3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Safety Harness Questions  (Read 1063 times)

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Safety Harness Questions
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 11:41:00 PM »
I bought a Muddy last year and love it.  I set the catch rope just low enough that I can barely sit down so if I do fall it's only going to be like 2 feet and easy to get back in the stand. Comes with a climbing rope with pursic knot.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
I also bought the Rescue One CDS 11 and so far pleased. I've been getting used to it as this is the first time I've bought and used one (shame on me) but if you are going to get one might just as well get the best. Cant wait to do the test with it before hunting. Check them out.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
HSS
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
This may not be ground breaking news but wearing the harness under a layer or two of clothing with only the top strap exposed makes it less "in the way".  I completely forget I'm wearing it.

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Lost Arra:
This may not be ground breaking news but wearing the harness under a layer or two of clothing with only the top strap exposed makes it less "in the way".  I completely forget I'm wearing it.
The harness is meant to be worn on the outside of clothing. It is designed that way. If you wear it on the inside it could tighten the clothing around your neck if you do fall from the stand. I always wear the harness on the outside as it was intended. I personally don't recommed it but, if you feel comfortable enough with it then go for it. I also have a knife in an easy to reach spot just in case I do somehow become tangled in a weird way.
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
I recently bought a Gorilla G15 safety harness.  The lighter weight I like but it has some issues when it comes to adjustments; namely the straps don't stay where you put them once they're adjusted.  The straps that run under your thighs and hook to the waste belt tends to loosen up when you move around, other than that it's a pretty good product.  TRW

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
Kodiak: I'm not sure I understand the risk.

Not questioning your design statement but having a camo shirt over the shoulder and waist straps seems to reduce the risk of things getting tangled up plus there is less clothing between my neck and the harness. I'm with you on the handy knife.

From Summit (Seat of the Pants) and where I got the idea:

" Like all of our treestand harnesses, the FastBack can be worn over or under your standard hunting clothes, so you can put it on before you leave camp."

Offline troy butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
I have the gorilla G30 and it is alittle heavy in hand but once on cannot tell it. I had the G15 two but did not like the adjustment like said above and took it back for the G30.

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
I am new to treestand hunting and I got a HSS pro vest and the optional saftey rope with prussic knot. It was very easy to use and comfortable and I felt very safe. The extra pockets are very handy. No experience with other systems but would reccomend the HSS to my friends with no reservation. Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
Based on longbowben's recommendation I ordered the rescue one cds system.  I just got off the phone with the owner of the company and he said all harnesses can only be certified for 5 years based on TMA's rules but he said don't throw it away as it will last your lifetime.  He has been using the same one for 13 years.  He also said they are certified for two hard falls but soft falls like when you practice with it can be done as much as you want.  They use the same harness for 60 soft falls at shows when they are demonstrating the harness.  I did not know about suspension trauma until this year; thank God I never fell as you only have about five minutes hanging in a full body harness before you go unconcious and then you are dead.  You can use a suspension relief strap with harnesses that don't have a descent system to buy yourself more time but someone had better find you fairly soon.  Best of luck to everyone this season and above all else; hunt safe!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
I have used a lot of safety belts, harnesses, and one vest in the last 16 years, always trading up to a higher degree of safety. Yesterday my Rescue One CDS II was delivered. I am sooooooooooo impressed with this as being the safest possible treestand device on the market that I was just getting ready to post in the product reviews (and will) but will also post here.

As soon as I saw Dr. Woods (originator/designer) promo video I knew I wanted one  but the cost was high enough that I was sure I'd never afford it before my hunting days were over (76 next month). However, the more I watched that video and read about it The more convinced I became that i would feel much safer with one - sooner, rather than later. A dear old friend told me about a company (not a sponsor - yet) that "Demonstrates" the products they carry, and have the lowest price plus limited time free shipping. I checked them out and their demo video was perhaps even more convincing, So I ordered one and it came UPS (free shipping). This thing is so well thought out, planned, designed to cover all the little things that others don't quite get right, although they may "do the job", that I give great kudos to the designer. I also praise the company I ordered it from just for making it where my budget break (recent bingo luck) would allow me to order mine - NOW.

IMO everyone should do yourself a favor and, at the least, check this "One" out with an eye/mind towards how much value your life as a non-disabled hunter is to you and your loved ones, no matter how many seasons you may or may not have left    :D  

(put it in a search or PM/e-mail me - I get nothing out of it but safety satisfaction)
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline markd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
Best kept secret in all of hunting....the basic Rappelling seat! I used to love to go rappelling and spent many a day suspended up to 200 feet in the air by my basic rappelling seat and a good Black Diamond kernmantle rappelling rope. No discomfort and no going unconscious. Rock climbers and rappelling enthusiasts spend hours in such rigs daily around the world. It amazes me that hunters have not discovered rappelling equipment and instead wear those big bulky "hunting" harnesses and vests that are bulky and uncomfortable and cumbersome. I never know I have my rappelling seat on over my pants. If I fall then I am suspended by the same rope I intentionally use with the same high quality caribeaner connectors. Black Diamond and Chinard(sp?) both make great seats for well under $100.

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
I use the SOP harness and i like using the line with the prussit knot allows you to adjust the distance from the tree and I feel very safe and secure. I had a hunters safety system but the strap you wrap around the tree was too short I was always limited to my space shooting from my treestand. I believe they offer the same rope now that the SOP harness has. There are so many models on the market today but my SOP is pretty light weight compared to other models. I hope my review helped be safe and there are alot of choices on the market but as long as you wear one and come home safe everytime you go hunting
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
I'll drink to that, babs - well not really because I hardly ever drink even one anymore, but i do agree that the important thing is to wear some kind of protection, every time you go "up".
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
I use the HSS vest.  The only complaint I have is that it's hot for early season hinting in Louisiana.   If I were to buy again, I'd go with a Muddy Harness.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
I use the original HSS harness, real hot in the early season and kinda heavy. I keep myself connected high enough and short enough I don't think I would have trouble getting back on the platform. The rescue one sounds great but no funds for that right now.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
I started using a SOP quite a while back and have stuck with them.  They are a decent product and I find them pretty simple to use.

Say whatever you want. . I HAVE come out of a tree lotsa times wearing lotsa belts, chest harnesses, and full body harnesses.  I did this for Bow Hunter Ed.  I know what they do and what I can do after a fall.

My advice. .  wear one (full body harness).  It may save your life.  Don't even think about those old safety belts, although the pieces are great for strapping stuff to your tree, like fanny packs etc.

ChuckC

Offline TRADSTYK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
I use the HSS vest and like it alot. It is not hot and I can shoot my longbow very well with it on. I would buy another.

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
waknstak IL,  I don't think I will ever fall from a stand unless the stand fails or breaks in some way and at that point you have no platform to get back to.  Check out the video link in the previous post and at least have a suspension relief strap and someone that will look for you.  I hunt alone alot and use climbers and loc ons and if something happens I need to get to the ground safely as it may be 15 or 20 hours before I am missed and someone is looking for me.  I finally watched the free safety DVD provided with new stands and it shows how to use a suspension relief strap.  Hunt safe; keep hunting!

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »
HHS for me - easy on - easy off.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©