3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Safety Harness Questions  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Green Mountain Boy

• Trad Bowhunter
Safety Harness Questions
« on: September 04, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
Hi All
First off, thanks for everyone being so generous with their time and knowledge, just reading others posted questions and the thoughtful answers posted back has made me a much better archer.

Praise aside, I am in the market for a new safety harness, I was wondering a couple of things:
1. What harness do you use?
2. Would you buy it again if you needed a new one?
         - comfort
         - ease of use
         - durability
         - value for the price

Thanks in advance for your responses.
That's why they call it hunting....

No Name 50# at 28" (maybe Ben Pearson)
'69 Bear Grizzly 40# at 28"
Great Plains Wolf Creek  50# at 28" one piece
Fruit of the Loom Size Large

Offline Huntingnut

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Safety Harness Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
I have a HSS Pro vest.
-It is very comfortable.
-takes 30 seconds to put on and take off.
-I've not used it long enough to have an opinion on durability, but it seems very well made.
-it is expensive, around $150.But it is much cheaper than a trip to the ER, or the morgue.

I would definitely buy another.

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
I use the Seat of the Pants.  Good harness, once you get used to it.  Fairly simple to use.
Yes I'd buy another one. (oh yes Full Body Harnesses have an EXP. Date on them)
HSS is another good one.
There are some of the newer ones out that have a decender built into them, just in case you fall and need it to get down.  Haven't used one yet, but will have one by next season to use in the Treestand Safety Course, and will likely get one for myself and my bride.
Just be sure to get one that has been tested by the Treestand Manfactures Assn.  They have a web site where you can check out most of the treestands and harnesses on the market.
JAG/Johnny
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »
Find someone who is a "linesman" and get one of their old harnesses, they are good enough to work in all day so that's good enough for me.  I like mine, easy to put on, safe enough for industry and color coded so it's impossible to put on wrong.

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
hss...ill buy another if i ever wear this one out,nice off and on,comfortable,and you can buy the stuff you need for it,priced fairly well
i like biscuits

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »
Just be sure to have a suspension relief plan.  If you fall and can't get back on stand you need a suspension relief strap or a descender as JAG said; otherwise they say you go unconcious in about five minutes hanging in a full body harness.  I'll have to admit I did not know this until I recently watched that little safety DVD that comes with new treestands.  Have a safe hunting season!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
My son and I have been using HSS for a few years. I was looking for a 'better' one yesterday in fact. I'm intrigued with the newer type that have sort of a stiff skeleton with no cloth vest. I'm thinking they might be less noticable.

My biggest issue with the HSS and the older freebies that came with tree stands is the lack of mobility when you have to turn around to shoot the other side. It seems the strap tying you to the tree invariably gets in the way of the drawing elbow.

I checked out the "Spyder" vest yesterday but I didn't want to spend $129 (was $149) at the moment to replace a perfectly servicable HSS.

Offline Green Mountain Boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
I think I'm leaning toward the HSS pro series, great reviews and on sale in a couple of places.
That's why they call it hunting....

No Name 50# at 28" (maybe Ben Pearson)
'69 Bear Grizzly 40# at 28"
Great Plains Wolf Creek  50# at 28" one piece
Fruit of the Loom Size Large

Offline Red4arm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
I use a HSS vest it's fine but I like the looks of the spyder system,but like Bowwild said, it's a little pricey. Don't forget to get the linesmen rope. Most of the falls occur while climbing. Also learn a the prucis knot, slips up a line until there is pressure on it. I probably spelled it wrong. My brother fell a couple of years ago when a old climber cable broke. He was hurt badly but was able to recover, we use a harness and linesmen belt now.
Not matter which you buy, USE IT

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
I've been looking to replace mine also. I really like the looks of the Tree Spider system with the lowering attachment. And yes the 129.00 plus has me hung up, but how much is going home worth? I'll keep hinting to my wife until she tells me to leave her alone and just get it! She makes up my mind alot that way.
Glenn

Offline Nole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 06:06:00 AM »
I have the Muddy Harness and the HSS.  I like them both but lean more towards the Muddy Harness due to our warmer weather that we have here in the south.  It is very lightweight and comfortable.

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
I had a HSS but sold it, too dang hot here in Georgia during bow season, otherwise it worked very well.

I use the Muddy harness now but I use it with the Prussic knot set up like Summit uses. It is the easiest system to use while climbing with a climber, to secure yourself once at height and easily converts to a linesmans belt for hanging sticks and hand on stands.

The new harness from Gorilla looks good also.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »
I bought an older HSS Pro when they first came out, but it was too hot and heavy for me. I sweat real easy. I gave it to a friend for a XMAS present and went back to my old freebe that came with one of my Summits. It's real lightweight and I can put it on quick. If I get another one it will probably be a Muddy.

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
Has anybody tried the HSS Ultra Lite safety harness?
Glenn

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Coonbait:
Has anybody tried the HSS Ultra Lite safety harness?
Glenn
Yep,I've got one & really like it alot.
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
Chris, I have a SOP harness. I love it. I used to own a HSS but as others have said, too heavy, and the buckles were too bulky and noisy for my tastes.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
I've used the HSS Pro vest for almost 4 years. Mine is the older style, and a bit heavier, but would never be in a tree without it. Just think how heavy a wheelchair is !!

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
I was late coming to the full body harness camp and decided last year on the one Summit sells.  I think it might be the SOP version talked about.  Cool in the heat and fits over any combination of clothing.  I've not had any problem feeling restricted when drawing my bow and forget I have it on.  I put it on at my vehicle and take it off at my vehicle.
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
I'm getting the Rescue One CDS 2 this year. Being able to lowering yourself to the ground is a huge plus in my book. Suspension trama isn't a joke and can get you killed. Check out the video's on youtube for the Rescue One CDS 2. It'll make a believer out of ya. They also make a commercial 60ft version for you fellas workin in high places.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K33QyuCu1w&feature=player_embedded  

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
I just bought a rescue one cds and its the best harness on the market today hands down.It can be repacked by yourself no other vest can do that.Give it a look.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©