3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: buzzcut vs. stingers - which is better?  (Read 537 times)

Offline RUTANDSTRUT

• Trad Bowhunter
buzzcut vs. stingers - which is better?
« on: September 04, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »
do you guys think the serrated edge on a buzzcut will give you any advantage (or disadvantage) over the stingers straight edge? (bloodtrails, penetration, hole size, etc.) thnx in advance

Offline swamprooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: buzzcut vs. stingers - which is better?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »
I shoot plain so I can easily resharpen them, razor sharp out of the package is a myth. Chris

Offline giff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
it depends on what you like, stingers are 2 blade, buzzcuts are 4

Offline swamprooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
Giff, You can get 4 blade stingers too. Chris

Offline Lamplighter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
I use the 4 blade regular Stinger (non-buzz).  I have killed with both.  Based on Ol School advice about a ultra sharp clean cut ( like when you cut yourself shaving) not giving the blood platlets something to cling to, the non-buzz will deny platlets a cling, so the animal is more likely to continue bleeding.

A jagged cut is rough, and blood platlets immediately cling & begin stopping the bleeding. So, with that, the buzz cut is more of a new gimmick when they came out, knowing that the average joe is sparked by something new every year, a marketing tactic used smartly by camo manuf.   Get the regular stuff man.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
For what it's worth. CEO of Magnus (Mike Sohm) favors the Buzzcut. Says it does amazing damage.

He's going to send me some to try, so I'll let you know.

I suspect it doesn't matter one little bit.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by Lamplighter:
I use the 4 blade regular Stinger (non-buzz).  I have killed with both.  Based on Ol School advice about a ultra sharp clean cut ( like when you cut yourself shaving) not giving the blood platlets something to cling to, the non-buzz will deny platlets a cling, so the animal is more likely to continue bleeding.

A jagged cut is rough, and blood platlets immediately cling & begin stopping the bleeding. So, with that, the buzz cut is more of a new gimmick when they came out, knowing that the average joe is sparked by something new every year, a marketing tactic used smartly by camo manuf.   Get the regular stuff man.
Exactly!
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
the buzzcuts cut is not rough at all, it makes a smooth cut with the way the serrations are designed.  the serrations just add for cutting edges that will grab and cut arteries.  i use to use them in my compound and there nice heads. plus the animal will be dead as can be by the time the wound start clotting.

my buzzcuts came alot sharper then my stinger. my stinger were dull and the buzzcuts shaved hair easy right out for hte pack. i like the buzzcuts more and penetration wise they seem the same to me, both fly the same as well.   ethier way both will kill.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
Woody Sanford posted an answer to this question on one of the wheelie bow forums a couple years back. Can't find the thread now but he said that the serrations in the Buzz-cuts are there for people who can't get the Stingers as sharp as they could be.

Now don't shoot the messenger...  :scared:

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
Have to agree about the jagged cut theory, try to get a paper cut to stop bleeding, than cut yourself with serrated steak knife, the steak knife cut when squeezed together for a few seconds binds to itself and closes up pretty quick. That said, placed in the right spot both will kill very quickly. Double lung is double lung even with a sharpened stick! Shawn
Shawn

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
buzzcuts don't create a jagged cut any more than the smooth blades create a jagged cut.

Check out the video below. Start at 3:40. He gives the reason for the new design.

http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/buzzcut.html

I've used both. I will use both this season. I think they're both gona work just fine.

Offline StephenG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
Goods arguments for both types. One thing that was not mentioned about buzzcuts is that they will produce more resistance drag as they pass into the animal. It may not make enough difference to matter much but it is still fact. My thought is that Fred Bear used straight edge, and if Fred was happy with them then so am I. Remember that most fishing lures are designed to catch more fishermen than fish, same with everything else. Stay with what is proven. You'll be better off in the long run. JMHO

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
Grab a roast, a serrated knife, and a regular blade knife. Now slice the roast up using both knives.
 Smoother is better.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 06:47:00 AM »
They are a different type of serration than that on a knife(which requires a sawing motion to work). Knife is like a V upside down - buzzcut is more square and does not leave a jagged edge while cutting thru in one direction and do not cause more drag. Each leading edge of the serration acts like the tip of the broadhead.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 07:52:00 AM »
How do you sharpen a serrated edge?
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
You sharpen the Buzzcuts just like you do the Stingers.  My wife shoots a compound and after I spoke with Mike Sohm at a trade show a few years ago, we went with the Buzzcuts for her.  He's the one that told me to sharpen them like the Stingers.  I figure if the owner of a broadhead company picks the Buzzcut out of all his products, and that's what he personally uses, then that's good enough for me!  Lol!  Although I have to say, I use the VPA Terminators out of my longbow and I don't think you can find a better broadhead than VPA.  Lol!
-Jameson

Membership Secretary
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by ranger 3:
Grind off the serrations, then sharpen as usual,  :biglaugh:  

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by ranger 3:
check out the link I posted on the first page. It's a video of him sharpening.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
For what it's worth. CEO of Magnus (Mike Sohm) favors the Buzzcut. Says it does amazing damage.

He's going to send me some to try, so I'll let you know.

I suspect it doesn't matter one little bit.
Charlie is right as ususal. I shoot both in the 150 grain with bleeders configuration. They both work great. I agree that touch ups are easier with the straight edge. Because I have quit fussing with broadheads and settled on the Stinger, I use both so I at least have SOME variability.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
Mike Sohm told me that the lower  the poundage you shoot, the more benificial the Buzzcut is.  He used to respond on quite a few of the archery forums and he was very consistant in his advice.  I believe I had heard somewhere that he has walked away from the broadhead side of the business now though...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©