3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ultimate Summitt climber system!  (Read 557 times)

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Ultimate Summitt climber system!
« on: September 04, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
Now is the time of year where we have lots of "which climber should I buy?" threads.  I thought I would share what I use.

I bought a Summitt Razor a few years ago, and it was a nice stand, but not quite what I needed.  It was a decent trad bow hunting stand with the sit and climb bar that would fold away.  It also served well for a rifle stand, but not perfect.  I found adjusting the bar a pain.  I wanted more freedom of shooting out of a bow stand, and a permanent sit bar for a rifle stand.

After some research, I found that the Razor, Viper, Blade SD, Dagger SD, and Goliath climbers all used the same bottom section.  I really wanted an Open Shot top section for bowhunting, but the bottom section that comes with the Open Shot is 20" wide by 24 3/4" long, which was too small for me.  I ended up buying just the top from Summitt, and using the bottom section from my Razor which measures 20" wide by 28 3/4" long.  Perfect bowhunting stand!  I sold the top section of my Razor and bought a Goliath top section and an Open Shot top section.  Now I have two stands in one!  The perfect bow stand and the perfect rifle stand.  I've heard that Summitt will sell any combo that you want.

Here is how I have modified the Open Shot.  She comes with a very comfortable cushion and an open frame underneath.  I found the cushion would slide around some and fall through the hole.  I remedied that with a piece of 3/16" ABS plastic.  I thin piece of plywood would serve well here.

I then stuck a piece of industrial velcro on each side where the seat contacts in the lower position.

I climb with my forearms resting on the cushion, while griping these 45 deg braces near the rear of the stand.  I cut lengths of broom stick down the center, and wrapped some cord over them to make comfortable grips.

I like a pull rope that stays attached to the stand.  I came up with this cleat system made out of a piece of marine starboard scrap.

Any hand climber requires a little more work in climbing, but if a fat guy like me can do it, most others should be able to manage.  I'm 5' 10" and weigh 240!  My abs are sore after making a couple of climbs, but the effort is well worth it for me.  I always plan to start a month before the season making a couple of climbs in my backyard each morning to "get in shape", but It never works out!    :)  

A couple of military surplus A.L.I.C.E. pack straps make carrying it a breeze!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline michbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ultimate Summitt climber system!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
Awesome!  How do those foot stirrups work?  I have an older Summit and hate the strap system.  I would guess it would eliminate the need to bend over and attach the straps??

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
The stirrups are the bomb. So much easier than the old strap system. Worth every penny.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
Yep, the stirrups are nice.

Offline Green Mountain Boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
I've done the same thing with a summit viper and a bushmaster. Couldn't agree more about the stirrups!
That's why they call it hunting....

No Name 50# at 28" (maybe Ben Pearson)
'69 Bear Grizzly 40# at 28"
Great Plains Wolf Creek  50# at 28" one piece
Fruit of the Loom Size Large

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
how much does it weigh?
 i have been considering the same thing. i have vipper ss. closed in front, i did'nt know you could just buy the top section... that would be nice to keep what i have and not have to buy a complete stand!
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
Those are some very handy modifications! I used to work at Summit Treestands, and in my free moments at work, I'd try and come up with the perfect stand for the trad bowhunter. ...since the treestand world doesn't seem to care to.. I took an old Openshot top (the seat doesnt fold up) and paired it with a Broadhead bottom (that folds flat) and then welded on a sort of rope cleat similar to yours. It only weighs about 14 pounds and packs up super compact so I can ride my motorcycle or my mountain bike to my huntin spots. If I had a newer top like yours it would be that much better. Guess I need to stop by and visit my old coworkers for a "reject" top! Perfect stand you got there!
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
Call customer service at Summit and ask if they have any scratch and dent tops or bottoms... Paint defects, scratches, or just ugly but they are still structurally sound. They dont usually sell the whole stand that way, but don't mind sellin you a top or bottom. At least they used to.    :thumbsup:
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
They claim the Open Shot stand weighs 15 pounds, so I'm guessing 16-16.5# for mine.

Offline swampmaster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
thats my setup too. its lightweight and easy to climb with. i added a foam pad to the platform to make it silent and helps my feet from getting too cold too quick in the dead of winter.

jim

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
I've been reading about the Open Shot in back threads. Alot of 'Likes', but no one has really said if it's comfortable.
Is the seat large enough to lean against the tree or is your butt up against the tree forcing you to lean forward? That position kills my back. At 6'6" and 240, I need a large seat so I can scoot forward and lean against the tree. Love the look of the Open Shot. I can get the top and use with my Viper bottom.

Apex, nice modifications too.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »
I'm a big boy, and I have no problems going to sleep in her.  :)   I've sat for 2.5 hours without standing, and I have a bad back, and bad knees.  It's not as comfortable as a Viper, but not bad at all.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
Just bought the Summit Open Shot last Tuesday and love it! I used it every time I hunted this last week. I knew the few things about it people didn't like and I planned for those issues.  There isn't another stand I would trade it for in terms of an archery climber. It is definitely not over 15 lbs and I packed it a long way in  over some serious terrain. With it I nearly got a shot at my best buck ever! I have big plans for it the rest of this season. The price was also great at just $219.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
Im thinking of getting teh Open shot top, but might have to wait till next year. I pretty much blew my hunting "budget" out of the water with the Colorado trip.

I have the Summit Viper, and havent really found the railing to be a huge issue. I use a HSS safety vest, and when standing I just nmove to the front of the stand, and havent had a situation yet where I coudnt shoot due to bow clearance. THe one theing I dont like is a cant shoot from a sitting postion, but man is that seat comfy for long sits on stand. I alternate standing and sitting, and towards the last hour or so, I always stand.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline AMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
That's some good info Apex. I've been studying on a climber for every now and then.  This might be the ticket.  Good to know the length of the platforms differ, I would definitely go for the longer one.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
Great thread!  Would anyone know if the Open Shot top can be paired with a Bushmaster bottom?  Or would it not pack properly.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
Apex,

P.M. Sent.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
Not sure of the specs on the Bushmaster. Maybe you could measure it? The standard 6 channel (6 cross bar supports) platform measures 20" X 28 3/4", and the one that comes with the Open Shot is a 4 channel platform that measures 20" X 24 3/4". The Open Shot top doesn't nestle perfectly in the larger one, but is real solid when cinching down the strap. I hope this helps.
Marty

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
Apex now that's a great idea!

Offline paoloi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 07:12:00 AM »
Good to know. I was thinking about buying a climber for next season, hang ons and climbing sticks are breaking the bank. How long would you say it takes to get all set up once you hit your tree? Does it make a crap load of noise when getting set up?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©