractor Supply and ask them for the foam blocks they have for the trailors they get in. They will give you them for free. I liquidnail 4 together and it makes a great BH target. It's FREE!!!!!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
In the river Doc!!!!!!!!!!!!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
After hurricane Irene we have them(foam from boat docks) all over the Hudson River!! I have to agree about a pile of dirt, you can usually get a couple yards delivered for under $50 and it lasts forever, just turn it over now and than. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by leatherneck:
In the river Doc!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sage advice there, bub!   :biglaugh:  

Our River, Susquehanna, has too many power damns on it and dock blocks would never hang around! Side's that, the access is very, very steep and I'm not a marine and I'm also not man enough to haul one up to any spot I could park! Maybe a life jacked and a paddle and I could ride one to a boat launch, eh?  :)

I STILL haven't found a Tractor Supply around here! But thanks for reminding me!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
A pile of dirt is good....but put a couple of sandbags in front of it to shoot at.  You can always put the sand in new bags once they're too shot up.

I also use some of my older bag targets that I stuff with plastic.  It'll go right through one, but if there's one placed a couple of feet behind it it'll probably stop it.  And if ya have a new bag handy you can load all the shot up stuff into it.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
dirt or sand bank works real good
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Onlyaspike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by leatherneck:
Go to Tractor Supply and ask them for the foam blocks they have for the trailors they get in. They will give you them for free. I liquidnail 4 together and it makes a great BH target. It's FREE!!!!!
These work GREAT....I saw them sitting off to the side at the local "TS" about 3 months ago....picked up 6 and they work GREAT.
Hoyt Gamemaster 2....APG Camo 45#

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
I've salvaged dock foam a time or two- I found that thick pieces will tend to hold so tightly to the shaft that they were almost impossible to pull. I sawed my blocks to about 10" thick and they were perfect, except for the mess.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
Rhinehart Rhino Block
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Online freeman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 02:32:00 AM »
The pink insulation board will make a decent and cheap target. Drawbacks, it will melt from friction and glue itself to your arrow (hard to pull). I used to use a doubled up 4'x4'x 2"(sheet cut in half) as a backstop behind my target. I'd also use it to test my broadhead arrows. A little acetone on a rag cleaned up any residue left on the shaft. There are better choices for a broadhead target, but if you already have the materials it will work to make sure you're getting good flight with your broadheads.

Offline Zenzele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 03:31:00 AM »
Large milk bottle with spray foam - the stuff you use to fill in gaps in pipes or masonry. (we call it builders foam) one can usually does about 5 targets.... to stop the bottle going to pieces I duct tape it once the foam is set, simply paint a red dot on the side....
'It's better to have less thunder in the mouth, and more lightning in the hand.' - Apache proverb

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
I gotta say - I spent $80 on a "blob" target off the back of a trailer at a bow shoot - best money ever spent on targets

This thing is made of foam similar to a 3d target,  but is bigger and weighs 200+ pounds. - around 4 foot tall and 3 foot wide

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©